COMPLETE [Biography] Lincoln, the Lawyer-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Lincoln, The Lawyer by Frederick Trevor Hill (1866 - 1930).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/lincoln-the-lawyer-by-frederick-trevor-hill/
This biography of Abraham Lincoln focuses on his practice as a lawyer. (Summary by MaryAnn )

DO NOT READ FOOTNOTES
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lincolnlawyer00hillf
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Lincoln, The Lawyer. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Lincoln, The Lawyer, by Frederick Trevor Hill. Chapter [number, title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter[number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Lincoln, The Lawyer, by Frederick Trevor Hill. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Do not read footnotes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lincoln_##_hill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lincoln_01_hill_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

This seems to be written in a simple and accessible style. I'd love to have sections 0,1,24,25
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Larry,
Thanks for starting us off.
MaryAnn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I assume the preface is really the Forward?
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Oh my, sorry about that. :roll: I was going from memory on that one when I filled out the MW. :oops:
I've corrected the MW.

MaryAnn
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I have 2-6? Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sorry. It's obnoxious Jim chomping at the bit: here is Chapter 2. :roll:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jim,
Of course you may have 2-6. Welcome to the project!

And can you repost the link to 2?

Thanks.
M.A.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Senility. I thought I had posted. I am sometimes not paying attention to those I have put in the MW myself (the solos mostly) versus the ones that you have to put in . Sorry. Jim
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Jim!
M.A.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Just checking on my chapter 2. It looks as if it might be in the wrong spot. I don't see anything from Larry yet. Just wondering. Thanks
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out Jim.
MaryAnn
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

May I claim chapters 7, 8, and 9?
There are some reproductions of longhand letters as illustrations on some pages - I was assuming I would skip them, but will certainly read them (or try to decipher them, at any rate) if preferred.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Ciufi! Let's skip the handwritten letters and their captions. I think of them as illustrations/pictures rather than the text.

MaryAnn