COMPLETE! The Soul Of A People by Harold Fielding-rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

The Soul Of A People by Harold Fielding (1859 - 1917).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-soul-of-a-people-by-harold-fielding/
In The Soul of a People, Englishman H. Fielding explores the beliefs of the Burmese people. He offers an understandable, and yet thorough, explanation of Buddhism, and illustrates the many ways the people of Burma (Myanmar) live their faith. He also provides a glimpse into the folk-practices surrounding Nats--the spirits of individuals who have suffered traumatic deaths, who now seek peace among ancient trees. Fielding, who lived in Burma for many years, gives us an intimate, first-hand account of a people he came to admire. Although first published in 1898, it remains a pertinent and thought-provoking read. (Summary by Carol Fullerton-Samsel)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29527
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Soul Of A People . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Soul Of A People , by Harold Fielding . [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Soul Of A People , by Harold Fielding . "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    soulofapeople_##_fielding_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. soulofapeople_01_fielding_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello, Miss Stav! Let me MC this project!
I'll go get the Magic Window.

I can see in the project's data, that the summary was written by the first reader, so yes, we can use it.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks for setting up the project. Well I guessed as much... Can you set up the window this time? This etext is not accessible for me to wordcount.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

I will continue as DPL if you wish.
Max :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Of course I wish. I missed working with you.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Lovely! I have added Max as the DPL and I have entered word-counts into the Magic Window!
We are ready for Readers!
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

miss stav wrote: March 13th, 2018, 9:31 am Of course I wish. I missed working with you.
What lovely words to read :D Thanks for cheering me up as I watch the snowstorm start. Might get over a foot by tomorrow (but it won't hang around long). Got this bookmarked.
Max :)
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Stav, I'll take chapters 10 & 11, The Monkhood.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Amazing. Thank you so much.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I also recorded Ch 12 - Prayer. Here it is with Chapter 11:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/soulofapeople_11_fielding_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/soulofapeople_12_fielding_128kb.mp3

Plan on editing the 50 minutes of Ch 10 later today and upload same.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Huge huge thanks.
MaxineMarie

Post by MaxineMarie »

Chapter 11 PL OK Marked so in MW

Chapter 12 PL Notes

@ 10:03 I hear 'and yet' only once where text reads 'And yet, and yet.'
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks again
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »