[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 38 - Emily Russell
All is PL OK, except for incorrect Intro and Outro citations. We do not cite the Section number.

Intro should read "Part 3, Chapter 7 of A Key to Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe, . . . . etc. . . . Chapter 7, Emily Russell."
Outro should read "end of Part 3, Chapter 7, Emily Russell."

As to spacing and clarity, all very much improved. The dramatic delivery was perfectly appropriate for this tragic story (in my opinion), and I didn't notice any cut-ins too jarring. It was a really nice performance. Harriet would be proud.

As to your recording/editing process, I can't remember what I've shared with you so I don't want to bore you with repetition, but here's a nutshell view. One day I'll compile this with my other tips into a whole process so I can copy and paste it to other people who ask for my help.

Day 1. Lay down track, without stopping or clicking, repeating phrases if I screw something up, until I think it's right, then go on, hopefully all in one sitting. Save. Noise reduction, compression, equalization to the whole file. Save.
Day 2. Headphones on, I go back and remove extraneous material (using keystrokes for that). Almost always, there is enough good material there to make up a whole file, which cuts down a lot on the need to re-record. But it happens, in which case the voice often doesn't match, and there is a process for making it match.
Day 3. I wait a day or two ('til I can hear myself afresh), then with headphones on, proof-listen along with the text. I also add or shorten spacing, adjust tempo, tweak in other ways. I think I sent you a link to some Youtube videos of mine, and there are a bunch more in our Wiki Video Tutorials.
Day 4. Listen away from my computer, using earbuds, usually on my phone, to see how it sounds to a more casual listener. When I'm satisfied, I turn it in and hope and pray a Proof Listener comes along who will help me make it even better. Like you, for example. :D

So again, congrats. You're on your way to the stars. Image
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Have just now uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_35_stowe_128kb.mp3 30.72 KB 32:45

CHAPTER V.
SELECT INCIDENTS OF LAWFUL TRADE, OR FACTS STRANGER THAN FICTION.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Here we have the updated recording with correct I & O. :oops:

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_38_stowe_128kb.mp3

Thank you as always for genuinely helpful critique. You're a gem.

I hope that Ms. Harriet would be pleased that I brought the people she brought along with her throughout time to this place.
A little outrage at the sheer sick transparency of buying and selling, selling and buying of souls is Called for, I do believe.
And so we shall Tell, Tell, Tell, of thosee sold and gone, sold and gone.
And especial thanks; it is a grand compliment to be told the lady would be satisfied with the reading; I am pleased to take it to heart.

Welll, yes. I do have your processes around and do, actually, read over them; I have notes from your videos and a few others. Your dedication to LV is obvious and wonderful.
But reminders *are* appreciated. *Smile* I'm sure others feel, have felt, and will feel, the same.

If I get to the stars, it will be because others lifted me when I couldn't quite reach them of my own accord.
The Lighted Way is not attained solitarily. I recall those who assist in easing me along that Great Way.

Regards,
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Aich! Length is 17:19 for #38 "Emily Russell."
~Angelique
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_35_stowe_128kb.mp3 30.87 KB 32:55

Added cues as to the starts and ends of personal letters by Lewis Hayden and Austin Bearse which Stowe quotes in the text.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

38 is PL OK. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

35 is PL OK. Nice accents there! Interesting chapter, expressively read. Thank you. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Due my splitting Chapter 34 into two parts, Section 35 has been bumped up to 36, and Section 38 has been bumped up to 39.
This affects only these 2 recorded chapters so far.

Bill, would you kindly re-name your file 35 to 36

Angelique, would you kindly re-name your file 38 to 39

Re-upload, and let me know here when this is done.

Silverquill, please check the MW for new section numbers on your claimed sections.

I apologize for the inconvenience. I found that the hour length recording of such sordid material was whole a lot to process in one sitting.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I would be pleased to be assigned sections 30 and 31.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for renaming 35 to 36, and for claiming 30 and 31. MW updated.
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Michele,
I will happily PL your newly completed sections.

Regards,
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: July 21st, 2018, 12:48 pm Michele,
I will happily PL your newly completed sections. Regards,
Oh goodie!
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Section 34 is PL ready!
(I was cheering you on, especially during the French phrases! :clap: )

Section 35 PL has only two notes.

6:09
Text: "Not on"
Read: "Not only"

6:27
Text: "I have known patrols"
Read: "I have known patrons"

Again, your readings are impressive in the infrequency of even minor error ... and the vocal intonation is a pleasure to hear; you've a very pleasant flow in pace, space and variation.

As always, I hope you are well!
~Angelique