[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Ignore previous message:
I noticed NOW that there are two sections which begin with "Select Incidents....."
:oops:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: July 8th, 2018, 1:56 pm Here we are, Ms. Michele.
When you have several moments, I would appreciate if you would listen to this edit; I believe the spacing to be better, but am pleased to have your guidance.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_05_stowe_128kb.mp3 7:56

As always,
Many Thanks,
I have listened to this file and think the spacing is much better (except I don't think you treated the intro for improved spacing). Nevertheless I think it sounds quite alright as is, and I am giving it the PL OK. :thumbs:

It wasn't so long ago that fathers gave away/sold their daughters to whomever they pleased, to "make a good marriage for the family", bring in money, cut household costs, etc. Women of all races and cultures have been enslaved for a very long time. Anything I can do to help that be OVER, I'm on it. :evil:
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Wonderful. I'm well pleased to have this be acceptable; thank you for your help. I will

Indeed. Let us give voice to the past so that those of the future may know the means by which the powerful have and shall attempt to subvert us and subject us to degrading societal systems.
By this small way of our recordings, we slow the course of disintegration back to the very Genesis.
We just ... can't have that.

I will continue to follow thread, in case I may further assist with this project.
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

Amen, and thanks for being a part of this adventure.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello, Michele:

May I claim Sections 11 and 22?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hello Philip, You're in for 11 and 22.
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

hello michele
i made the changes to section 6. sorry about the variable rate i moved to a different computer for awhile and never got that changed. my voice just simply didn't stand up to reading for very long im sorry i dont sound the best i probably wont be trying any more hour long recordings. i am also sending section 4 which is a little longer than section 6 so i don't sound so good in it either. i enjoy reading your extra comments about the literature. i have never really thought much about how controversial stowe must have appeared during her lifetime.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_04_stowe_128kb.mp3 50:51

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_06_stowe_128kb.mp3 53:37

thank u
pistol pete, CC
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 6

I am not sure what changes you made, but the time you cited of 53:37 does not match the actual file time of 44:12. How may we account for this? FYI, it's helpful on Spot PL to know which changes you made (or ignored) from the PL Notes, and additional changes you might have made upon revisiting your file. Not necessarily citing each one, but something portraying what you did. Such as:

All changes made.
Changed all but x, y, z.
Decreased tempo -3 from 0-3:15.
Shortened/lengthened some silences.
And so forth.

This allows your PL'er to spot check those areas only, not have to listen to the whole file again.

Thank you for helping me get this file OK'd.

You are right about long files being tedious. After 5 years, I still find a 50 minute file (over 7000 words) very cumbersome to complete, and those PL OK's take much longer to rack up! That is why we suggest that newbies look for files under 1500 to 2000 words (and why I usually leave them for newbies to read), til their editing skills are second nature. Which they will become soon enough.
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

hello michelle

i am completely embarrassed about confusing you. somehow i have the wrong numbers on both files. this thew me through a loop because i feared i might have the wrong files altogether i have some rough draft recording saved in some different places where i could have potentially grabbed them absent mindedly. however i think i have the right audio files just wrong times
so section 4 file is the first version you've seen i got kind of hoarse on it.

on section 6 i followed all your advice i of course got the variable bit rate changed
i softened down the volume a little
i increased the tempo +2 0:00 to 7:45
and finally reread the ( oh no mrs stowe)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_04_stowe_128kb.mp3 53:36

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_06_stowe_128kb.mp3 44.12

i should tell you i think the section 9 file is probably variable bit rate if you want me to send another file before you listen let me know
otherwise i could do all the edits at once.

thanks so much
pistol pete, CC
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 13, Quakers, is PL OK. Nice job reading, and a very interesting chapter. :thumbs:
"Rule by law" can be heinous when the laws are terrible.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Oh! My! Michele, I've just realized that my note of weeks ago did not stick: Spot PL on Section 10 is PL OK.
My apology.
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

May I read section 38?

This, on Dear Emily Russell, whose love of freedom was heartrendingly critical.
And so we shall remember her name, remember her story, thereby in hopes of sending her to a greater lasting eternity.

To Give Voice: Our Honor.
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:59 pm May I read section 38?

This, on Dear Emily Russell, whose love of freedom was heartrendingly critical.
And so we shall remember her name, remember her story, thereby in hopes of sending her to a greater lasting eternity.

To Give Voice: Our Honor.
Certainly, 38 is yours. I look forward to learning about Emily Russell, whom I've never heard of.
msfry

Post by msfry »

pmstrahm wrote: July 13th, 2018, 5:57 pm hello michelle

i am completely embarrassed about confusing you. somehow i have the wrong numbers on both files. this thew me through a loop because i feared i might have the wrong files altogether i have some rough draft recording saved in some different places where i could have potentially grabbed them absent mindedly. however i think i have the right audio files just wrong times
so section 4 file is the first version you've seen i got kind of hoarse on it.

on section 6 i followed all your advice i of course got the variable bit rate changed
i softened down the volume a little
i increased the tempo +2 0:00 to 7:45
and finally reread the ( oh no mrs stowe)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_04_stowe_128kb.mp3 53:36

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_06_stowe_128kb.mp3 44.12

i should tell you i think the section 9 file is probably variable bit rate if you want me to send another file before you listen let me know
otherwise i could do all the edits at once.

thanks so much
I am a bit confused myself, but hopefully I will have some free time soon to sort this out. I'll be happy to share my file-naming conventions with you too, as it gets mighty confusing when several files are floating around on the same section.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Alright, Madame. Let us hear what happened here!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_38_stowe_128kb.mp3 17:19

Please PL for spacing and clarity of words. (I can no longer actually hear myself well enough to have solid idea of how it may sound to others.)
Ohh, and I know there are some rough cut ins here, but am not sure how to further correct it; please let me know if parts are too jarring. I will try again

Much was learned here, including that if I repeat passages/ phrases/words multiple times to make a note, or stop recording and erase, or *something* so that I do not have to spend five hours untangling it. *Laugh* Extending read time by even an hour for onspot corrections ... would be better methinks! *Laugh* (But ohhh ... I could be wrong about that, so if these intended methods may lead me down a more difficult path, I would *SURELY* appreciate a whisper of warning to ... Not Do That.
*Laugh.* Yes, ma'm ... Please and Kindly lead me down from the monkey bars of the LV playground! :lol: ) )

Oh. And if this recording is a little too dramatic, please let me know this as well.
I read it as it flows ... and I am quite distraught and well, yes, inflamed by these echoing happenings. Listen to the misery of these, our people. And their prayers.

Let it All be to the Light.
~Angelique