COMPLETE[GROUP]The Pirate Woman by Captain Dingle - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Manar wrote: May 9th, 2018, 4:43 am May i claim Section 11 and 12 please ?
welcome to the forum, Manar. Unfortunately sections 11 and 12 are for the time being reserved for Fatima (you can read that in the Magic Window in the notes section). But some other sections are still available.

I see you have claimed quite a lot of sections in other projects too. Your enthusiasm is very laudable. But it would be a good idea to do a short one minute test to check the technical settings of your recording program before you launch into any long readings. It would be a pity if a long chapter could not get accepted because the technical settings were wrong. Better iron out those kinks first (if there are any). :)

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Okay my one minute test is complete and apparently passed :) I will be receiving a condenser mic tomorrow which should be even better, so I will use whichever one produces the best result. Do I need to post the link to my one minute test here, or what is the next step for me? Thanks,

Fatima
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

FatimaA wrote: May 12th, 2018, 8:01 pm Do I need to post the link to my one minute test here, or what is the next step for me?
You record the sections. :) You might want to wait for the other microphone though. I only don't know whether that will help much; the wave looks kind of like the mic is switched off when you don't talk and then offset is produced.

Do you record on a PC?
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Yes, I'm recording on a PC using WavePad, but until now I've been using a USB microphone. USB can cause all sorts of problems, and my PC does have very good onboard audio, so I'm looking forward to seeing if an analog condenser mic will improve things a bit. I'm not able to spend a tremendous amount of money on a microphone, but anything may be better than USB. :)
kaymac

Post by kaymac »

Howdy! I would like to claim section 6 "THE PARTY FROM THE YACHT" from this work. It will be my first recording. Thanks, and happy mother's day!

PS, I go by "Erik McKenna"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

kaymac wrote: May 13th, 2018, 2:12 pm Howdy! I would like to claim section 6 "THE PARTY FROM THE YACHT" from this work. It will be my first recording. Thanks, and happy mother's day!

PS, I go by "Erik McKenna"
Welcome to Librivox. Please complete your 1 Minute Test first as explained in your introductory note. I will hold this chapters for you until your equipment settings have been reviewed. Much easier to make sure everything is correct with a short section than what will end up around 20 minutes!

Thanks, Todd
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

Here is the link for Section 17. The duration is 16:01.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_17_dingle_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:33 amHere is the link for Section 17. The duration is 16:01.
thank you Philip. Interesting chapter again. A typical trial to test the greed of people. I'm not sure Pearse really passed the test. :|

I only have one note to make:

> at 13:31: "Calling Milo back she bade him conduct Pearse from the great chamber" - this sentence is repeated, you can cut out one of the versions

thanks, great reading ! :)

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Sonia:

Thank you for your PL. The corrected Section 17 is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_17_dingle_128kb.mp3

New length 15:56.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: May 15th, 2018, 7:01 am The corrected Section 17 is here:
thank you, Philip, perfect now. PL ok.

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Okay this is my first LibriVox recording ever, and I essentially consider it a trial run. I'm sure I will end up re-recording this a couple of times, but I'd love to get some feedback on my first attempt. This is chapter 11...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/piratewoman_11_dingle_128kb.mp3

Thank you!

Fatima
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

FatimaA wrote: May 17th, 2018, 1:00 am Okay this is my first LibriVox recording ever, and I essentially consider it a trial run. I'm sure I will end up re-recording this a couple of times, but I'd love to get some feedback on my first attempt. This is chapter 11...

Thank you!

Fatima
Thank you. Could you please post how long the recording is?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 17th, 2018, 1:00 amOkay this is my first LibriVox recording ever, and I essentially consider it a trial run. I'm sure I will end up re-recording this a couple of times, but I'd love to get some feedback on my first attempt. This is chapter 11...
Hello Fatima, and thank you so much for this great narrative. :thumbs: This will definitely NOT end up being re-recorded a couple of times, because you made a flawless word-perfect reading. Also you read very lively and with emphasis at the right places, so the listening experience doesn't get boring for the audience.

“from the beautiful land of Kashmir” –-> this intro made me smile :9:

The sound is a little bit off, but that may be a microphone problem. Is it a USB microphone ? Are you sitting far away from it ? In any case, it's not that bad and it doesn't diminish the listening pleasure.

I'm a bit ashamed to mention one tiny thing though :oops: especially because there was nothing wrong with the reading, but I have a note concerning the silences at the beginning and end.

> the silence at the beginning is too long, we usually leave 0.5-1 second only, you have over 2 seconds. Could you cut this down a little bit ?

> at 15:49: at the end we leave a standard of 5 seconds. You now have 6 seconds, this doesn’t have to get changed for this time, but I’m only mentioning it, so that that it doesn’t get any longer in the next recordings ;)

Excellent job for your first recording, Fatima, and I'm already looking forward to your next chapter. :D

Sonia
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Okay, I trimmed the silences at the beginning and end, so this should now be in compliance! Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback! Yes, I'm still using a USB microphone. I tried a couple analog microphones but didn't have a very good experience with them. They were both condenser mics intended for musical performances, and were way too sensitive (lots of feedback and reverb that proved too difficult to clean up). I'm currently using the Samson Q2U, since it's specifically recommended in the Librivox guidelines. I'd love to try an analog microphone as well, and am totally open to any recommendations! If you listen to my first three one-minute tests, you'll see how much the Samson Q2U has improved my current situation. The first three were done with other USB microphones, including a couple of headsets, and although they passed all the tests and therefore qualified, they really sounded awful!!

Anyhow, here is the corrected version of Chapter 11. Please check the silence at the beginning and end just to verify that it meets the requirements. I think at the end its technically 4.7 seconds, but this was as close as I could get without going over. The total length of the recording is now 15:51.

Fatima
"...from the beautiful land of Kashmir!"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

FatimaA wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:26 amOkay, I trimmed the silences at the beginning and end, so this should now be in compliance!
it is, thank you, this is now completely PL ok. :) Congrats for your first official section :clap:
Yes, I'm still using a USB microphone. I tried a couple analog microphones but didn't have a very good experience with them. They were both condenser mics intended for musical performances, and were way too sensitive (lots of feedback and reverb that proved too difficult to clean up). I'm currently using the Samson Q2U, since it's specifically recommended in the Librivox guidelines.
yes I think that is quite a good microphone. I am wondering what causes the sound though. :hmm: It almost sounds as if there was clipping, which happens when you are too loud, but you are barely over 86 dB, so that can't be it. Or did you decrease the volume after recording ?
I think at the end its technically 4.7 seconds, but this was as close as I could get without going over.
no well, we are not THAT picky :lol: 5 seconds is our usual setting, but as I said before, I would have accepted the 6 as well. And 4.7 is absolutely fine. I'm only mentioning it when there are more than 6 seconds, just in case the reader didn't know about the 5-second-rule, then it's better mentioned once, before it gets more and more with each recording. ;) But you definitely don't have to be on the dot at 5.00 seconds. That would be insane :shock:

Thanks again, and see you again for your next section :)

Sonia