COMPLETE Cakes & Ale by Edward Spenser-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Cakes & Ale, A Dissertation on Banquets Interspersed with Various Recipes, More or Less Original, and anecdotes, mainly veracious by Edward Spenser (1844 - 1910).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/cakes-ale-by-edward-spenser/

A long time ago, an estimable lady fell at the feet of an habitual publisher, and prayed unto him:—

“Give, oh! give me the subject of a book for which the world has a need, and I will write it for you.”

“Are you an author, madam?” asked the publisher, motioning his visitor to a seat.

“No, sir,” was the proud reply, “I am a poet.”

“Ah!” said the great man. “I am afraid there is no immediate worldly need of a poet. If you could only write a good cookery book, now! ... What I want,” said the publisher, “is a series of essays on food, a few anecdotes of stirring adventure—you have a fine flow of imagination, I understand—and a few useful, but uncommon recipes. But plenty of plums in the book, my dear sir, plenty of plums.”

“But, suppose my own supply of plums should not hold out, what am I to do?”

“What do you do—what does the cook do, when the plums for her pudding run short? Get some more; the Museum, my dear sir, the great storehouse of national literature, is free to all whose character is above the normal standard. When your memory and imagination fail, try the British Museum. You know what is a mightier factor than both sword and pen? Precisely so. And remember that in replenishing your store from the works of those who have gone before, you are only following in their footsteps. I only bar Sydney Smith and Charles Lamb. Let me have the script by Christmas—d’you smoke?—mind the step—good morning.”

In this way, gentle reader, were the trenches dug, the saps laid for the attack of the great work. (from the Preface)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43278
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Cakes & Ale. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Cakes & Ale, by Edward Spenser. Section [Section number, title]"
    • At the beginning of each section, read the quote(s), but do NOT read the detailed table of contents which follows. Go from the quotes right to the text of the chapter.

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Cakes & Ale, by Edward Spenser. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    cakes_##_spenser_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. cakes_01_spenser_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mary Ann:

This looks like great fun! (And just in time for the Thanksgiving culinary planning season). May I please claim sections 0-2?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Right you are Philip. Thanks for kicking us off!

MaryAnn
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

May I claim 16 and 17.
(you knew I would come didn't you) :clap: :clap:

Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Glad to have you on the case Betty! There's another volume by the same author, focusing on drinks, working its way through distributed proofreaders, so there will be more to come if this one goes well.

MaryAnn
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mary Ann--

Just double checking....the Breakfast Chapters include 1-3. So those are included in the first two sections in the MW. (Not a problem--just want to be sure not to read over someone else's section.)

Many thanks,

Philip
bweston23

Post by bweston23 »

For now I'll take 10-12

Are we reading the list of topics that comes at the beginning of each chapter?

Thanks!

Brandon
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." -Marcel Proust
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

DrPGould wrote:Mary Ann--

Just double checking....the Breakfast Chapters include 1-3. So those are included in the first two sections in the MW. (Not a problem--just want to be sure not to read over someone else's section.)

Many thanks,

Philip
Philip,
Thanks for catching that before we got too far. I've added the missing breakfast section and assigned it to you. Betty's numbers will change - I'll PM her to make sure she sees that before she records.
MaryAnn
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

No problem. I'll finish marking up the text and dust off the mike. :)

Many thanks,

Philip
Last edited by DrPGould on November 6th, 2017, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

bweston23 wrote:For now I'll take 10-12

Thanks!

Brandon
Thanks Brandon, and thanks for suggesting this book!

I've had to insert a missing chapter for Breakfast, so I adjusted your claim numbers to give you the Curries and Salads you requested.

Please do NOT read the list of topics at the beginning of the chapter.

MaryAnn
bweston23

Post by bweston23 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
bweston23 wrote:For now I'll take 10-12

Thanks!

Brandon
Thanks Brandon, and thanks for suggesting this book!

I've had to insert a missing chapter for Breakfast, so I adjusted your claim numbers to give you the Curries and Salads you requested.

Please do NOT read the list of topics at the beginning of the chapter.

MaryAnn
Thanks MaryAnn!
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." -Marcel Proust
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mary Ann:

Here is the link to the Preface. Running time is 8:08.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cakes_00_spenser_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Philip,
And we'll move over to readers wanted . . .
MaryAnn
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mary Ann:

Here is the link for Section 1. Running time is 13:26.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cakes_01_spenser_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Philip!

Love your signature!

MaryAnn