Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
JayFoxe

Post by JayFoxe »

Hi,

Could I take chapter three?

Thanks,
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

With pleasure. It is all yours. I am glad to see you here.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
JayFoxe

Post by JayFoxe »

Thanks. Looking forward to contributing :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've just read through the first four chapters of this, and am liking it very much so far! I'll read chapters 4 and 5 for you, and probably some more later on down the road.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How wonderful. They are all yours. Have fun. It is a great book (smile) but I am not objective (wink).
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I haven't started recording yet, but I'm reading through this story and, as I said, enjoying it very much. I looked up Mendelssohn's "Elijah," the tune of Morningquest's chime that keeps being referred to, and found the sheet music. Then I created a little 12-second file of what those chimes would sound like. I thought it would be a rather nice touch, if you want, to insert the sound of the chimes at the places where the music appears. What do you think?

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/mendelssohn_heavenlytwins.flac
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, I confess I don't know what is legal in such cases. We need everything to be in the public domain. If the sheet music is in the public domain, then we are fine. If we don't know, we cannot use it. We certainly cannot put music when text is read. When was the sheet music published and when did the composer die? I am sorry I have to ruin the fun. Personaly, I would have loved to put in music.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, there's no doubt whatsoever about its being public domain. I suppose I should have included this information to begin with, but Elijah (the cantata from which this line is taken) was published in 1846. Here is the wikipedia page for Felix Mendelssohn, the composer (1809-1847). I got the sheet music from this page.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I am very sorry, but this is not in the public domain. There is a copyright notice in the botum of the page. I will try to help you find another version, but now I am in the middle of fixing dinner so will do this later.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I hate to seem combative, but this is from the page I linked to where I found the music:
Composer :
Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Felix (1809 - 1847)
Instrumentation :
Soli, Chorus and Orchestra
Style :
Romantic
Date : 1846
Copyright : Public Domain
Sheet central :
Elijah (14 sheet music)
I don't see the copyright notice you're referring to. I understand your reticence, however, and as this is your project, it is your decision. Enjoy your dinner!

EDIT: Unless you mean this:
VRCI © 2000 - 2018
If so, I believe that is the copyright for the webpage/web layout itself, not the music.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

How very silly of me to miss this. I am so sorry.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

miss stav wrote: January 29th, 2018, 1:36 pm How very silly of me to miss this. I am so sorry.
It happens. Especially if you're in a hurry to log off and go do something else. I've been there, believe me. :D