COMPLETE [GRP] Well at the World's End: Book 4 by William Morris -dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Kristin:

Section 19 is in the MW and ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

I can do 21 next.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

George:

On behalf of Kristin, thanks for Section 18. I have added your claim for section 21 to the MW. I'll PL this sometime today.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Chapter 18 is PL-OK! Nicely done!

Many thanks,

Philip
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Thanks, guys, been gone on a festival:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
gallen87

Post by gallen87 »

Oh my goodness, sorry to keep doing this, but I won't be able to do my section any time soon. Just one thing after another around here.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

gallen87 wrote: June 27th, 2018, 2:16 pm Oh my goodness, sorry to keep doing this, but I won't be able to do my section any time soon. Just one thing after another around here.
That's fine:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
deakle

Post by deakle »

I would like to read section 21: Talk Between Those Two Brethren. I'm new here and just submitted my test recording a few minutes ago.

Thanks, deakle (David Eakle {rhymes with freckle})
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

First of all, on behalf of all of us here at Librivox--Welcome to Librivox! Secondly, on behalf of our Book Coordinator, Kristin, Welcome to the Project!

Let me point you toward some useful information/utilities for new readers.

The first is the Newbie guide to recording located here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

The second is a link to a page where you can download the Checker (it is MAC compatible) software to check each of your uploads to see if it meets tech specs:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Thirdly, I listened to your 1 minute test

There is one technical issue that needs correcting before you can be cleared to record. Your amplification is too loud (101.8 dB). The acceptable range here at Librivox is from 86.5 dB to 92 dB--with a general target around 89dB. It is easily fixable in Audacity. (1) Highlight your vocal track (all of it) (2) Go to the effects menu and click on "Amplification" In the box that appears, type in -12.8 then click ok. When the effect has finished running, re-export your file as MP3 and post the link again on the board where you did previously. If you will post it here too, I will see it and can expedite the process.

I'll be sure that Kristin holds the file for a few days to give you time to complete your 1 minute test.

Welcome, again and many thanks,

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_deakle.mp3
Thanks for your help. Here's my second attempt. I made a new one rather than try to fix the first, I hope it's OK. I'm afraid this one may be too quiet, but I can't seem to a level that keeps it within bounds otherwise.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

This one checked in at 73.6 dB. However, it is fixable to get within range using the amplification effect as described above. The reading is otherwise fine. You have an excellent voice, clear and easy to understand.

Many thanks,

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

Well, I have managed to submit an acceptable test. I'd like to go ahead and record chapter 21, and if that goes well, I'm up for doing 22 and 23 as well. I am having a bit of difficulty, though. I’ve made a couple of attempts to record it already, and in spite of the success I had with the test, I can't find a way to keep (or put) my recording in the proper range. When checker tells me the Db level is too low, it won’t allow me to amplify unless I lick “allow clipping" which invariably causes a LOT of clipping. Does this mean I just have to modify my vocal range, or is there a better fix for this?
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

David:

Your last 1 minute test was great. You are cleared to read. (I do have to get an MC to give you the final ok, but I can go ahead and assign you Section 21 for you to begin reading). One thing I do need to know--do you want to use your user name (deakle), your real name, or a pseudonym for your catalog name (the one that non-librivox users see when they download the recordings. I cannot add you to the catalog unless I know that--its how the system is set up.

As for your amplification issues.....

(1) There are a number of helpful tutorials and videos on that and other audacity issues

Here is the link to the tutorials:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_Tutorials

Here is the link to the videos (the brilliant Phil Chenevert has done fantastic work on most of these):

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

(2) What I do....(but please bear in mind...I am not an expert, nor am I an audio engineer, nor to I play one on TV)

Among other things I run on a recently completed file are (1) an Equalization (which tends to increase the amplification, and (2) a Compression (which tends to decrease amplification. (3) I then run it through "replay gain) which tells you how close to 89dB you are. (There are two functions here --1 is Analyze and the other is Normalize. I run the analyze first. I generally then adjust my amplification using the amplification effect. (In my set up, I know from experience that the correction that replay gain gives me still needs to be amplified by +.7 but your set up will be different.)

That usually produces a file which Checks to between 88.9 and 89.1 db (for me).

But I didn't come to this situation "overnight" and I still adjust my Audacity settings from time to time. Trial and error is a good way...although it does require patience.

One more thing...do you want to be assigned all three sections now? Or do you want to do the first one and see how it goes. I ask because this project is nearly completion, and there are some readers who like to come in and "finish up." I'm holding Section 21 for you still.

Many thanks,

Philip
deakle

Post by deakle »

Thanks Philip—I'll assume I can figure out sooner or later how make a decent recording, and go ahead and commit to 22 and 23. My technical expertise is non-existent—truth to tell I have hard time just navigating this site—and this is completely new to me, but I’ll keep working on it. I am using minimal (probably deplorable) equipment—a 2011 vintage MacBook Pro with only the built-in speaker and mic. I’ll try to acquire something a bit more reliable as I go on, but this is what I'm stuck with for now.