COMPLETE Common Sense in the Household: A Manual of Practical Housewifery -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 38 has one minor thing that needs attention and then will be ready to go.

Time: 05:07 "yellow sand (sift the soda and cream-tartar with" Reading has "lift" instead of "sift"

One of the best quotes from the book so far:

"I take this opportunity of warning the innocent reader against placing any confidence whatever in dried currants. I years ago gave over trying to guess who put the dirt in them. It is always there! Gravel-stones lurking under a specious coating of curranty-looking paste, to crucify grown people’s nerves and children’s teeth; mould that changes to mud in the mouth; twigs that prick the throat, not to mention the legs, wings, and bodies of tropical insects—a curious study to one interested in the entomology of Zante. It is all _dirt!_ although sold to us at _currant_ prices."

Bon appetite,

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sections 45 and 49 are PL OK.

Lomond
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you betty :thumbs:
Carolin
lomond

Post by lomond »

BettyB wrote: May 6th, 2018, 7:16 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/commonsense_38_harland_128kb.mp3
Uploaded for spot check at 5:07

Betty
Greetings -

Thanks, Betty.

Lomond
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

After being scrubbed with a combination of hard lard, tea leaves, wood ashes, turpentine, and wood alcohol, Section 55 Sundries (which has a number of receipts for homemade soap) is now PL OK.

Lomond
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you :)
Carolin
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

With just one little exception, Section 53 is almost PL OK.

Time: 27:04 "SANGAREE OR PORTEREE" Reading has "pottery" instead of "porteree"

One of the remedies mentioned in this section was broth made from boiled calves feet. I do not know about you folk, but if I can only imagine what I would do if I was sick in bed with a bad cold and someone came in the room and said, "Guess what I have for you!! Some nice cold calves feet broth!!"

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 21 has one section that needs some attention.

Time: 12:39 "ASPARAGUS SAUCE. A dozen heads of asparagus. 2 teacupfuls drawn butter." Reading has two dozen heads of asparagus and then a start over with 2 teacupfuls.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

RE: Section 12

My first question, Linda, would be to wonder if you were able to read this without some resistance from your stomach. I thought the part where she talked about cracking the pig's head in half and pulling out the brains was especially interesting. Then, mashing the brains until they were smooth and making them into balls to fry. I can't wait until I see a pig and think about these recipes.

The reading had a few startovers that can be quickly edited out and it will be good to go. I noticed that you had an audio filter on and every once in a while, you could hear a popping noise when the filter kicked in. Nothing to require the piece to be re-read; just something to be aware of.

Time: 02:52 "the popular verdict, and the superior quality of the meat repay the thoughtful kindness of his owner. It is a disgrace to humanity," There is a slight startover just before the word "popular" and another startover beginning with "It is a".

Time: 07:20 "strew over the surface thickly with fine bread-crumbs" Reading has a startover around the word "fine".

Time: 10:04 "For stuffing, take a cupful of bread-crumbs," Startover at "take".

Time: 10:45 "Baste with butter and water three times, as the pig gradually warms," Reading has a startover, using "pidge" instead of "pig".

Time: 20:45 "pour in a quart of cold water and put on the" Startover at the word "cold".

Finally, I smiled over an instruction you will not see in any modern recipe, "This can be browned with a red-hot shovel or oven-lid." :-)

Lomond
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much :D :lol:
Carolin
linbur0100

Post by linbur0100 »

lomond wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm Greetings -

RE: Section 12

My first question, Linda, would be to wonder if you were able to read this without some resistance from your stomach. I thought the part where she talked about cracking the pig's head in half and pulling out the brains was especially interesting. Then, mashing the brains until they were smooth and making them into balls to fry. I can't wait until I see a pig and think about these recipes.
Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. That said, I was definitely smiling to myself at the part with the brains... :lol:
lomond wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm The reading had a few startovers that can be quickly edited out and it will be good to go. I noticed that you had an audio filter on and every once in a while, you could hear a popping noise when the filter kicked in. Nothing to require the piece to be re-read; just something to be aware of.
I didn't intentionally have a filter on--I wonder if it could be something with my headset? Or if it's definitely a filter, please let me know if you have any tips and I'll be happy to avoid it for future sections (this was my first. :D )
lomond wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm
Time: 02:52 "the popular verdict, and the superior quality of the meat repay the thoughtful kindness of his owner. It is a disgrace to humanity," There is a slight startover just before the word "popular" and another startover beginning with "It is a".

Time: 07:20 "strew over the surface thickly with fine bread-crumbs" Reading has a startover around the word "fine".

Time: 10:04 "For stuffing, take a cupful of bread-crumbs," Startover at "take".

Time: 10:45 "Baste with butter and water three times, as the pig gradually warms," Reading has a startover, using "pidge" instead of "pig".

Time: 20:45 "pour in a quart of cold water and put on the" Startover at the word "cold".
Thanks so much for catching these. I'll see if I can figure out how to edit them out. :)
lomond wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:39 pm Finally, I smiled over an instruction you will not see in any modern recipe, "This can be browned with a red-hot shovel or oven-lid." :-)

Haha! That one definitely tickled me as well. I think the first time I read it in practice, I actually laughed out loud as I got to that part. :lol: :lol:

Thank you for all your hard work as PL!
linbur0100

Post by linbur0100 »