COMPLETE The Visits of Elizabeth by Elinor Glyn -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa »

Hi Carolin,
I promise I haven't forgotten. There's just A LOT to edit here since it's 30 mins. Everything is at the right level and now I'm just going through and doing a self DPL before the official DPL. Takes longer but I think there will be fewer to no mistakes by the time I post it up :)
Renegade librarian on a mission!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa »

BOOOM! Finally done editing!!! Phew!
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/visitsofelizabeth_14_glyn_128kb.mp3
28:47

Wow! That took a LOOOONG time to edit. But hopefully won't need to do any additional edits. DP'd it myself like 4 times and found ten minor mistakes and corrected them. That was a fun read by whew long! Currently working on a solo project of King Jame's Demonology. Honestly, that's a walk in the park compared to the phrasing in this!

Got a lot of fun bloopers. Where can I post those? :)

Thanks so much for your patience. This was recorded months ago but the editing took a lot of work.
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

Eidyiaa wrote: May 27th, 2018, 1:32 pm BOOOM! Finally done editing!!! Phew!
28:47

Wow! That took a LOOOONG time to edit. But hopefully won't need to do any additional edits. DP'd it myself like 4 times and found ten minor mistakes and corrected them. That was a fun read by whew long! Currently working on a solo project of King Jame's Demonology. Honestly, that's a walk in the park compared to the phrasing in this!

Got a lot of fun bloopers. Where can I post those? :)

Thanks so much for your patience. This was recorded months ago but the editing took a lot of work.
Great reading! You have a lovely voice. I enjoyed the exaggerated accent you chose for Lady Theodosia.
Here are some things that should be fixed:
At 15:10, 19:08, 20:10, 25:43, and 27:13 there are a very long pauses that should be cut down.
The recording is also at 86.5db, which is a little low. It should be amplified by 2-3db.

And some comments/ suggestions for future readings (these don't have to be fixed)!
At 3:49 and 5:10, as well as other parts of the recording, there are some longer pauses that stuck out out to me. It may be a good idea to keep pauses shorter than this in the future.
At 11:13- 11:23, and 12:17- 12:23 there are several "plosives" which can be caused my moving your mouth or mic around in a bad way. Check out https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Improve_Your_Recording for more info.
I try to avoid voice cracks in my recordings.
To PLers- please correct sloppy pronunciation or weird slurring :/
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa »

Walnut wrote: May 27th, 2018, 10:51 pm
Great reading! You have a lovely voice. I enjoyed the exaggerated accent you chose for Lady Theodosia.
At 15:10, 19:08, 20:10, 25:43, and 27:13 there are a very long pauses that should be cut down.
The recording is also at 86.5db, which is a little low. It should be amplified by 2-3db.

And some comments/ suggestions for future readings (these don't have to be fixed)!
At 3:49 and 5:10, as well as other parts of the recording, there are some longer pauses that stuck out out to me. It may be a good idea to keep pauses shorter than this in the future.
At 11:13- 11:23, and 12:17- 12:23 there are several "plosives" which can be caused my moving your mouth or mic around in a bad way. Check out https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Improve_Your_Recording for more info.
Hey Walnut, Thanks a million for the complements :) I worked reallly hard on this. God knows how many hours I spent on this between getting those damn five line sentences right and editing.

I want it to be well known that my "character voice" for Lady Theodosia may sound outlandish but it is modeled as precisely as possible on a real person I knew. She was basically Lady Theodosia for real. Her name was Audrey and I'm not sure if she was a countess or what but she lived in an enormous stone estate house in Edinborough Scotland. Yep, all the antique furniture was there and the family portraits and the family tea sets and silver.

She was ancient and rather...large and spoke just like that. Possibly even more bombastic than I can do justice. I was 15 the last time I saw her. She would great us with a huge "Hellllllloooo little girl. How chaarrming to see you." My brother was five and she say "Hellloooo wee man. Are you afraid of me?" sooooo loudly. My brother was scared. She was such a huge presence and he was so small. She had a tiny little dog and a silver dog treat dish. Delightfully eccentric person. Hope she rests in peace.

RE: Editing: I was going by the "How-To" Guidebook here: Trimming silences to a consistent value
You may want to make sure silences within paragraphs all have roughly the same duration (e.g. all between 0.5s and 1s), and all silences between paragraphs another duration (e.g. all between 1.5s and 3s).

I chose 3s because there is just SO much in there, I feel the listener needs time to digest it all. What length do you recommend for between paragraph silences? I'm happy to do 2.5s but I'd like to keep in on the longer side.

Allie
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

Eidyiaa wrote: May 28th, 2018, 11:21 am
Walnut wrote: May 27th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Hey Walnut, Thanks a million for the complements :) I worked reallly hard on this. God knows how many hours I spent on this between getting those damn five line sentences right and editing.

I want it to be well known that my "character voice" for Lady Theodosia may sound outlandish but it is modeled as precisely as possible on a real person I knew. She was basically Lady Theodosia for real. Her name was Audrey and I'm not sure if she was a countess or what but she lived in an enormous stone estate house in Edinborough Scotland. Yep, all the antique furniture was there and the family portraits and the family tea sets and silver.

She was ancient and rather...large and spoke just like that. Possibly even more bombastic than I can do justice. I was 15 the last time I saw her. She would great us with a huge "Hellllllloooo little girl. How chaarrming to see you." My brother was five and she say "Hellloooo wee man. Are you afraid of me?" sooooo loudly. My brother was scared. She was such a huge presence and he was so small. She had a tiny little dog and a silver dog treat dish. Delightfully eccentric person. Hope she rests in peace.

RE: Editing: I was going by the "How-To" Guidebook here: Trimming silences to a consistent value
You may want to make sure silences within paragraphs all have roughly the same duration (e.g. all between 0.5s and 1s), and all silences between paragraphs another duration (e.g. all between 1.5s and 3s).

I chose 3s because there is just SO much in there, I feel the listener needs time to digest it all. What length do you recommend for between paragraph silences? I'm happy to do 2.5s but I'd like to keep in on the longer side.

Allie
Hi! That's an interesting anecdote about your character voice. For between paragraph silences, I usually keep between 0.5 - 1.5 seconds, but you are of course welcome to do longer. I would recommend a length of about 2 - 2.5s for this recording.
Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa »

alright Walnut, let me know what you think of this version. I did all the things you asked and tried to cut some of the silences within paragraphs too. Still getting the hang of editing :)

28:37
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

Eidyiaa wrote: May 28th, 2018, 6:34 pm alright Walnut, let me know what you think of this version. I did all the things you asked and tried to cut some of the silences within paragraphs too. Still getting the hang of editing :)

28:37
Sounds great. This section is now PL OK! :thumbs:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
rampantant

Post by rampantant »

Hello! These seem fun!
May I claim sections 5, 8 and 15?
Reader Page

Feedback always welcome!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
rampantant

Post by rampantant »

Hi again!

Here's Section 5. https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/visitsofelizabeth_05_glyn_128kb.mp3 [00:07:13]

I had so much fun, I'd gladly take up the last two remaining sections, 16 and 17, if that's okay.
Reader Page

Feedback always welcome!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have orphans!
Carolin