[Complete] Prisoner of the Mill by Harry Hazelton - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Prisoner of the Mill by Harry Hazelton (1848 - 1909).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/prisoner-of-the-mill-by-harry-hazelton/
Subtitled "Captain Hayward's Body Guard”. An adventure story for boys, set in the American Civil War. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51318
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Harry Hazelton) : n/a
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 14
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1864
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Prisoner of the Mill. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Prisoner of the Mill, by Harry Hazelton. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Prisoner of the Mill, by Harry Hazelton. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    prisonerofthemill_##_hazelton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prisonerofthemill_01_hazelton_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

:D I was browsing, when I found your project. Forgive my forwardness but I did the PL for:

sect 1 Brother and Sister—Forebodings—Nettleton

please remove this extra line (it appears later in its proper place).
7:11 “No, Wells. You informed me of your affection

“I must join with Nettleton in my reproaches, Captain Hayward,” answered Lieutenant Wells, in a subdued tone. “You forget my conversation with you last night!”
“No, Wells. You informed me of your affection for my sister...
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

HZFerr wrote::D I was browsing, when I found your project. Forgive my forwardness but I did the PL for:

sect 1 Brother and Sister—Forebodings—Nettleton

please remove this extra line (it appears later in its proper place).
7:11 “No, Wells. You informed me of your affection

“I must join with Nettleton in my reproaches, Captain Hayward,” answered Lieutenant Wells, in a subdued tone. “You forget my conversation with you last night!”
“No, Wells. You informed me of your affection for my sister...
Thank you... will fix that tomorrow.
brianna

Post by brianna »

Hello Lynnet,

may I claim chapter 14? The Body_Guard's sickness and Cure.

Brianna
Men work together,whether they work together or apart. (R.Frost)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

brianna wrote:Hello Lynnet,

may I claim chapter 14? The Body_Guard's sickness and Cure.

Brianna
Thank you for claiming
brianna

Post by brianna »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

PL notes section 14:
The volume is too high at 95.5 dB. You should amplify by -6.
There is a lot of noise... try running the noise cleaner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw
You should also fix the DC offset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gze0qOPea1E&feature=youtu.be

Good reading, but you should watch your plosives -- that is when air hits your mic when you pronounce certain sounds (such as 'p'). No need to fix them, but try positioning your mic slightly to the side so you are not breathing directly on to it. I've also heard that drinking tea helps prevent them.
brianna

Post by brianna »

Lynnet, hi!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/prisonerofthemill_14_hazelton_128kb.mp3

here is the track again hopefully fixed!

Thank you for the great tips.

Brianna
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

brianna wrote:Lynnet, hi!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/prisonerofthemill_14_hazelton_128kb.mp3

here is the track again hopefully fixed!

Thank you for the great tips.

Brianna
Thank you
rydmor

Post by rydmor »

I'd like to PL Chapter 2 The Tragedy of the Stream. Who was Guilty?

Thanks
rydmor
"The more you learn, the more you learn the less you know" An old friend that may have quoted someone else
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

rydmor wrote:I'd like to PL Chapter 2 The Tragedy of the Stream. Who was Guilty?

Thanks
rydmor
That would be great. Thank you.
holleighmckinney

Post by holleighmckinney »

Lynnet,

I would like to be the PL for Chapter 14: The Body-Guard’s Sickness and Cure.

Thank You for your consideration.

Holleigh
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

holleighmckinney wrote:Lynnet,

Holleigh
Thank you for offering but that s cation has been proof-listened and just had a few technical corrections to be made. This project doesn't have any sections waiting PL (section 2 has been claimed) but as we do not have a dedicated proof listener, please watch for newly recorded sections. Projects with a ~ are up for grabs.
In the meantime, have you read the guide for proof listeners in the wiki? http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
The quiz at the end is very helpful (it's self-graded, so no one will tell you where you are wrong :D )
Lynne
holleighmckinney

Post by holleighmckinney »

Lynnet wrote:
holleighmckinney wrote:Lynnet,

Holleigh
Thank you for offering but that s cation has been proof-listened and just had a few technical corrections to be made. This project doesn't have any sections waiting PL (section 2 has been claimed) but as we do not have a dedicated proof listener, please watch for newly recorded sections. Projects with a ~ are up for grabs.
In the meantime, have you read the guide for proof listeners in the wiki? http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
The quiz at the end is very helpful (it's self-graded, so no one will tell you where you are wrong :D )
Lynne
Thank You. Yes, I understand. Yes, the tutorial/test was very helpful. I had listened to those readings. That’s when I decided that maybe I could actually voice a reading. So I’m going to go and figure out that part of this adventure. I have a headset with mic., it hasnt been used for years, so it’s charging. I’m so excited about this. And I love reading, so maybe I can do it. First, the test reading and submission. Thanks for the encouragement! HM