COMPLETE: Life and Lillian Gish by Albert Bigelow Paine - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well I'm trying to get as much of my backlog worked off before I depart in the weekend. Nice chapter, Linda, now I finally get to know the beginning of her life :lol: I like the dreamy quality in your voice here. :)

Also: perfectly PL ok. Great ! Thanks.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Thank you Sonia! Have a great weekend! :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Aaaaaand here's Section 22:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/lifeandlilliangish_22_paine_128kb.mp3 [13:59]

I kinda wish I'd added an extra second of silence to pad this out to an even 14:00. :hmm:
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Chuck. :D And don't worry, an extra second might be added when this goes to the catalog. :P
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm Aaaaaand here's Section 22:
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/lifeandlilliangish_22_paine_128kb.mp3 [13:59]
I kinda wish I'd added an extra second of silence to pad this out to an even 14:00. :hmm:
well I think your wish may be granted, Chuck, because I found some missing lines, which will lengthen the recording ;)

> at 1:39-1:49: “Her lack of so-called acting is the secret of her success” – phrase repeated, can be cut out once

> at 8:02: you jumped a few lines here, the underlined part is missing: “There were other babies in the picture. Babies were easy to get, then. There was no enforced law about it, and one could pick them up by the dozen, in Los Angeles, or anywhere—Mexican babies—with a little girl to look after them when not in use.”

The rest, perfectly narrated, as always :)

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: March 26th, 2018, 2:20 am
ChuckW wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm Aaaaaand here's Section 22:
well I think your wish may be granted, Chuck, because I found some missing lines, which will lengthen the recording ;)

> at 1:39-1:49: “Her lack of so-called acting is the secret of her success” – phrase repeated, can be cut out once

> at 8:02: you jumped a few lines here, the underlined part is missing: “There were other babies in the picture. Babies were easy to get, then. There was no enforced law about it, and one could pick them up by the dozen, in Los Angeles, or anywhere—Mexican babies—with a little girl to look after them when not in use.”

The rest, perfectly narrated, as always :)

Sonia
Hahaha! You know... I thought something was a little weird about that section when I was going through and editing the file. I kinda just chalked it up to some antiquated turn of phrase or something... but nope. I just skipped a line.

Can I also confess that this whole thing about easily accessible babies is absolutely horrifying? Easily one of the most upsetting things I've read for Librivox.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/lifeandlilliangish_22_paine_128kb.mp3 [14:06]

...still didn't make it to an even 14:00. :|
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

ChuckW wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm Can I also confess that this whole thing about easily accessible babies is absolutely horrifying? Easily one of the most upsetting things I've read for Librivox.
Goodness, yes. :| It's astonishing how few ethical standards there were in the early days of Hollywood. Heartbreaking to think of the personal costs, and all for the sake of entertainment. :(

MW is updated with the new timestamp. Since you helped bring this book to Gutenberg, you're welcome to more sections, if you wish. :D We've sort of hit a wall in terms of new claims, so there's plenty still left.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: March 26th, 2018, 4:21 pmCan I also confess that this whole thing about easily accessible babies is absolutely horrifying?
well, I did not think they meant that the babies were stolen or anything. :shock: I thought maybe there were plenty of families/mothers about in the streets and if you asked them for their babies to play a cameo role in a movie, they would readily agree to it for one day.

This section it PL ok now :)

Sonia
gbondy

Post by gbondy »

Hello all! Could I claim part 44 'Wind'?
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hi Sonia and Tomas

may I do chapters 45 ...California and 48 ...Flying Carpet

john
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Good to see you here again, John. :) Those sections have been assigned to you.
gbondy wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:52 am Hello all! Could I claim part 44 'Wind'?
gbondy, thank you for expressing your interest! Before I can officially sign you up, however, you will need to complete your One-Minute Test and have it approved. This is done to make sure your technical settings meet our standards. Once you let me know that it's OK, I will put you in for "Wind."

Since this is your first recording, we also need to know what name you'd like to go by in the catalog. It could be your forum name, your real name, or a pseudonym. Please let me know your preference so I can have it put in. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hello Tomas and Miss Kitty

Chapter 45 is 7:53

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeandlilliangish_45_paine_128kb.mp3

john
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, John. :)
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, John, another interesting, and flawlessly read chapter. :thumbs: The tone of voice you used for the final paragraph, about Lilian not noticing that these were her last scenes in the silent movies, was somehow foreboding and gave me an agreeable shiver. Good effect, there !

PL ok.

Sonia
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Sonia,

You make this ole man feel good! Thank you.

john :D