[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Michele,
Do you want to delete the above post. The first post contains the two reader notes.
Dave
msfry

Post by msfry »

craigdav1 wrote: May 31st, 2018, 9:09 am Michele,
Do you want to delete the above post. The first post contains the two reader notes.
Dave
I like to read historical project notes to see how catalogued projects developed, so this one seems fine to me, and credits Dr. Gould for helping me out. I did find your repetition of the whole First Post confusing, and couldn't figure out where I was for awhile. Could we delete that, please.

I didn't see any way that I could delete anything except my own posts. May I presume only the MC can do that?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Post deleted.
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim 24, 25, and 26 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
msfry

Post by msfry »

2839reader wrote: May 31st, 2018, 5:16 pm Claim 24, 25, and 26 please.
Indeed, they are yours.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I broke 39 into two sections, pushing everything below it down one. This only affects you, Silverquill, and I've unlocked all 5 sections for you - 49-53.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I would like to PL PART I, CHAPTER I – Preface and Introduction, read by: msfry
I have done so and found no errors of significance to be corrected.

(Also, I enjoyed your reading, msfry, as well as the simple exercise of listening, while proofing against text.
Well done and thank you for the opportunity.)

My apologies if I am not listing this PL notation in the correct area, and appreciation for guidance in doing so.
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you for accepting my PL invitation, and for your kind words! And again, welcome to Librivox. You did post in the correct place.

FYI: Librivox has two kinds of PL'ers.

1) Most projects have a DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) for ALL sections of a project. That person is given access to the MW (Magic Window), where they can use the drop down box to mark things PL OK or See PL Notes. We are always in need of DPL's. It is a significant and sometimes long term commitment and puts you in close contact with the reader(s). Some soloists and BC's select their DPL, but if a project on the forum has a tilde ~ in front of the title, they are looking for a DPL.

2) Then there are group projects like this one, where the BC (Book Coordinator) is the DPL, except on the sections they record themselves, where a part time PL'er must be found.

Below is the format I use when reporting errors (there is no set style), so long as the reader can easily find the errors to correct them.

PL Notes Section #
Notate the beginning time of the error/state the error. Then I like to make a comment about something.

INTRO shorten silence to no more that 1 second
3:45 repeat... "she said abruptly"
5:25 a 3 second pause (seems way too long)
6:15 "embezzlement", can't make out the word (sounds fuzzy)
6:45 loud thump, siren going by, or coughing (something that stands out as distracting, needn't include little things that aren't distracting when listening more casually)
7:23 The old man fell down the hill, you say "the old man went down to the mill"
Outro: Needs 5 seconds of silence (you have 3)

Using Checker, your volume is at 85. This file could use a +4 boost in Amplification to bring it up to 89.

Additionally, if the reader has specifically asked to be corrected in pronunciation, or critiqued on delivery, you will find CC (Constructive Criticism Sought) or other indication in their signature. Some of us like to be critiqued. Others don't.

After the reader corrects the errors or states why he/she has chosen not to correct it, they upload it again, then you do a Spot PL just on the errors you listed. When all passes muster, you come back with PL OK, and I like to share a thought or add a comment so I don't sound like a robot.

If you are up for it, please PL another or more of my sections. I'll be happy to have you. Just let me know your plans.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thank you for the quick DPL/PL explanation and simplified listening template! It's sure to come in handy.
I'll be well pleased to PL more of your work; I'll search for others and as I grab a little time complete them, take and post notes.
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I will happily PL Ch 18 2.4 – Protective Statutes.
~A.
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

18 2.4 – Protective Statutes
Proof Listening Complete with No suggested corrections.

Again my compliments on this work; the pacing here is appreciable as it clearly provides a pleasant flow without loss of enunciation.
It will be useful to me as I gain a sense of my own most effective spoken words per minute.

Best,
Angelique
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Angelique. I've marked the files PL OK in the MW. Hint: Section 10 is also ready, and I'm posting Section 19 this morning.

You are right, it helps to know your approximate WPM speed. Mine being 165, I can estimate that a 5000 word section will wind up about 30 minutes long. Except, I generally talk too fast, so I often apply the Tempo -2 Effect, which adds about two minutes! BC's rarely post a section of 10,000 words because it will exceed an hour even for a fast reader, and our maximum allowable file length I'm told is 1:06. I generally divide any chapter over 9,000 words into two sections.

Keep up the good work! :thumbs:
Last edited by msfry on June 12th, 2018, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »