[Complete] Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island by May Folwell Hoisington and Lillian Elizabeth Roy - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island by May Folwell Hoisington (1874 - 1955) and Lillian Elizabeth Roy (1868-1932).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/woodcraft-boys-at-sunset-island-by-may-folwell-hoisington/
An adventure story for boys, it was included in the Every Boys' Library, a collection of works deemed the most popular among boys. Set on an island off the coast of Maine, Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island is an account of several school-age children and their parents as they explore nature and learn survival skills. They go on adventures, encounter thieves, find a pig on a raft, and through it all, learn the value of self-reliance. (JayKitty76)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51319
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (May Folwell Hoisington) : n/a
    7. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Lillian Elizabeth Roy) : n/a
    8. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    9. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
    10. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    11. Original publication date (if known):
    12. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: pirates, Indians, fishing, camping

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island, by May Folwell Hoisington and Lillian Elizabeth Roy. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island, by May Folwell Hoisington and Lillian Elizabeth Roy. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    sunsetisland_##_hoisington_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sunsetisland_01_hoisington_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Chuying

Post by Chuying »

Hi can I read chapter 7 further adventures at spruce island? Thanks!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chuying wrote: March 10th, 2018, 12:56 am Hi can I read chapter 7 further adventures at spruce island? Thanks!
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will see your own personal catalog page.
Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
Chuying

Post by Chuying »

Hi Thanks for the note and I wonder if non-English-native speakers can read in English too? My first language is actually Chinese but would love to read in English too! Thank you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chuying wrote: March 10th, 2018, 6:43 pm Hi Thanks for the note and I wonder if non-English-native speakers can read in English too? My first language is actually Chinese but would love to read in English too! Thank you.
The standard we have is that it must be understandable to native English speakers. (Or Swahili, or Russian or whatever language you choose to read in).
That said, it would be great to get some Chinese books in the catalog once you feel confident with the process. I'm not sure how many Chinese readers we have.
Chuying

Post by Chuying »

Thank you!
Chuying

Post by Chuying »

Hi Lynnet,

I see that I'm late for the submission but I'm actually just about to finish it, would it be still OK for me to turn it in some time within this week?

Thank you!
Chuying
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chuying wrote: May 15th, 2018, 8:14 pm Hi Lynnet,

I see that I'm late for the submission but I'm actually just about to finish it, would it be still OK for me to turn it in some time within this week?

Thank you!
Chuying
I will reinstate your claim. It is best if you let us know if it looks like you are going to be later than the 2 months.
Chuying

Post by Chuying »

Thanks!
martym

Post by martym »

Howdy!
May I start with section 1 please?

Thank you!

Marty
ATTORNEY: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
WITNESS: Oral...
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

martym wrote: May 16th, 2018, 2:44 pm Howdy!
May I start with section 1 please?

Thank you!

Marty
Absolutely!
martym

Post by martym »

Hi Lynnet,

It's been awhile since I have done this and I am away from home and my usual gear.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sunsetisland_01_hoisington_128kb.mp3

Track Length 26:15.24 (m:ss.ss) 
Volume 88.0 dB

Give it a go and let me know!

Thanks!!!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

martym wrote: May 20th, 2018, 12:09 pm Hi Lynnet,

It's been awhile since I have done this and I am away from home and my usual gear.

Volume 88.0 dB

Thanks!!!
Thank you. I'm sure it's like falling off a bike, or whatever the saying is :D :D :D I'll try and listen this afternoon.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynnet wrote: May 20th, 2018, 12:26 pm
martym wrote: May 20th, 2018, 12:09 pm Hi Lynnet,

Volume 88.0 dB

Thanks!!!
Thank you. I'm sure it's like falling off a bike, or whatever the saying is :D :D :D I'll try and listen this afternoon.
First of all, your bit rate is off. It is 93kbps variable and needs to be 128kbps constant. Do you remember how to fix that? It's in the wiki if you need a refresher.

~ 6:20 omitted "returned the captain."

Loved the character you put into the reading! I hope you'll do more in this book.
martym

Post by martym »

Yeah yeah.... It's like falling off a bike! Easypeezy.
I'll try to have it done tomorrow night.

Might try another.... I'll let you know. Thanks!