[COMPLETE] The Travels of Ibn Batuta by Ibn Batuta - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you Sara and Travis. I've updated the MW to reflect your claims.
PhileasBlogg wrote: January 11th, 2018, 6:09 pm Hello,

I would like to claim section 8 (chapter 18)

Thanks! :D
Please can you let me know how you want to be reflected on your reader page.
Thanks
Kim
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

I'd like to be reflected as "Lewis Fletcher" on the reader page.
Thanks!
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 8 is PL OK. Thank you so much, Lewis. It's good to have this project on the road again.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Looking at the text I've found that there's been an error in the labeling of the number of the chapter in section 08 in the MW. The chapter on the Maldive Islands is mislabeled as "Chapter 18." Lewis recorded it correctly as "Chapter 19" in accordance with the text. This probably means that other chapters are mislabeled as well. When I get a bit of time free, I could go through and check and correct things if no one else jumps in ahead of me.
Pattymarie
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you Patty for the quick turnaround as well as picking up the mistake in the labels. Between you and me I think we will get it sorted. (bummer, I thought that I'd mastered the art of roman numerals!)
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Hi Kim,

I've found that all the labeling is correct down through section 7 chapter 17. To avoid asking Lewis to change his section number, we could slip chapter 18, which is still "Hindustan" into section 7. I'll go back see how many pages that makes that section as the only possible problem I can see with that is that it might create an awfully long section for a reader.

Then Chapter 20 is "Ceylon."

After that I haven't found out yet how far the mismatching extends. I skipped ahead to the last chapter hoping to make sure it's right before the reader who's claimed it begins to record. It is right. So I'll change the chapter numbers for sections 8 and 9 before going to bed - it's after midnight where I am -- and look further tomorrow.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Uh oh. That does make a very long section because chapter 15 (XV) actually starts on page 112. It's 16 that starts on 139. Some pages have a lot of foot note kind of stuff that I don't think we're reading, but still it's awfully long compared to section 8 with only seven pages. I think you'd better decide how you want to portion out chapters 15 - 18 and whether you want to add another section to accommodate them. Then we'd have to ask Lewis to change his section number. :roll: We'd also have to change the section numbers all the way down which we'd want to do quickly before "Gawoozle" (I haven't seen the person's real name) gets started. Perhaps we should PM them to alert them of a possible change.

Yes, Roman numerals can be a hassle. The fact that I still know them and can work out dates given in them is one of the things that reassure me that though I forget some things I'm not too far gone in age related dementia.
Last edited by pattymarie on January 18th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Well, it was just those two chapters that were off and the real chapter 18 missing. All the other chapters are correctly numbered so it's only a question of whether to insert a new section to give two to accommodate sections 15 - 18. Section 6 with Chapter 14 looks quite long enough already without backing chapter 15 up into it, so I'm afraid a new section might be necessary.
Pattymarie
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

I don't mind changing the section number for chapter 19, if needed :)

Also, I'd like to claim chapter 20 (Ceylon) please!

Thanks,
Lewis
carteki

Post by carteki »

PhileasBlogg wrote: January 18th, 2018, 5:05 pm I don't mind changing the section number for chapter 19, if needed :)

Also, I'd like to claim chapter 20 (Ceylon) please!

Thanks,
Lewis
You read the correct chapter number.
Ceylon assigned. Section numbers are correct. I've checked and found the missing chapter so the MW is now correct.
On another note it looks like you've picked up a MC and DPL for your solo.
Thank you.
sliff

Post by sliff »

Claiming section 13! In the catalog, I'd like to use my full name: Samuel Liff.
PhileasBlogg

Post by PhileasBlogg »

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 9 is PL OK. Thank you, Lewis. We have to scramble to keep up with you, :wink: . Fine readings, it would be great if you have time for some more.
Pattymarie
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you Patty and Lewis for keeping the ball rolling while I was ill.
Please do continue as I'm not yet 100% and not very precious about the project.
I'm happy including ch 18 in section 7. I know that it makes for longer reading, but I have tried to group the chapters into logical sections without making them too short. The number of pages in section 7 is fine.
sliff wrote: January 19th, 2018, 7:30 am Claiming section 13! In the catalog, I'd like to use my full name: Samuel Liff.
Welcome to Librivox. I hope that you enjoy your stay here! We ask that our new readers do a short test just to confirm their technical settings. Details can be found here. But will keep the section you requested as it is a nice starting section.
Regards
Kim