COMPLETE! A Raw Youth by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
shushudolphin

Post by shushudolphin »

Thanks for proofing! Hope you enjoyed my narration.

Here's part 2 chapter 1 (#11) at 40:59.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rawyouth_11_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3
shushudolphin

Post by shushudolphin »

For anyone who is reading this book, there is something that I have kept in mind from the start that has kept this book incredibly interesting. Dostoevksy suffered from temporal lobe epilepsy. This form of epilepsy causes what back in the day were called "visions." There are several scientists (notably: Michael Persinger) who have written on a theory that many religious visionaries of the past actually had temporal lobe epilepsy. But Dostoevsky had a certain type of temporal lobe epilepsy called "Geshwind syndrome." Apart from very intense seizures, this mental illness has four main symptoms:

Hypergraphia (an intense, insatiable desire to write)
Hyperreligiosity
Atypical sexuality (generally either a low or high sex drive)
Circumstantiality (Going on long tangents and not being able to stay on track)

I feel like his syndrome shines through this book in a beautiful way. The book certainly feels like it was written in a burst of hypergraphia, the pacing can sometimes be so intensely fast that you're struggling to keep up. There are little bursts of hyper-religiosity here and there. The narrator Arkady seems rather hyposexual, ranting on and on but rarely ever thinking about women, and viewing the nude form of women as disgusting because of a traumatic event. Arkady's father, however, is criticized for being a womanizer. The whole book demonstrates circumstantiality. It's all over the place, a convoluted mess--- both the characters and the story, but I think it's beautiful. He constantly sets up for things which will be introduced over 100 pages later. It's genius, but I do wish there were fewer characters... So far I love it, but I'm only on part 2 chapter 2.

One last comment.

Dostoevsky spoke of the bliss he found in his seizures as "happiness unthinkable in the normal state and unimaginable for anyone who hasn’t experienced it… I am in perfect harmony with myself and the entire universe."
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. Would you like to read more chapters from this book?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

What an interesting post. I didn't know that. Thank you so much for teaching me. It is so wonderful to know.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
shushudolphin

Post by shushudolphin »

I'm glad you found it interesting! Yeah, I definitely plan on doing more chapters. I'll let you know which ones later.
coreys

Post by coreys »

Part 1, Chapter 9 please?
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello coreys,
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Sure, part 1, chapter 9 is all yours. But before you proceed, please:
1. submit a one-minute sampal recording in the listeners and eddetors wanted forum to make sure your technical settings are alright.
2. Let us know under which name you would like to be credited in the catalogue and if there is a url which you would like us to link to your name.
If you have questions, just ask. Have fun,
Stav.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 11 PL OK
:D
and thanks for the interesting background
Cheryls
shushudolphin

Post by shushudolphin »

I'd like to do Part 2 chapter 2 (section 12). Thank you :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure. Have fun.
shushudolphin

Post by shushudolphin »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. Let me know if you want to continue.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Section 12 PL OK
very nice
Cheryls
coreys

Post by coreys »

miss stav wrote: April 7th, 2018, 1:39 pm Hello coreys,
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Sure, part 1, chapter 9 is all yours. But before you proceed, please:
1. submit a one-minute sampal recording in the listeners and eddetors wanted forum to make sure your technical settings are alright.
2. Let us know under which name you would like to be credited in the catalogue and if there is a url which you would like us to link to your name.
If you have questions, just ask. Have fun,
Stav.
Take me off the assignment, thanks. I have microphone problems I'm not ready to pay for.
shushudolphin

Post by shushudolphin »

I'll take part two chapter 3