[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Bill
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Bit the bullet to edit this long section.
I'll not comment further, or I'll be here all night.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_55_stowe_128kb.mp3 42:10
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: October 5th, 2018, 8:34 pm Bit the bullet to edit this long section.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_55_stowe_128kb.mp3 42:10
You have so roused my curiousity, I might be here all night!!!!!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:38 am Oops, Angelique is without wi fi at the moment. Would someone care to PL my Section 56?
Sure!

An excellent and convicting response.
Well read as always, and PL OK.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: October 5th, 2018, 8:40 pm
silverquill wrote: October 5th, 2018, 8:34 pm Bit the bullet to edit this long section.

You have so roused my curiousity, I might be here all night!!!!!
Just so repugnant to me that people used the Gospel to justify slavery, that God created them to be slaves and that obedience to their masters is duty to God because he has place them over them. And to coerce them with fears of hell.... Slavery is horrific enough in itself, but to use the Gospel of Jesus Christ to justify it is particularly damnable. There, I've said it!
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: October 5th, 2018, 9:32 pm
msfry wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:38 am Oops, Angelique is without wi fi at the moment. Would someone care to PL my Section 56?
Sure!

An excellent and convicting response.
Well read as always, and PL OK.
It was a rousing ending! Thanks for the PL.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 55

A few items that I think need attention:
30:15 it is the greatest mercy, I hear misery
33:28 There is a great comfort in that, I hear conflict, and you could go ahead and re-record the rest of the sentence as something loud is going by.
37:35 repeat "All things whatsoever ye would that" + a long silence.

There is a certain musical cadence to Stowe's writing that makes it a pleasure to read, which you synced up with perfectly. :thumbs:
Yes, a searing chapter, indeed. What utter rubbish, pure blasphemy!
There was one good laugh in the piece:
"Bishop Meade, as quoted by Brooke, pp. 34, 35, thus expatiates to slaves on the advantages of their condition. One would really think, from reading this account, that every one ought to make haste and get himself sold into slavery, as the nearest road to heaven."
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks, Michele!

I'll get the corrections done as soon as I can, then tackle the other sections.

Life is a bit topsy-turvy right now.
~ Larry
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Keys 47

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_47_stowe_128kb.mp3 36:22

I'm a bit later on this that I had thought, but here it is.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: October 7th, 2018, 8:26 pm Uploaded Keys 47

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_47_stowe_128kb.mp3 36:22

I'm a bit later on this that I had thought, but here it is.
This is not a "tiptoe through the tulips project", Bill. Thank you for participating. My sections are taking extra time to deliver, too.

I was talking with my "darkie" yard boys today at payroll time, explaining some of my past history, when youth were suddenly expected to be "grownups at 18" (during the Vietnam war), and his comment was, "I don't know nothing about the past, and I don't care. I'm living my life in the here and now, my parents haven't cut me off at 18, and I am very excited about my future." That was a most hopeful comment, I thought, learning that his teachers and parents have been conveying a realistic perspective to him. The "slavery" bag of rocks is just too crushing to carry forward. If we don't ever pick up those stupid rocks again, then maybe we don't have to keep carrying them.
Last edited by msfry on October 8th, 2018, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Sounds like wisdom, to me. Wise Counsel.
Life is a rocky road.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
jnaudiollc

Post by jnaudiollc »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 41 is finally uploaded. I will need a PL'er. Another contributor, perhaps? EDIT: Thanks, Angelique!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_41_stowe_128kb.mp3 53:55

Note to PL'er of 41

I left some of the dates off, which just dangled out there between dated sections, not apparently connected to anything, and certain little notes such as "n 12tf" which I did not know how to say nor did they appear to mean anything. I also accentuated some of Stowe's sarcastic comments with "Stowe says", or "Stowe comments" so they wouldn't be buried in between the ads.
Last edited by msfry on October 17th, 2018, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 45
Fascinating chapter, Jim! Beautifully read. Thank you.
I have just one general note: While Stowe is often quoting others, she is just as often interspersing her own strong opinions, which are visible in the text due to a slight change in font size, but it is hard to detect in the audio when one ends and the other begins, without some kind of a prompt. For instance, at
3:33 after "heinous sin and scandal.” you might say "end quote" before Stowe goes on with "We do not mean to say...." There are several of these in rapid succession.

This phenomenon runs rampant throughout the book, and so often between ads in Section 41 that I began saying "Stowe comments . . ."
It's up to you what to do, but I did get somewhat lost several times in who was saying what.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I shall PL your newest section, Michele.
*Smile*
~Angelique