[COMPLETE] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 9 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night - Volume 09 by Anonymous ( - ). Translated by Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-the-thousand-nights-and-a-night-arabian-nights-volume-09-by-anonymous/

This is part of the collection of 16 volumes that makes up the group A Thousand Nights and a Night. The word counts for 2 nights are roughly between 2,000 and 3,000 words making these simple stories to relate. If you wish to complete an entire "story" please start with the MW entry in the 3rd post and read through all the sections in the story (some are quite short).
This is a collection of stories collected over thousands of years by various authors, translators and scholars. The are an amalgam of mythology and folk tales from the Indian sub-continent, Persia, and Arabia. No original manuscript has ever been found for the collection, but several versions date the collection's genesis to somewhere between AD 800-900. The stories are wound together under the device of a long series of cliff-hangers told by Shahrazad to her husband Shahryar, to prevent him from executing her. Many tales that have become independently famous come from the Book, among them Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and the voyages of Sinbad the Sailor. This collection comes from the ninth of sixteen volumes translated by Burton.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3443
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night Volume 9. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night Volume 9, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton.
    • Start of each Night

Say: Night [#]
    • End of each Night

Say: End of Night [#]

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night Volume 9, by Anonymous. Translated by Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890)."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      arabiannightsvolume9_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. arabiannightsvolume9_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Foon on July 28th, 2018, 2:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
carteki

Post by carteki »

If you want to complete a Story then please select the nights (and relevant MW Section) from the list below. The point of these tales was that nothing ended at the end of the night so that the tale had to continue to the next night (or the next) in order to be complete - at which point because there was more night, another started.
Night Tale
889 Ali Nur Al-Din and Miriam the Girdle-Girl (continued)
894 The Man of Upper Egypt and His Frankish Wife
896 The Ruined Man of Baghdad and his Slave-Girl
899 King Jali'ad of Hind and His Wazir Shimas: Followed by the History of King Wird Khan, son of King Jali'ad with His Women and Wazirs:
-900 The Mouse and the Cat
-902 The Fakir and His Jar of Butter
-903 The Fishes and the Crab
-903 The Crow and the Serpent
-904 The Wild Ass and the Jackal
-905 The Unjust King and the Pilgrim Prince
-906 The Crows and the Hawk
-907 The Serpent-Charmer and His Wife
-908 The Spider and the Wind
-909 The Two Kings
-910 The Blind Man and the Cripple
-918 The Foolish Fisherman
-918 The Boy and the Thieves
-919 The Man and his Wife
-920 The Merchant and the Robbers
-921 The Jackals and the Wolf
-921 The Shepherd and the Rogue
-924 The Francolin and the Tortoises
930 Abu Kir the Dyer and Abu Sir the Barber
940 Abdullah the Fisherman and Abdullah the Merman
946 Harun Al-Rashid and Abu Hasan, The Merchant of Oman
952 Ibrahim and Jamilah
959 Abu Al-Hasan of Khorasan
963 Kamar Al-Zaman and the Jeweller's Wife
978 Abdullah Bin Fazil and His Brothers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Would you like me to move this to Readers Wanted, or do you want to finish filling in the word counts first? :)
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

It's probably a bit premature but I happened to stumble over this...

May I claim nights 901-910 please (sections 7-11)? It would allow me to keep continuity over a few (short) tales.

Cheers,
Paul
Foon

Post by Foon »

To the MC who picks this up: I just found out that the Gutenberg text cuts off very abruptly, in the middle of a night, just when a new story is about to be announced. The next volume (10) starts with the last ~250 words of the last night in this volume (9). The other volumes as far as I've seen all start and end cleanly at the beginning/end of a night.
Would it be OK to include those 250 words in this volume of recordings?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not sure why no one has picked this up for you. I'll do it. :)

Yes, I think it would be fine to include the additional text at the end of this volume. I think you/we should make a note of that in the intro/summary, so that it's not seen as an error. It'll have to be noted in volume 10's intro, also.

Is there anything else that needs to be done besides getting an MC? Is it ready to move to Readers Wanted?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks! :D
I think we're ready, yes! If no DPL comes in I'll PL sections myself as they come in. I'll fix the word count for the last section later and make a note of the additional bit of text to be included in it.

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi Foon...

The above offer to read is still open if you want it... :)

Cheers,
Paul
Foon

Post by Foon »

Excellent, thank you!
I was gonna message you when I got an MC and got the last bit set up, but you beat me to it :D

Thanks for claiming, happy recording! :thumbs:

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Please include this at the end of the last section (52; night 989):

MA'ARUF THE COBBLER AND HIS WIFE
There dwelt once upon a time in the God-guarded city of Cairo a cobbler who lived by patching old shoes. His name was Ma'aruf and he had a wife called Fatimah, whom the folk had nicknamed "The Dung;" for that she was a whorish, worthless wretch, scanty of shame and mickle of mischief. She ruled her spouse and abused him; and he feared her malice and dreaded her misdoings; for that he was a sensible man but poor-conditioned. When he earned much, he spent it on her, and when he gained little, she revenged herself on his body that night, leaving him no peace and making his night black as her book; for she was even as of one like her saith the poet:—

How manifold nights have I passed with my wife * In the saddest plight with all misery rife:
Would Heaven when first I went in to her * With a cup of cold poison I'd ta'en her life.

One day she said to him, "O Ma'aruf, I wish thee to bring me this night a vermicelli-cake dressed with bees' honey." He replied, "So Allah Almighty aid me to its price, I will bring it thee. By Allah, I have no dirhams to-day, but our Lord will make things easy." Rejoined she,—And Shahrazad perceived the dawn of day and ceased to say her permitted say.

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Well, let's get this show on the road!

Section 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume9_07_anonymous_128kb.mp3
17.9Mb
19m36s
Foon

Post by Foon »

SkyRider wrote: July 31st, 2018, 10:48 am Well, let's get this show on the road!

Section 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume9_07_anonymous_128kb.mp3
17.9Mb
19m36s
Excellent! Thanks for kicking it off!
I'll be PLing until someone else volunteers, it might take a few days though as I'm on holidays :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 7 is beautifully read and PL OK! :thumbs:

I look forward to your other recordings! :9:

Readers needed:
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »