COMPLETE The World's Famous Orations by Bryan and Halsey-ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

msfry wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 7:06 am I noticed that claim the next time I visited the forum. It wasn't there when I submitted my post, indicating there must be a delay in the forum updating process.
Hi michelle, i have signed you up for section 9, thank you for claiming :thumbs:

There is no delay in updating the forum. There are numerous things that can go wrong in the connection of course, but generally speaking all messages are visible to anyone instantly. Im just pointing this out to make sure you dont start changing your processes based on this assumption :)
Carolin
msfry

Post by msfry »

Carolin wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 9:47 am
msfry wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 7:06 am I noticed that claim the next time I visited the forum. It wasn't there when I submitted my post, indicating there must be a delay in the forum updating process.
Hi michelle, i have signed you up for section 9, thank you for claiming :thumbs:

There is no delay in updating the forum. There are numerous things that can go wrong in the connection of course, but generally speaking all messages are visible to anyone instantly. Im just pointing this out to make sure you dont start changing your processes based on this assumption :)
Okay, I'll blame it on Cox, my service provider. They get blamed for so much anyway. :D
And there is nothing I can do about it but submit my posts based on what I see and if there is overlap, it will work out soon enough. :thumbs:
And please note the French spelling of my name, Michele with one 'l'. It's the British spelling with two 'll's, popularized by the Beatle song "Michelle, Ma Belle", that has everyone misspelling my name. I bet you get Carolyn and Caroline a lot, too.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

oh sorry about misspelling your name michele. one of my friends spells her name with two ls so i spell it like that when on autopilot :)
Carolin
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Carolin:

Here are the links for Sections 1 & 2. Their durations, respectively are 4:00 and 3:18.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/orations4_01_bryan_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/orations4_02_bryan_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
DuintheLou

Post by DuintheLou »

Carolin,
Any chance I could do parts 10&11?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi and welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to participate in this project. to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. we can also link to your personal website or blog.

please also complete the one minute test before getting started! thank you! :)
Carolin
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 9 has been uploaded. I did my best to speak with the author's conviction, despite disagreeing with his point 100%, which goes something like: "Free speech about any and all aspects or viewpoints of God are permitted, but you are forbidden to speak freely about not believing in God."

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/orations4_09_bryan_128kb.mp3 22:47
msfry

Post by msfry »

Carolin wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm oh sorry about misspelling your name michele. one of my friends spells her name with two ls so i spell it like that when on autopilot :)
Thanks. It shouldn't matter, but a person's name is their identity and nowadays there are so many foreign names and unusual spellings to watch out for. What bothers me most is when I apply for something where you fill in the boxes, one box per letter, and I clearly print M I C H E L E . . . . . then when I get my invoice or first bill, it invariably says MICHELLE. And my brother Orlando misspells my name with two l's. So, bad me, I misspell his name Orllando. :twisted:
So far, he doesn't seem to notice. :lol:
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

msfry wrote: April 29th, 2018, 9:26 am
Carolin wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm oh sorry about misspelling your name michele. one of my friends spells her name with two ls so i spell it like that when on autopilot :)
Thanks. It shouldn't matter, but a person's name is their identity and nowadays there are so many foreign names and unusual spellings to watch out for. What bothers me most is when I apply for something where you fill in the boxes, one box per letter, and I clearly print M I C H E L E . . . . . then when I get my invoice or first bill, it invariably says MICHELLE. And my brother Orlando misspells my name with two l's. So, bad me, I misspell his name Orllando. :twisted:
So far, he doesn't seem to notice. :lol:
My name is frequently misspelled also. The number of times I get things addressed to Kristen instead of Kristin annoys me. It's especially annoying via email when you have to spell my name right to get my email address to work, so you'd think it wouldn't be so hard to do spell it correctly 1 inch further down the screen.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

DrPGould wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 12:59 pm Carolin:

Here are the links for Sections 1 & 2. Their durations, respectively are 4:00 and 3:18.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/orations4_01_bryan_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/orations4_02_bryan_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Sections 1 & 2 are PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

MrsHand wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:38 am My name is frequently misspelled also. The number of times I get things addressed to Kristen instead of Kristin annoys me. It's especially annoying via email when you have to spell my name right to get my email address to work, so you'd think it wouldn't be so hard to do spell it correctly 1 inch further down the screen.
Well, Kristin, I'm an old fart, graduated high school in 1964. And I well remember taking multiple choice tests where a long list of people or company names was followed by 3 names almost alike, and you had to pick out the one that is spelled exactly right. I took the same type of tests when applying for jobs at NASA, and General Electric, and my notary commission. At my first secretarial job, I remember having to re-type a whole letter when the boss discovered I had misspelled a word. Misspelled words were never allowed out the building, as they reflected poorly on the company's ability to perform! Proper names were considered sacred. It was excellent training for attention to detail . . . . . alas very poor training for tolerance. :(
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Michele and Kristin:

I share your situation with respect to your name misspelling. I have a solution of sorts for Michele, but it obviously won't work for Kristin (sorry). Several years ago, I was in a position in which I was routinely covered in the local newspaper. A local reporter (who, in fairness,) was justifiably obsessed with correct spelling, would ask after every article, "Did I get it right this time?" And invariably she did not.

Finally in mock exasperation, I told her, "If you don't get the "L" out of my name, I'll not answer any more of your questions." She never missed it again. :lol:

Just passing by.....

Philip

(If one "l" doesn't get it done for you, why stop with just two, why not three or four?)
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
msfry

Post by msfry »

I do a monthly newsletter for a large active club, sprinkled with articles, photos, captions and lists of volunteers who helped with each project. I can attest that even to this day, disappointment when one's name is misspelled, or left out, or a fact gotten wrong, is still alive and well! I don't even know most of the members, so I make sure every article is proofed by the author and the President before I publish.

At the same time, it is almost impossible to know the correct spelling of anyone's name anymore. With so many foreign names coming along these days and everyone's desire to distinguish their identity, it's no longer David, Susan, Emily, Bob. But you better not leave off the e of my sister in law, Carole, or confuse her with my other sister in law, Carolyn, or their daughters Harmonie and Melynda.

Philip, Kristin, we either hold the line, or let it go. I'm holding on for now but fear it's a losing battle. Spell checker can only do so much. :roll: