COMPLETE: WORLD WAR I--AEF--Our Army at the Front by Heywood Broun -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello Valerie!

Welcome to this project and Welcome to Librivox! Before I can assign you any sections officially you must complete a 1 minute test. The directions and specifications on how to do it are here:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

This is not an audition. It is merely to see whether your recording set up on your computer is adjusted to meet Librivox's technical specifications. Once you have completed and uploaded your 1 minute test to the Listeners and Editors Wanted Forum as specified in the directions, and post a link to it here in this project as well. (It may get your 1 minute test approved more quickly.) Once your test is approved by an MC, then I can assign you to specific sections.

There are additional tips for new readers here at this link:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

This is a useful bit of software for checking your recording before you upload them and I use it often myself:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

I will also need to know the name or pseudonym by which you wish to appear in the catalog. Many people use their real names or the pseudonym that is their user name.

I hope that I can give you a bit of friendly advice without meaning in any way to discourage you or dampen your enthusiasm. You have requested that I assign you most of the open sections remaining in this project, if I correctly understood your post. My advice would be that you pick out 2 or 3 to start with, to get a feel for what recording is, and the length of time involved in reading and editing your sections before you launch out with such a massive amount of material. I have held sections 2, 4, and 17 for you until May 25 to give you time to complete your 1 minute test. (You will find the hold noted in the Magic Window).

I really do appreciate your enthusiasm and look forward to this being the first of many pleasant experiences for you here are Librivox. Oh, and one more thing, if anything is confusing or unclear or you have a question, please do not hesitate to ask. We're all volunteers here and we all try to help each other out. If I don't know the answer to a question (and, believe me, I'm not the fount of all wisdom and knowledge to all things Librivox), I'll find someone who does know.

Once again, a big WELCOME!!!

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Philip

May please claim chapters 16 and 21.

Peter
They tell me that you'll lose your mind as you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much.

Malcom Cowley
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Peter:

Sections 16 & 21 are yours!

Many thanks,

Philip
mmarkgraf

Post by mmarkgraf »

May I take 5 & 6?

-Matt
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Matt:

5 & 6 are yours!

Many thanks,

Philip
bob51zhang

Post by bob51zhang »

Hey,

Can I claim section 14?

Thanks!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Bob:

I'll hold Section 14 for you until your 1 minute test has been approved. I see you have submitted it. Please wait to record until you get the results of your test (only because it potentially saves you the work of having to re-record the section.)

I'll see if we can't get your test approved shortly. (I cannot do that myself).

Welcome to Librivox and Welcome to the Project. I hope this is the first of many happy readings you have here.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Bob:

I just listened to your 1 minute test. The technicals are all ok. There are two issues, one of which would not keep the test from being approved (but is something you should keep in mind), the other is easy to fix.

You should probably adjust your microphone so it sits either just above or just below your mouth. Your plosive sounds (especially the "puh") sound are exploding into the microphone...they are not bad enough in the test to be a problem, but a small adjustment to the microphone should eliminate the issue.

At about 0:15 to 0:16 in the file there is a considerable amount of background noise. Try running the noise reduction utility in Audacity to reduce it. Here is a tutorial with some useful information on how to do it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noise_Cleaning.

If you will re-upload your test again after you have done this, I'll take another listen and refer it to someone who can finish setting you up. Also here is a link to a recording guide for new members https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording.

One more thing....please let me know under what name/pseudonym you wish to be listed in the catalog. Many people just use their user name, some their real names. And if you have a personal website or blog you wish us to link to, we can do that as well.

Once again, welcome!

Philip
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Many thanks, Peter for Section 16. It is in the MW and ready for PL.

Philip
2peltons

Post by 2peltons »

May I claim section 03?

Mike
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mike:

Welcome to the project. Section 3 is yours!

Many thanks,

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Peter -

Section 16 is PL OK!

Great reading!

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks so much, Lynda!

Philip
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »