[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811 - 1896).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-key-to-uncle-toms-cabin-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/
After the publication of Uncle Tom’s Cabin, which many claim sparked off the Civil War that put an end to legalized slavery in America, there was a great outcry that Stowe had blown her fictional story out of all proportion to the facts. She was viewed by some as an irresponsible monster. Stowe defended herself by painstakingly publishing this Key, describing the actual people, incidents, statutes, court cases, news articles, advertisements, and published facts from whence she drew her material. She didn’t make anything up! Additionally, throughout this key, Stowe vents her own very strong opinions on the shameful practice of slavery, and examines, especially in Part IV, the failure of organized Christendom in both America and Europe to put a stop to the barbarity. "We must repudiate, with determined severity, the blasphemous doctrine of property in human beings." She and her famous brother, Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, were very active in the Underground Railroad, raising money and endangering themselves to save countless lives. ( Michele Fry)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54812
    NOTE: The Index to the chapters showing the page numbers can be found at the end of the book.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening!
    Level of prooflistening: special, which means standard plus I will follow along with the text and note any significant deviations in meaning from the original.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: slavery, civil war, Uncle Tom's cabin, ophelia, simon legree

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

NOTE #1: Some of these chapters approach an hour in length, so if you read at a slower pace, you might want to skip them.
    NOTE #2: There are many book citations throughout these chapters. Here are some tips how to read them:
    - § 1, read "Section 1"
    - i, iv. are the same as Roman Numerals I and IV, expressed in lower case. Volume i is read "Volume One").
    NOTE #3: Footnotes. Generally, anything which provides significant additional or clarifying information should be included, but inclusion will be left to the discretion of the reader.

7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (INTRO)
    • "Part #, Chapter # [looks like 1.5 or 2.7 in MW, do not include Section #] of A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by/read by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Chapter #, Chapter Title, Part # (if applicable)]"

END of recording (OUTRO)
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Part #, Chapter #, CHAPTER TITLE]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. "
    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    keytouncletomscabin_##_stowe_128kb (all lower-case), where ## is the section number, and save as an mp3 (e.g. keytouncletomscabin_01_stowe_128kb.mp3)
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: Harriet Beecher Stowe
    Title:[As it appears in the MW, e.g. 04. 1.4 George Harris]
    Album: A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below or contact:
BC - Michele Fry (msfry)
MC - DaveC (craigdav1)
DPL - Michele Fry (msfry), plus a volunteer to PL the sections I read.
Cover - preclaimed by BC
Last edited by msfry on December 26th, 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 24 times in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I'll set up the MW for you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

That was quick and I am ready. Thank you very much, Dave. It's been awhile since we've worked together. This is a big book and will probably take a long time to finish.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Let me know if any changes are needed. We can move this to Readers Wanted when you've had time to fill out the MW.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ha, I'm watching you fill in the MW!

This is indeed an ambitious, but worthy project.

So, unless these are sections that you want, may I put in for the following: 48-52?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: May 27th, 2018, 1:47 pm Ha, I'm watching you fill in the MW!

This is indeed an ambitious, but worthy project.

So, unless these are sections that you want, may I put in for the following: 48-52?
I may be reserving 48 and 49 but you're in for 50-52! Thanks for joining in. Everything I've looked over so far is quite impressive!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

This looks really cool! I definitely want to participate. I downloaded the book and want to take a look at it before I pick any sections!

I never heard of this before, it's fascinating that she brought out a whole other book to back up her novel.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
msfry

Post by msfry »

ColleenMc wrote: May 27th, 2018, 6:50 pm This looks really cool! I definitely want to participate. I downloaded the book and want to take a look at it before I pick any sections!

I never heard of this before, it's fascinating that she brought out a whole other book to back up her novel.
I learned about it recording her autobiography --another very interesting book.
https://librivox.org/life-of-harriet-beecher-stowe-compiled-from-her-letters-and-journals-by-charles-edward-stowe/

That's how LV works. One project leads to another in never-ending ripples. The tapestry weaves thick and rich.

I'd love to have you on the project, Colleen. :D
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Michele:

May I claim Section 3--Mr. and Mrs. Shelby. (I've been assigning that section as homework to my students for years now.....

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Indeed, Philip. 3 is yours.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Readers Wanted forum.
msfry

Post by msfry »

craigdav1 wrote: May 30th, 2018, 8:13 am Moving to Readers Wanted forum.
Thanks, Dave. I agree we are ready.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Could someone tell me how to read this: Potter’s Revisal, i. 162.

What does the i. stand for?
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

It is a volume number to a volume of North Carolina law, current in the 19th century. I would just read it as "i" followed by the page number. However, for the sake of clarity, you might want to read it as "volume 1, page###"

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
msfry

Post by msfry »

DrPGould wrote: May 31st, 2018, 8:04 am It is a volume number to a volume of North Carolina law, current in the 19th century. I would just read it as "i" followed by the page number. However, for the sake of clarity, you might want to read it as "volume 1, page###"

Philip
So i is like Roman Numeral I, except in lower case. I will read it "Volume 1, Page #", and as such citations occur throughout this book, maybe I'll add the explanation to the First Post. Thanks.