[COMPLETE] Micrographia by Robert Hooke - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Micrographia by Robert Hooke (1635 - 1703)

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded form the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/micrographia-by-robert-hooke/

Published in 1665, this book is considered to be the first scientific best-seller, and is the first publication of the Royal Society. As opposed to the Latin of publications of the time like Newton's 'Principia Mathematica', it was written in English to make it accessible to all. Robert Hooke uses the then fairly new microscope to cover many different subjects including insects, plants, organic material, and even the stars and moon, all fully illustrated by Hooke in detailed hand-drawn diagrams.

<a href="http://www.imgur.com/a/yILBX">The many illustrations which are frequently referenced can be found here</a> (Summary by Jordan)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15491
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Notes:
      • 'Observ.' is short for 'Observation'
      • Because this is a 17th century science book, it has both archaic language and specialized language. I recommend going though a section first, and looking up any weird words, rather than just going in blind
      • If you are doing a part 2, you don't need to read the Observation's title again (if only to prevent Observ. LVIII's ludicrously long title having to be said twice)
      • Please leave in any references to the diagrams. Trying to remove them would just get too complicated, and stray too far from the original text (though do not read the side-notes)

============================================
      Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Nature; *Non-fiction/Science/Life Sciences; *Non-fiction/Science/Earth Sciences
      Keywords that describe the book: science, insects, biology, microscopy, the royal society
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Micrographia. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Micrographia, by Robert Hooke. [Section]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Micrographia, by Robert Hooke. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      micrographia_##_hooke_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. micrographia_01_hooke_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by JorWat on December 30th, 2017, 6:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

I've done a couple of solo projects, and I've been co-BC on a project, but I want to try being full BC on a project of my own.

I will also be DPL (assuming that's allowed...)

A word of warning to readers: this is a seventeenth century book, so can be a little difficult to read at times. There are also some long Latin extracts in some sections (I will note in the MW which ones).
Jordan

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This sounds very interesting! :thumbs: I'll MC this for you.

Okay, looks good! We're ready to go as soon as the MW is filled (and I can already see myself claiming a section or two :wink:)

Personal pet-peeve: Please consider writing your own summary. We link to wikipedia anyway, it would be nice if a listener could find something new on our catalog page.

Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Availle wrote:Personal pet-peeve: Please consider writing your own summary. We link to wikipedia anyway, it would be nice if a listener could find something new on our catalog page.
Very well... I don't think what I've written is as good though.
Jordan

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You have time for the summary until the project is finished. By then you'll have had a chance to listen to the whole book, I'm sure you can come up with something great!

Now let me check that MW... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

To start off, I'd like to do observations 1 and 2. Thanks!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Availle wrote:To start off, I'd like to do observations 1 and 2. Thanks!
I have assigned those sections to you.
Jordan

Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Jordan

Could I claim:

Section 12 - Observation VIII - Of the fiery Sparks ...

Section 18 - Observation XIII - Of the small Diamants ...

Do I read the references (eg: A, B, C etc) to the schema as detailed in the text or do I ignore them?

Thanks

Steve
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Steve wrote:Hi Jordan

Could I claim:

Section 12 - Observation VIII - Of the fiery Sparks ...

Section 18 - Observation XIII - Of the small Diamants ...

Do I read the references (eg: A, B, C etc) to the schema as detailed in the text or do I ignore them?

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

I have assigned those sections to you.

I agree that without the pictures, it's a little odd to include the references, but I think to remove them would require too much changing of the original text.

Ignore the side-notes, but anything in the text needs to stay in.

EDIT: I'm hoping it can be like 'The Book of Art for Young People', which comes with a link to the artwork being talked about.
Jordan

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Could I take the last two sections 65,66?
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

silverquill wrote:Could I take the last two sections 65,66?
Of course you can!
Jordan

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello, Jordan!

This looks like a fascinating read! May I claim sections 39-41.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

Hi Jordan,
May I claim sections 6 and 7?
Thanks, Nuria
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

DrPGould wrote:Hello, Jordan!

This looks like a fascinating read! May I claim sections 39-41.

Many thanks,

Philip
Nuria wrote:Hi Jordan,
May I claim sections 6 and 7?
Thanks, Nuria
Those sections are all yours!
Jordan

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Jordan:

In section 39 there are a number of referents to the hand drawn diagram of a bee's stinging apparatus with the points labelled a, b, c, etc.

A representative sentence is: "The sheath or case seem'd to have several joints or settings together, marked by fghiklmno, it was arm'd moreover neer the top, with several crooks or forks (pqrst) on one side..."

I am concerned that if I read that "as is" the listener will be confused. At the beginning of the reading there is a reference to "the second Figure of the XVI. Scheme" but it does not mention that the points of the figure will be referred to. My thought is to insert something like "This section references specific points on this figure by letters of the alphabet--a, b, c, etc" after the sentence mentioning the figure.

Another option is simply to delete the references (italicized in the sentence above) and just read the text (as we often do with bibliographic footnotes). There may be other options, but these three occurred to me immediately.

I'm prepared to proceed in whatever manner you think is best.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.