[COMPLETE]The Dark Other, Stanley Weinbaum-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

icequeen wrote:
RepublicOfVermont wrote:I will listen to Sex Life of the Gods tonight. How did I miss that one? Thanks for the recommendation!

Probably because it is under erotica, although it is pretty mild in the erotic arena. I hope you enjoy it!
I woke up to chapter 19 and am unsure of just when I fell asleep. I will say this: I was literally laughing out loud at the author's obsession with writing the words "breasts", "nipples", and "nightgown". Also, what the hero(?) of the work considered "nightmares" sound to me far more enjoyable than his "reality". I mean really, who doesn't love violet-colored skies?

Edit: I found which chapters I missed. It winds up quite interesting from a sci-fi perspective, though it was so from the start. I also recall from last night plenty of allusions to actions and body parts I'd rather not reference. Oh, and Knerr's insight into Pennsylvania & Pennsylvanians is spot on; I get the sense he wanted no part of it, as do many Pennsylvanians. I know first hand its a horrid place to live, outside of those Philadelphia based humans who can afford a decent life within the unevolved monetary system that sadly still exists. I cannot speak for Pittsburgh. Thank the dimensions Vermont exists on Terra Prime!
Last edited by RepublicOfVermont on October 14th, 2017, 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Exactly! When I saw this book pop up on PG as a just-posted e-book, I knew I had to get this one into the catalog! I was laughing so hard I was crying. And I did listen to it again, after it had been in the catalog for a while, just for fun and to listen to it in order. Great fun! :lol:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

mbm0rxi wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/darkother_04_weinbaum_128kb.mp3

Chapter 4 at 10:41. So quick- may I do sections 5 and 6 ?
Of course! Thank you for claiming and uploading!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RepublicOfVermont

note: I am unable to list anything as 'PL OK' directly within the MW as I use a mobile phone, rarely accessing my desktop. So I can only mark them as approved from within the thread itself.

EDIT: I FOUND A WAY TO DO CHANGE STATUS TO 'PL OK'
That being said,

Section 4 is approved.

Slightly off topic - demons are fun :twisted:
Last edited by RepublicOfVermont on October 15th, 2017, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RepublicOfVermont

How can anyone resist chapter 29? "Scopolomine for Satan". The plant from which the alkaloid derives is generically, at times, refered to as "angel('s) trumpet". The alkaloid itself is refered to as both "burundanga" and "devil's breath". Weinbaum rocks!
mbm0rxi

Post by mbm0rxi »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Sections 7 and 8 are yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RepublicOfVermont

Next thing you know, you’ll be the majority reader :clap:
RepublicOfVermont

Chapters 5 & 6 are hereby approved.

I love chapter 6; the references to mythoi spanning continents and eras, the dual meanings of terms used such as "modern" (as in both "woman" and "thought"), and the ease with which Weinbaum weaves together all (inter)related metaphora is, simply stated, fun!
rraem

Post by rraem »

Can I read section 18 please?

This book looks amazing! I'll have to read the whole thing.
Rebecca
RepublicOfVermont

I see no reason not to welcome you in/onto this production of what is indeed an awesome book. Weinbaum's shorter works of Sci-Fi are utterly hysterical; whereas, in this work he reveals an insight and understanding of a genre too often lacking in the depth that Weinbaum brings to it. It may be a depth unseen by many who read/hear it as nothing more than what is superficially present though I've a feeling you'll appreciate it beyond its surface appearance. Ultimately, icequeen will pass What Will Be-Ith Her Grandeth Judgementeth in The Answereth To Doth Questioneth To Which Ye Seek... a simple yes or no... yeah I get carried away at times. Just at times. Just in(between) time(s), as well. Though I prefer my existences not beholden to human constructs such as time.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

rraem wrote:Can I read section 18 please?

This book looks amazing! I'll have to read the whole thing.
I can't wait until this project is done so I can listen to it! Section 18 is yours, thank you!

What name would you like credited on your catalog page?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
rraem

Post by rraem »

Rraem, my username, please.
Rebecca
mbm0rxi

Post by mbm0rxi »

While recording sections 7 and 8, I recorded 9 and 10 as well since I really wanted to see where this was going. If no one else has claimed them, I'll deliver all 4 shortly. Thanks thanks....ps if some one else wants them, they are welcome to it....don't want to be a chapter hog :)
RepublicOfVermont

Yay! That's all I've to say.