[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: October 17th, 2018, 3:24 pm I shall PL your newest section, Michele.
*Smile*
You're back! Thanks.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 46
Interesting chapter, Bill! And well read. Thank you. Just a few little things.
24:18 was drawing nigh, I hear drying nigh. Stands out to me as a wrong word.
Volume at 91.2 is within range but sounds a tad high. If you are making that other change, I'd de-amplify the file -1, then from 27:00 to the end (where volume increases significantly) by another -1, making the whole file around 90dB

Somewhere I thought I heard "Begin recording", but failed to note the time. I've listened to the whole file again and can't find it.

PL Notes Section 47
Volume at 93 falls outside LV's target range of 86-92dB. I recommend lowering the amplification -3, to make it match section 46. PL'ers run submitted mp3 files through the Checker Ap to make sure they comply with all of LV's tech specs. Readers should do this too before submitting files. If you haven't downloaded the Checker program, here is where to find it, and instructions on how to use it.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

:25 missing part of the Intro "Chapter 2, American Church and Slavery, Part 2"
27:30 bitter prejudice, I hear prejudance
34:13 in the manner prescribed by our rules, I hear described

All else sounds good to go. I look forward to 48.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Yes, indeed. It is a sterling example of irony that tyrants should so proudly hail the "Death to Tyrants" state motto and seal!
This has long been of horrified laughter to me.
I am not surprised that Stowe should have similar observation and reaction.

"Hmmmm ... who was his father?!" Yes, I have had to pause so I could laugh and make note of this. Greatly done. Stowe would be so proud of you, Michele. I truly believe so.
---------------------
Correction Suggestion #1:

17:07-17:12: In the middle you have a breath mark as if about to speak, then a couple of seconds of silence.

--------------------
Correction #2:

Repeat: 40:57

"October 27, 1852. 702—5w.
The New Orleans _True Delta_, of the 11th ult., 1853, has the following
editorial notice: "

41:12 "The New Orleans _True Delta_, of the 11th ult., 1853, has the following
editorial notice:"

-----------------------------------
Back to my commentary:

OH! OH! OHhhhh! Not only slave sales, but ... humans as raffle prizes!
I shouldn't be surprised at this and indeed I am not; it's more of a slowly dawning added level of horror!

Your insertions "Back to Stowe's comments" and ect. are well included for organization/comprehension sake.

Clearly, Mrs. Stowe is again tellin' truths that we need to hear to this very day.

I'll look forward to hearing your other sections, to just that end. *SMILE*
~Angelique
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: October 17th, 2018, 4:10 pm PL Notes Section 46
Interesting chapter, Bill! And well read. Thank you. Just a few little things.
24:18 was drawing nigh, I hear drying nigh. Stands out to me as a wrong word.
Volume at 91.2 is within range but sounds a tad high. If you are making that other change, I'd de-amplify the file -1, then from 27:00 to the end (where volume increases significantly) by another -1, making the whole file around 90dB

Somewhere I thought I heard "Begin recording", but failed to note the time. I've listened to the whole file again and can't find it.

PL Notes Section 47
Volume at 93 falls outside LV's target range of 86-92dB. I recommend lowering the amplification -3, to make it match section 46. PL'ers run submitted mp3 files through the Checker Ap to make sure they comply with all of LV's tech specs. Readers should do this too before submitting files. If you haven't downloaded the Checker program, here is where to find it, and instructions on how to use it.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

:25 missing part of the Intro "Chapter 2, American Church and Slavery, Part 2"
27:30 bitter prejudice, I hear prejudance
34:13 in the manner prescribed by our rules, I hear described

All else sounds good to go. I look forward to 48.
Thank you, Michele!
I'll take care of them pronto - but probably after I return from visiting my daughter and grandchildren in Maryland.
Thanks again!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Section 41 is PL okay!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

And here is 40, with corrected I/O due to your help. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_40_stowe_128kb.mp3 18:02
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: October 19th, 2018, 9:36 am And here is 40, with corrected I/O due to your help. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_40_stowe_128kb.mp3 18:02
PL Note
:23 needs chapter title:
Chapter 8, Kidnapping
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_40_stowe_128kb.mp3 18:03

*Sigh* And that, after you wrote it out all verbatimly, too.
The note of which I actually read, too.

Hopefully, this is the full correction.
~Angelique
jnaudiollc

Post by jnaudiollc »

msfry wrote: October 17th, 2018, 10:59 am PL Notes Section 45
Fascinating chapter, Jim! Beautifully read. Thank you.
I have just one general note: While Stowe is often quoting others, she is just as often interspersing her own strong opinions, which are visible in the text due to a slight change in font size, but it is hard to detect in the audio when one ends and the other begins, without some kind of a prompt. For instance, at
3:33 after "heinous sin and scandal.” you might say "end quote" before Stowe goes on with "We do not mean to say...." There are several of these in rapid succession.

This phenomenon runs rampant throughout the book, and so often between ads in Section 41 that I began saying "Stowe comments . . ."
It's up to you what to do, but I did get somewhat lost several times in who was saying what.

Hi Michele,

Here's the replacement file. Please let me know if this style of handling the quotes will fly. Thanks much!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_45_stowe_128kb.mp3 37:26

Jim
msfry

Post by msfry »

I marked Section 45 PL OK. Whatever you decided I am sure will be fine.

Section 44 is opening up as the original claimant has never showed up nor answered my PM, and as you offered to take it in that event, I've assigned it to you. Thanks.
Last edited by msfry on October 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 40 is PL OK. Thanks, Angelique :clap:
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Shweewww! What relief! (For both of us. *Smile*)
~Angelique
jnaudiollc

Post by jnaudiollc »

msfry wrote: October 20th, 2018, 5:34 pm I marked Section 45 PL OK. Whatever you decided I am sure will be fine.

Section 44 is opening up as the original claimant has never showed up nor answered my PM, and as you offered to take it in that event, I've assigned it to you. Thanks.
:thumbs:

Thanks!

Jim
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison