[OPEN][GROUP/MYSTERY] The Goddess by Richard Marsh - kit

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » October 3rd, 2020, 2:51 pm

Hi Sonia,

So, as it's been almost three years since I began this, I figured it's high time we should make this an open project and allow for its completion. One day I'd like to complete a solo, but I'd want to start with something shorter, or even a book of poetry. So you have my permission to move this to the appropriate Readers Wanted forum. I can still act as BC and keep the MW updated; if you want to be excused as DPL and find someone else, that's okay. Or maybe you're intrigued by the mystery and want to see where it goes lol :lol: Either is fine!
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:
The Goddess | Zeus the Tragedian | Dramatic Reading Collection | One-Act Play Collection 13 | The World's Story Volume IX | And more... | To come...

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 4th, 2020, 12:56 am

WiltedScribe wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 2:51 pm
So you have my permission to move this to the appropriate Readers Wanted forum. I can still act as BC and keep the MW updated; if you want to be excused as DPL and find someone else, that's okay. Or maybe you're intrigued by the mystery and want to see where it goes lol :lol:
I actually am intrigued and will stay on as DPL :mrgreen:

Thank you for letting me know and for staying on as BC. This is a very rare offer, that the abandoned solos get carried on by the reader as BC. :thumbs:

I see you already deleted yourself from the remaining sections. What you still could do, to make it easier for potential volunteers to choose a chapter is write "p. xx-xx" in the notes sections. That way, new readers also see right away how long a chapter may be and what sort of commitment is required. I would have done it if I had taken over as BC, but since you want to stay on... ;)

And we also need to change the intro disclaimer to group project. Maybe you could change the intros to sections 2, 3 and 4 still and reupload one last time. That way they are all the same. It's a simple copy/paste job from the first disclaimer, only with another section number, so it's easy to do it.

I'll wait for your MW update, and then we can move it into Readers Wanted. :) I think it's a great idea to start this now that we are approaching Halloween.

Sonia

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » October 4th, 2020, 6:03 am

I'd like to claim Chapter 5, but this is my first recording ever (!) and I can't seem to figure out how to claim it. Am I supposed to be able to write in the table in section 5? Or does someone need to assign it to me?

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » October 4th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Kitty wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 12:56 am
And we also need to change the intro disclaimer to group project. Maybe you could change the intros to sections 2, 3 and 4 still and reupload one last time. That way they are all the same. It's a simple copy/paste job from the first disclaimer, only with another section number, so it's easy to do it.
No problem, Sonia! I'll do the intro changes later, but I've already listed the page numbers, so everything is ready now for the move.
smithjeanb wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:03 am
I'd like to claim Chapter 5, but this is my first recording ever (!) and I can't seem to figure out how to claim it. Am I supposed to be able to write in the table in section 5? Or does someone need to assign it to me?
Thank you for your interest! I'm the coordinator for the project, so I'm responsible for assigning sections. As I see you've completed your one-minute test, I can reserve section 5 for you. In order to make it official, I just need to know the name you'd like to be listed under in the catalog. It could be your real name, a pseudonym, or the same name you use for the forum. Once you tell me I'll put you in!
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:
The Goddess | Zeus the Tragedian | Dramatic Reading Collection | One-Act Play Collection 13 | The World's Story Volume IX | And more... | To come...

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 4th, 2020, 11:55 pm

WiltedScribe wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 5:29 pm
I've already listed the page numbers, so everything is ready now for the move.
excellent, I'll move us over to "Reader Wanted: Books" then
In order to make it official, I just need to know the name you'd like to be listed under in the catalog. It could be your real name, a pseudonym, or the same name you use for the forum. Once you tell me I'll put you in!
actually, you can open the reader page right away once the test is complete :) Just open it with the forum name, I can always change it later, if the reader has another preference.

Do you know how to create a reader page ?

Sonia

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » October 5th, 2020, 12:43 am

Kitty wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 11:55 pm
Do you know how to create a reader page ?
Yes! I just had it done, so smithjeanb is all set to record when she'd like to. Before when I BC'ed and I had new readers, I usually let them choose their catalog name first, but I guess it makes no difference if you can change it later.
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » October 5th, 2020, 1:17 pm

You can list me as Jean Claire as my catalog name. What is that used for? There's a lot to learn here! :)

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » October 5th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Oh, and I don't know how to create a Reader page. Or why I need one. Sorry to be so needy.

retroindiereader

Post by retroindiereader » October 5th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Can I claim section 6?
~Shaun

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » October 5th, 2020, 7:10 pm

smithjeanb wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 1:18 pm
Oh, and I don't know how to create a Reader page. Or why I need one. Sorry to be so needy.
No worries, that's all taken care of. The reader page simply lists every project you record for.
retroindiereader wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 4:58 pm
Can I claim section 6?
Yes, thank you!
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 5th, 2020, 11:30 pm

smithjeanb wrote:You can list me as Jean Claire as my catalog name. What is that used for? There's a lot to learn here! :)
no need to apologize for any questions you have, Jean :) We have all started once and I know it can be a lot to take in at the beginning.

The Reader name can be the same as the Forum name, or your real name or something else. Basically, the Reader name is what you would say in the intro disclaimer: "read for librivox.org by Jean Claire". If you want to say it that way, then your reader name should be "Jean Claire".

And the reader page is opened by the book coordinator (BC) or the meta-coordinator (MC) of the first project you claim a section in, so: here in this case. Here is the link to your page: https://librivox.org/reader/15060 You can see the forum name and reader name on top, and below will be a list of all the projects you participate in. If you click on Reader Section Details, you can see all the claims you have running so far, which sections are still to do, which have PL notes and which are PL ok. It's quite handy to keep track of your projects if you look up this page regularly. :)

If there are any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

And have fun with your first official recording. Please read carefully through the first post of the project before you start. There you will find all the details on how correctly say the intro disclaimer, the title of the chapter, and how to name the finished file and where to upload.

Sonia

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » October 7th, 2020, 8:31 am

Thank you so much!!

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » October 7th, 2020, 10:20 am

Here's chapter 5. I ran it through the checker and it passed, but it had a few warnings in it. Please let me know if I need to redo it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/goddess_05_marsh.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 7th, 2020, 10:24 am

smithjeanb wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 10:20 am
Here's chapter 5. I ran it through the checker and it passed, but it had a few warnings in it. Please let me know if I need to redo it.
well, that depends on the warning ;) I will prooflisten this chapter tomorrow morning and give you ample feedback, since it is your first section. So stay tuned and bookmarked to this thread in case there are any corrections needed.

Thank you for the fast turn-around :thumbs: Oh and please, could you always include the length of the recording when you post the link ? That way the MW can be updated with the time as well.

Also careful with the filename, you forgot the _128kb at the end. The safest way is always to simply copy the example in the first post and change the ## with the section number. No need to reupload right away, wait for the feedback, in case there are other edits needed :)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2020, 12:40 am

smithjeanb wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 10:20 am
so, Jean, I just had a listen to your section and first things first: your reading is absolutely lovely to listen to. A quiet voice, yet with enough emphasis on the right spots to make it interesting. :thumbs: I enjoyed the chapter very much and I do hope to hear much more from you. (so I hope you liked the book so far ;) )

As for the Checker warnings, I am surprised that it gave you a pass, because I ran the file through as well and Checker failed it. Did you maybe upload the wrong file ? :hmm:

Checker failed it because of the volume, the noise level and the DC bias. Now we can fix all that in Audacity, so there is no need to re-record the chapter, don't worry !

Here is what you need to do (this sounds long but it's not much, only I explain more in detail) :

> the volume is only 79 dB, which is below our accepted limits (86-92 dB) I would suggest amplifying by +10 to get into a good average of 89 dB.

The problem of uniformly amplifying arises from some spikes (plosives or the start of a sentence, where your voice is more raised) you have at intervals, like for example at 5:42 "why do you turn..." If you magnify the recording, and highlight this spike and manually decrease the volume by -5 for example, then it will be easier to amplify later on without clipping. There are other parts that have spikes and which would need some manual adjustment as well before amplifying. You can see these spikes easily in Audacity, it's when the waves suddenly peak much higher

The best thing is always to keep your voice more level throughout the recording. What I do is watch the Audacity audiowaves pass by while I record, that way I see immediately when I am reading a "spike". I then repeat the sentence and keep my voice more level, and later in editing it's easy to cut out the spiked sentence. With some more practice you will soon get the hang of it to keep your voice more level :D

> the background noise is quite high, could you run one round of noise-cleaning please ?

> your DC bias is excessively high, if you have the Checker you will see that it failed the file with +356 in DC bias. :shock: This should usually only be around -1, 0 or +1, not too high at least. You can remove the DC bias in Audacity easily:
> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Normalize
> tick the box "Remove DC offset" and press OK

so much for the technical corrections. If you need any help with those, don't hesitate to ask again. It's a learning process, and it's normal that you will have lots of questions in the beginning. You will see, after a few sections under your belt, it will be all routine for you.

Now to the text. On the whole it was word-perfect, which is exceptionally good and accurate. :clap: I found a few small stumbles which could be snipped out, but it's not too disturbing.

Here is what I would want to correct though:

> at the beginning we recommend only 0.5-1 second of silence maximum, because over 2 seconds feels too long for a listener to wait for a section to begin

> could you please read the full intro, which is always written out in the first post ? I suspect you listened to one of the previous chapters by Tomas. ;) Back then he still did it as Solo and Soloists can do a shorter version of the intro disclaimer. But now as group project we need to revert to the full disclaimer again.
This is all that you have to record:
"Chapter 5 of The Goddess: A Demon.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org.
Recording by Jean Claire
The Goddess: A Demon, by Richard Marsh. Chapter 5: A curious case"

> at 2:52: (p. 47)"it filled me with a curious sense of exhilaration" – there is an disturbingly audible click in "exhilaration" - if you wish to correct this, I would recommend recording that one sentence once more in a second Audacity window, then noise-clean and amplify, highlight and copy and then paste it into the correct slot in the masterfile. That is the easiest way to make edits. If you listen to the sentence before and after your new recording, you can then adjust the volume a bit so it fits the text around the new sentence.

> at 6:24: (p. 50) stumble and repeat "she met my glances with serenely untroubled countenance" – one "with" can easily get cut out if you magnify that part

> and since you have to reupload anyway, please also change the file name to the correct standard, as stated in the first post: goddess_05_marsh_128kb

> and yes, also please always include the file length when you post the new link :)

Thank you, and it was a great first section. The few cosmetical flaws are easily ironed out. Don't hesitate to ask if you are unsure about anything. In any case, do NOT re-record it all, it's really too much work for you as reader and for me as DPL. We encourage getting the hang of editing right from the start, it will save so much time later on with further sections :)

Sonia