[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

HaHaHaHaha! Yes, I named a file "Angelique: Kidnapping: Final Mark and Cut."
Later, I looked at it, just knowing that if someone has to go through my hard drive, they are going to have *QUESTIONS!*
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Keys 40

INTRO and OUTRO should read: Part 3, Chapter 8 (no mention of section #), and at
:22 just Chapter 8 (no mention of Part #)

It's a often hard to tell where the New York times and other articles begin and end, and when Stowe is making her comments (barely visible in the text via differing font size). For consistency, I thus recommend quote/end quotes at 1:37, 7:03, 7:35, 10:27, 10:49, 17:19

I remember as a child, hearing adults talk about "the cold war", I was horrified to learn that Russians couldn't travel in their own country without their identifying papers on their person. How suppressive of human liberty is that, I thought! Then I got my driver's license, and realized, neither could I!!!! :(
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_27_stowe_128kb.mp3 33:51

Section 27 Part 2, Chapter 13 of A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

BLUSH BLUSH BLUSH!
Hand cradling bent head
The O & I … And I tried to be SO careful, having read the form and checking it and ect. Thank you for catching it; I always feel so badly about giving you work on what should be the simple tasks!
I hope you shall forgive me for this more easily than I do myself. Laugh

And Oh! My! *Gushing Thanks* for telling where those quotes should be.
As I read it, I thought “Well. I suppose, as it flows so well, Stowe didn't distinguish between the cited source and her own comments, as she usually does so well?”
And thus I am again reminded that “suppose” and “assume” have very similar meanings, as the terms have coursed through history.
Ah, hm.
I shall ask you when next any form of that self-statement is made!

Ohhh, but myyyy. In points in my dreams, there are times of judgement against such as Marks, Haley, Eppes &c in which the trial begins with
“You shall speak The TRUTH about your part in outrageous to humanity actions! OR … I Shall STRIKE down upon you with Furrrious Vengeanccccce!” *Laugh*
I thought I'd mostly just cast them now before listeners for what I HOPE will be be their condemnation of these “gentelmen”, sans right or honor. *wink* and
"Ugk!"

Ohhh, yes. A Key to Uncle Tom's Cabin would be a wonderful work by which a student could draw comparisons between this era of “America's Shame” and now.
But ohhh, that tangent has been brewing (and has been spit and spilled, too!) for a while … Laugh …

and so I shall go to apply your well noted and appreciated notes of corrections to myself!
As always, it is a pleasure to work with you, Michele.
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_40_stowe_128kb.mp3 18:16

Here we are; I was able to squint and see where the italicized text was, which corresponded well with your time marks for correction.

I am also learning much from your tips shared with other readers, and must say; I'm looking forward to hearing Mr. Jones' chapters. Not only do I enjoy your voice, sir, based on another short work of yours, but appreciate your dedication and commiserate on "Oh! Yes! That makes sense!" and then off for the re-do we go.

Michele, please let me know if I somehow messed up on the quotes; I've reviewed carefully, but ... *shrug* ... I alwayyyys do even to find that *MAN!* *Laugh*

Best,
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 27

30:04 I apprehend, I hear I prehend. (which I thought at first must mean "I pretend", which didn't make sense.

Stranger than fiction, indeed! Horror fiction.

I know you just got a new mike, Bill. Did you record with one mike, and make corrections with another? I ask because the insertions sound so very different. Of course, this can also occur at different times of day, when you change locations, differing conditions of your vocal chords like sipping hot coffee or cold drinks, being stopped up with a cold, etc. Everything is understandable, but am just alerting you to some possible causes to keep in mind for the future recordings.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:00 pm PL Notes Section 27

30:04 I apprehend, I hear I prehend. (which I thought at first must mean "I pretend", which didn't make sense.

Stranger than fiction, indeed! Horror fiction.

I know you just got a new mike, Bill. Did you record with one mike, and make corrections with another? I ask because the insertions sound so very different. Of course, this can also occur at different times of day, when you change locations, differing conditions of your vocal chords like sipping hot coffee or cold drinks, being stopped up with a cold, etc. Everything is understandable, but am just alerting you to some possible causes to keep in mind for the future recordings.
MsFry, Your surmise is correct. Recorded first with an old mic, emended with another. I feel bad about the glaring differences of the patched places. For micro-seconds at a time, I consider re-recording everything with the new mic.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm MsFry, Your surmise is correct. Recorded first with an old mic, emended with another. I feel bad about the glaring differences of the patched places. For micro-seconds at a time, I consider re-recording everything with the new mic.
Rather than re-record, I could share my tips on how to feather in and make edits less obvious. I would certainly consider this rather than start from scratch. There are tricks to this trade, ya know!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_27_stowe_128kb.mp3 33:51

With correction at 30:04.

Thanks for catching that blip.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

27 in PL OK.
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 13th, 2018, 2:32 pm Michele, please let me know if I somehow messed up on the quotes; I've reviewed carefully, but ... *shrug* ... I alwayyyys do even to find that *MAN!* *Laugh*
Spot PL Notes Section 40

Intro at :22 says Chapter 3.8. (Delete 3. should just say Chapter 8)

Still no "end quote" of the article at 7:03--(a real impotant one in my opinion as the following comments are by Stowe).
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 14th, 2018, 6:02 pm
williamjones wrote: August 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm MsFry, Your surmise is correct. Recorded first with an old mic, emended with another. I feel bad about the glaring differences of the patched places. For micro-seconds at a time, I consider re-recording everything with the new mic.
Rather than re-record, I could share my tips on how to feather in and make edits less obvious. I would certainly consider this rather than start from scratch. There are tricks to this trade, ya know!
I guess I've reached the TIPping point. Please *DO* share your tips with me (and any passersby).
I feel guilty that I don't know how to make things better.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

hello

ok here is revised section 4
i used the truncate silence on the whole file just to make all the pauses a little shorter.
then i went through and cut out alot of silence space that were to long or shouldnt have been there at all.
I have a bad habit of pausing where there is no puncuation marks in the text.
Anyway the new file has about 3 minutes less silence than the old

thanks

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_04_stowe_128kb.mp3 50.46
pistol pete, CC
msfry

Post by msfry »

pmstrahm wrote: August 15th, 2018, 8:32 am I have a bad habit of pausing where there is no puncuation marks in the text.
Anyway the new file has about 3 minutes less silence than the old
Thanks, and don't feel bad. I have a bad habit of making a tick mark with my tongue before every in-breath. As much as I have tried to train myself not to do that, I still do it half the time, and have to laboriously go through my whole file and remove them. Once in awhile would be fine, but over and over and over gets annoying to listen to. Keep in mind that even the professionals have to pay editors to fix their podcasts and make them sound "professional", to the tune I've heard of up to $1.75 per minute of file length submitted!!!!!!! We are DIY'ers!

I look forward to reviewing your file.
GFulczyk

Post by GFulczyk »

I would like to claim chapter 41
"Slaves as they are, on Testimony of Owners" :)