COMPLETE [GRP] Well at the World's End: Book 4 by William Morris -dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
deakle

Post by deakle »

Oh—About my name for the catalog, you can use my real name—David Eakle.

Thanks again.
David
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

You're good to go. Here is a link to your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/12630

As for site navigation, I've found it useful to bookmark the project page of each project I'm active in. Then when you get to the user control panel (click your name on the upper right of the screen and then user control panel you will have an option to see bookmarks.

You can also get there using your reader page (which you can easily access by clicking the link in your user name in the Magic Window.

I've thrown enough new info at you--so I'll hush now. Just don't hesitate to ask if things are confusing or if you need help.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Just saying hi and welcome:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
deakle

Post by deakle »

OK...Chapter 21 has to be the most read, recorded, and deleted chapter in the history of Higham. I have finally made one that, though checker still says it failed, falls inside the prescribed range. However, when I attempt to upload it, I get an "Empty File" message.What does this mean? When I play the mp3's on me computer, there seems to be no problem. Checker reads the volume at 90.4, and I recopied it at -1 amplification make it 89.4. Checker says they both fail—is there something else it bases pass/fail on?
Thanks for your help.

David
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

Take a deep breath....I know the level of frustration you are experiencing (and I can tell you from my own experience) it's going to be ok. (We'll work this thing out.)

I was able to find 4 uploads of a file which is Chapter 21. (This one checked in at 89 dB). It had a length of 13:54. The basic problem appears to be in the file name. I think it's yours, but I haven't heard you enough to know for sure, and we don't have anyone else signed up to read this section.

The file name I got was full of capital letters, extra works, commas, and I think an apostrophe. That would've caused it to fail the checker. (Click on the validation tab to find out exactly what the problem with the file is....)

The file name I have looks like this: Well_at_the_WorldâAos_End,_4,_21

Here's what the file name should look like (from the first post on the board)

wellworldsendbook4_##_morris_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wellworldsendbook4_01_morris_128kb.mp3) In this case the file name would be

wellworldsendbook4_21_morris_128kb.mp3

Always check the first post on the board, because the sample file name will be there. (Something that I do to minimze my tendency for typos is I copy and past the file name (everything to the left of .mp3) that way all I have to do is edit the section number. (The .mp3 is added automatically when you export the file).

The checker didn't find anything else wrong with the file. (I realize in this case you couldn't--but for future reference, always post the file length when you post the file link to the board--we need it for cataloging. purposes).

I'm going to PL it now...probably take 30 minutes or so... If the file name is the only thing wrong, I'll clear it up and re upload it and mark it PL-OK. If there are other corrections--you can correct the file and re upload with the correct file name and new duration.

I'm sorry this has been so frustrating (and I entirely understand why) but I think you're well on your way.

Hang in there,

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

Thanks, Philip,
That explains a lot—didn't realize file name was so tetchy.—Yes, that's mine. (I did make another at 89.0 exactly, thinking that might have been the problem). If you can make it work, that's great, and I'll start tomorrow on the other chapters. I'll be more careful to make sure I find and follow all the directions from now on. I'd welcome any advice or criticism you may have my reading, as well.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

I haven't started just yet, but I'm glad to know you got a file smack in the middle of the acceptable range :clap: and I'm glad to know this file is yours. :clap: :clap:

You will find as you work your way through here, that way you learn is the way this just happened...something doesn't go just right and you have to find an explanation. Everyone I've run into here has been patient enough with me to explain things and I've learned from them. Last time that happened to me--yesterday--true story.

Ok, now I'm going to put my ears on. Back shortly

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

A very nice first reading. Congratulations! The reading was very clear without background noise at all. There is, however one correction:

At 9:23 in the phrase "and hereafter...at upmeads" there is a loud clicking noise. The entire phrase should be re-recorded. (Open a new audacity window, record the phrase, highlight the vocal track, copy it (I use ctrl-c) go to original file--highlight the defective phrase at 9:23--past correction over old phrase--I use ctrl-v)

Go back and re-listen to the second to be sure the correction took hold, re-save the file and re-upload it to librivox.

(That may be more instruction than you need, and if it is, I'm sorry for wasting your time).

Excellently done.

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

Philip—
No such thing as too much instruction in my case. Thanks, I'll get right on it.

David
deakle

Post by deakle »

Philip—I've made the correction (plus one other—I noticed that "worthy," came out sounding like like "woothy" in the phrase, "...seeking his own with the help of worthy champions." in my first upload). But I can't seem to upload it with the file name you've given. (get message,"acceptfileTypes").
If I've uploaded it five times, I'm sorry—but I got no sign it was uploaded at all.

We will get there, I'm sure, but I'm going to bed now.

David
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

I don't have an answer for that one. Let me go and get some help.

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

...and here's 22

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wellworldsendbook4_22_morris_128kb.mp3

Hope these are good. I've enjoyed making the recordings, in spite of the difficulties.

I'll do 23 tomorrow.

David
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, David for Section 22. I need the file length for cataloging purposes, though. I'll get it PL'd shortly.

(I've asked an MC for help with your Section 21 problem. What did the checker tell you when you ran it through this time?)

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

RE: Section 21. One thing I hadn't thought about (because, frankly, we're not supposed to do it except in extreme circumstances (and we may be there).

Go to the Magic Window for Section 21. Right click on the link (its tagged "listen") A menu should come up asking you to save the link...put it on your computer where you can find it. Open the resulting file in Audacity, make your changes to that file, export to mp3, and re upload. That should clear whatever hurdle we're dealing with ....I hope.

Your Section 22 passed all the techs (and it got here in one effort). Progress! :clap:

I'll listen to Section 22 in a little while.

Many thanks,

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

Hi Philip—Here's chapter 21, revised; file size 12.7 MiB

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/wellworldsendbook4_21_morris_128kb.mp3

It gave me no problem this morning. I've no idea what I was doing wrong last night, but checker passed it, and it uploaded with no with no problems today.
If my note to 22 seemed curt, it's because I actually uploaded 21 first and sent it with a note that 22 (10.6 MiB, by the way—I assume this is what you mean by file length—) would follow but I think I failed to press "submit," because I don't see that message on the board and I couldn't find it anywhere else. So here it is finally.

Sorry for all the confusion. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of things.
And thanks again for your help.

David