COMPLETE: Junior Classics Vol. 2: Folk Tales & Myths by William Patten - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Peter:

Thanks for Section 29. I'll get it PL'd by sometime tomorrow. Section 25 is yours.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
jpfrcn

Post by jpfrcn »

Hi, Philip. My 1-Minute Test has been OK'd. Can I start recording now?

Thanks.
Ali M.
jpfrcn

Post by jpfrcn »

I'd also like to claim Section 61.

Thank you.
Ali M.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Ali:

Welcome aboard! Sections 54 and 61 have been assigned to you! Enjoy!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I hope you enjoy the project.

Many thanks,

Philip
jpfrcn

Post by jpfrcn »

Ali M.
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

pistol pete, CC
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Peter and Ali:

Thank you for Sections 30 and 54. I'll get these PL'd today!

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Peter:

A quick run through noise reduction and sections 20 and 30 will be PL-OK. Nicely done.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Ali:

Section 54 is PL-OK! Nicely done! Congratulations on completing your first (hopefully of many) Librivox recordings!

Many thanks,

Philip
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

pistol pete, CC
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Peter:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Your levels (amplification) was just fine on the files the first time through. They both had a slight background hum which is usually cleared by running the "noise reduction" from the effects menu in Audacity.

That said, I listened to the files and the noise I identified has cleared up. The reduction in amplification worked. They are both PL-OK! Well Done! :clap:

Many thanks,

Philip
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

philip

do u run two noise reductions as in selecting a noise profile of just background noise and reducing that and also reducing entire file to get the right amplification. or do u just select the entire file as a noise profile and run one noise reduction for background noise and amplification

thanks a bunch
pistol pete, CC
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Peter:

Now I'm a bit confused...so this answer is going to be a tad longer than it probably should...but again, I'm no expert, this is just what I do:

For noise reduction, I use that utility in the effect menu of Audacity. After I have selected my noise profile in Section 1...then I run a pass across the entire file (I have a consistently noisy background). The noise reduction value I use is 12 db. (Most people recommend 8...but if I run only 8 then I have to run 2 passes. At 12, I just have to do one (most of the time).

I do all the other editing I need to do to the vocal track, then export is as MP3. Then I run the MP3 through the checker to test my levels. I aim for a target of 89 dB +/-.2 (88.8-89.2). That again is my personal choice. We accept anything between 86.5 and 92 here at Librivox. The checker will tell me the file level and if any adjustments are necessary (with my files, they usually are). I then open my original aud file in Audacity and go to the effects menu and use the Amplification effect. (If the file tested at 93.4 in the amplification box, I insert -4.4/if it tested at 87.6, I insert 1.4). I then re-export the file as an MP3 (using the same file name) and re check the file in the checker before I upload. (Some folks would say this is a little more work, but it only takes about 2 minutes on an average file.)

For the last two files, the problem was not the dB level, you were well within specs there. The problem was the extraneous background noise.

I hope this was helpful.

Many thanks,

Philip
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

So do u select the whole file for your noise profile or just a small section of background noise

Thanks peter
pistol pete, CC
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Just a section of the noise (if you select the entire voice track, you'll wipe out the entire track).

Once you've made your selection, click on the voice track and hit ctrl-A to select the whole thing, then back to noise reduction and hit the file button at the bottom to start it.

If you make a mistake, ctrl Z will undo the mistake you just did.

Many thanks,

Philip