[COMPLETE/AUTOBIO/WWI] The Enormous Room by E E Cummings - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! It's in the MW. Hopefully our DPL will show up and listen to it today. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Errr, our DPL DID listen to it, but forgot to post about it. :oops: PL OK!
Jacquerie

Post by Jacquerie »

:thumbs: And here's the next section:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/enormousroom_09_cummings_128kb.mp3 (33:41)

Best regards,
Jacquerie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! PL OK.

I really wish I understood French. :roll:
Jacquerie

Post by Jacquerie »

TriciaG wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 2:24 pm Thank you! PL OK.

I really wish I understood French. :roll:
:D It usually means just what you'd think from the context.
I'm about to start a solo project, but will check back with this project from time to time. If you need more readers, I can always take a break from the other project to help out.

Best regards
Jacquerie
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Hi,

I'd like to read section 4.

Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Divamomarv wrote: April 5th, 2018, 11:56 am Hi,

I'd like to read section 4.

Thanks!
Hi again, Davida!

Did you look at the text of section 4? It's not easy - there's a LOT of French sprinkled throughout. Do you know enough French to handle it?

This is a really difficult text, so I want to be sure readers know what they're getting into.
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Yes, I'm nearly fluent! That's why I wanted to do it!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay! I just wanted to be sure. 8-)
I've put you in for section 4. :)
GillH

Post by GillH »

I could take Section 8.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 8 is already recorded. Did you mean chapter 8, section 10, The Wanderer? :)
siege728

Post by siege728 »

Sorry to quality is not perfect. But here are my chapters. There may be a few editing errors I missed. May I have Section 6 Please?
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Enormous_Room_Chap_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/EnormousRoom_Chap2.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 2:

You didn't do your 1-minute test. You've got some technical settings to fix, as well as a lot of edits to make. It's best to work from the end to the beginning (backwards) - that way the time stamps on the edits left to make don't change when you add/remove audio.

0:23 - Please say chapter title, "En Route", before the chapter text begins.

2:51-2:54 - someone whistling in the background? Cuts into phrase which will need to be re-recorded

3:07 - "I began to wonder what trees looked like" - stumble on "looked" that can probably be cut out

4:05 - stumble: "as I should have obtained a pencil"

5:16-5:22 - long pause to be cut out

5:32-34 - noises. A loud sip and swallow of liquid? It distorts the beginning of the sentence, "Then from the left" - please re-record this phrase.

5:52 - "Twas dark. The voice stopped in the middle" - cut out "twas dark" as it doesn't belong here. :)

6:09 - "As I lay on my back a little silhouette came along the sill and ate that piece of a piece" - missing "came along the sill"

6:11-6:14 - long pause to cut down

6:28 - "awakend by a conversation" - pause and stumble in this,

7:17 - "next time I come to see you today" - stumble in this that can easily be cut out

9:54 - "having finished, panting with stink" - I heard "painting with stink" ;)

11:11 - "brought no response this evening" - noise (chair squawk?) in phrase. Needs re-recording.

11:29-11:35 - this is being picky, but this sentence could be tightened up. It almost sounds like the song is called "the Frenchman", but it's the song that the Frenchman taught us. :)

11:56-12:00 - long pause to be cut down

12:39-12:43 - loud squawk in the phrases. Needs re-recording.

13:18 - loud lip smack

14:35 - stumbles in: "asks a rube movie-cop personage"

16;14 - "A driver stops his wagon" - you yawn as you read this. Please re-record it.

16:33 - "strictly vegetarian diet" - stumble in this.

16:56 - "I am doing too much for you as it is" - squawk in the phrase

17:12 - loud lip smack

17:23-17:25 - loud squawks

17:33 - loud squawk. I don't think you can just delete it but need to re-record the phrase

17:47 - loud lip smack

18:21 - "outwitted the gumshoe fraternity. (new paragraph) The gosse could scarcely balance" - there's no pause at all between these sentences. Please add about a second's pause.

18:37 - "A strongly-built, groomed apache" - this French word is not pronounced like the Native American tribe. It's "a-PASH". Please correct.

19:00 - chair squawk

19:18 - "we grinned at each other" - stumble before this phrase, please delete mistake.

19:21 - "the most cordial salutation, by the way" - stumbles in this phrase (and you say "almost" rather than "most")

19:29 - "he, plus my baggage" - stumbles and unclear words in this phrase

19:37 - immediately after "the other" a chair squawk. If you're careful, you can cut out just the chair squawk without harming the words. While you're there, please cut out a little of the pause right after this. :)

19:58 - stumble and repeat: "the guardians of the peace squinted cautiously from their respective windows"

20:20 - stumble and repeat: "in the form of a huge tin cup overflowed"

20:28 - while you're close to this spot, please tighten up this space a bit. :)

20:57 - missing "Never have I tasted such wine."

21:15-21:17 - longish pause

21:23 - loud lip smack

21:43-21:46 - longish pause with the sound of drinking. Please cut out the part with the drinking sounds.

21:57-22:01 - stumble & repeat: "in its waterproof roll",

22:01-22:03 - long pause (maybe with some more drinking).

22:05 - chair squawk

22:22 - stumble & repeat: "I have wanted such a piece of rubber for a great while"

22:51-22:53 - longish pause

22:59 - "The apache thought it very droll." please re-record to correct pronunciation on this French word.

23:30 - missing "he whispered radiantly"

23:51-23:56 - "It happened that the train stopped and the apache was persuaded to go out and get his prisoner's canteen filled" - "apache" again, :) and a chair squawk in the next phrases (up to "Then" in the next sentence).

24;16 - "Now the gendarmes" - chair squawk

24:27 - "little and cruel, woke from the trance" - longish pause in this sentence, with noises. Please cut down a bit by deleting the noises

24:34 - loud lip smack

24:45 - "silently" - chair squawk

25:00 - "Silently the divine eyes said to mine" I hear "Silently the divine man said to me" (definitely a difference in meaning)

25:13 - "The apache descends" - please fix pronunciation

25:31 - "finally I could not possibly hold it." - stumble in this phrase, needs re-recording

25:48 - "and so at length we come into the yard of a little prison" - stumbles in this phrase

25:58 - loud lip smack

26:43 - "and immensely padlocked" - half yawn in this phrase

27:17 - "across one minute opening" - "minute" is pronounced "my-NOOT" in this case (meaning "small" rather than "a unit of time")

28:02 - "clung like a monkey" - stumble

28:04 - loud lip smack

29:04 - loud lip smack

29:16 - "Evidently the head of the house speaking. I obeyed." missing "I obeyed."

29:39 - "Four feet went away." - I hear "four feet away, I felt.." (changes meaning)

29:55 - Please add 3 more seconds of silence at the end, to total 5.

Tech fixes:

- Volume is too high; needs to come down about 6 dB. On this recording, just do Effect/Amplify and put in -6. IN future recordings, please lower your input volume (the mic slider in the Audacity window, assuming you're using Audacity. Try 1.5 notches; if you're at 0.90, lower it to 0.75).

- Bit rate is variable; it needs to be 128 constant. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting for future exports until you change it again.

When making the new file, please name it "enormousroom_02_cummings_128kb" as per the instructions in the first post.

---

Please listen through chapter 3 and make edits similar to any I've listed above for chapter 2 (vocal stumbles, chair squawks, yawns, loud lip smacks, overly-long pauses in sentences... and it'd be good to read along with the text while listening so that you can catch any missed phrases). The files should be in "ready to catalog" condition as much as you can make them before you submit them. I'll wait to add chapter 3 to the Magic Window until I get your double-checked file. :) Thanks!
siege728

Post by siege728 »

Sorry, I tried to edit it as best I could. How do you edit stuff that is mixed in with text? That in particular was a problem for me. Also. for the rerecording of parts, do you create it separately and splice it in? Sorry. First time I used audible. I though I did the one minute test.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. You may have uploaded the test, but you never told anyone about it - never posted it in the forums. If you don't tell anyone it's there, no one will know about it. :)

Here are a couple videos to help with editing:
Cutting Mistakes and Replacing Words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLdJsoGQc9c
Basic Editing 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg

Hope these help!