COMPLETE Common Sense in the Household: A Manual of Practical Housewifery -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lomond

Post by lomond »

dlynne wrote: March 8th, 2018, 6:09 pm Hi Section 1 is uploaded! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/commonsense_01_harland_128kb.mp3
Greetings -

Section 1 is PL OK.

I just need to remember how to update the MW.

This is going to be a fun and interesting project. I wonder how if Marion would have written it differently if she had intended it for husbands.

Lomond
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi lomond, click on bc admin and log in. If you forgot your password, you can request a new one. Then click on the drop down menu on the right hand side and select pl ok :thumbs:

Let me know if anything does not work as expected :)
Carolin
lomond

Post by lomond »

Carolin wrote: March 10th, 2018, 2:10 am Hi lomond, click on bc admin and log in. If you forgot your password, you can request a new one. Then click on the drop down menu on the right hand side and select pl ok :thumbs:

Let me know if anything does not work as expected :)
Greetings -

Tried to request a new password twice and never received one. Which one of my fumbly fingers is not doing something right?

Lomond
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you betty! :D
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Lomond, im sending you a pm. :)
Carolin
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 50 is PL OK.

After a recipe for sugar candy, the author states, "Since children must eat candy, this is the best you can give them." Statements like that probably made her popular with children and dentists alike.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

A few notes on Section 37:

Everything is good, i.e. volume, timing, etc except -

Time: 3:42 in the Ginger Snaps #1 recipe, you add the words "baking soda" after "saleratus" which do not appear in the text.

I am not sure if the author means baking powder or baking soda when she uses saleratus because she often uses soda as an ingredient and, at 12:15 in the recipe for sponge ginger bread, she says "saleratus - not soda".

Time 12:48 - you used the word "experience" instead of "experiment".

Otherwise, both of your sections were nicely read.

Those of you who want to use some of these recipes should have some loppered milk, some saleratus, some syllabub ready as well as a jagging iron and a farina kettle. :hmm:

Lomond
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Yes the word saleratus appears often throughout this chapter and I believe a very unknown word to most so I added the "baking soda" on the first appearance of the word so that the listener would have an idea of what it meant. If this should be removed let me know. I could make it a "note" if that would be better.

Betty
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:

Betty, librivox generally doesnt allow additions to the text. I agree it might be helpful, but there are likely more things a listener might want to look up. So could you please cut this word out again? Thank you :D
Carolin
lomond

Post by lomond »

BettyB wrote: March 12th, 2018, 8:31 pm Yes the word saleratus appears often throughout this chapter and I believe a very unknown word to most so I added the "baking soda" on the first appearance of the word so that the listener would have an idea of what it meant. If this should be removed let me know. I could make it a "note" if that would be better.

Betty
I think the reader's note would be a good approach but I am not sure on the protocol here, so I will let Carolin be the final word on this.

I did some research and I did find that saleratus originally referred to potassium bicarbonate instead of sodium bicarbonate. Ah, the things you find out by volunteering for librivox.

Lomond
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you betty :D
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team