~[MUSIC]J.S. Bach, Volume 2 by A. Schweitzer d1965-mtf

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

J.S. Bach, Volume 2 by Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965). Translated by Ernest Newman (1868 - 1959)

Volunteers outside the USA: Albert Schweitzer died in 1965. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. Link to list of Copyright by Country.
The second volume of an extensive biography of J.S. Bach, the king of Baroque composers.
Summary by Mozartjr

November 6, 2018 - Abandoned. Carteki disappeared from the forum, and MightyFelix tried to carry it on, but it's a very complicated project. Removed myself as MC. Files in ~abandoned/jsbach2
September 28, 2021 - Revived with Mozartjr as BC and mightyfelix as MC.

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/jsbach00widogoog
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

*A NOTE TO THE READERS: The readers of a section do not have to sing the music for that section.*

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of J.S. Bach, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "J.S. Bach, Volume 2, by Albert Schweitzer. Translated by Ernest Newman. [Chapter Title ... Continued if not part 1]"

Music in Text Please leave a gap (3-5 seconds) where there is music in the text so that the editor can easily find where to insert these pieces.
    Footnotes Please read the instructions here.
    END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter and part]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of J.S. Bach, Volume 2, by Albert Schweitzer. Translated by Ernest Newman."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    jsbach2_##_schweitzer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the Section number (e.g. jsbachvolume2_19_schweitzer_128kb.mp3)

For the music and singing files
    Singers: I've created sound files for each singing part. Please be sure to match the tempo in these by listening to them with headphones while recording, if at all possible.
    Save as separate files with the [page number][a,b,c ... being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. pieces] and upload as a flac or mp3 file.
    jsbach2_##x_schweitzer.flac (all lower-case) where ## is the page number and x is the letter showing which score (1st, 2nd, 3rd) on the page (e.g. jsbach2_84b_schweitzer.flac)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

MC: mightyfelix
BC: Mozartjr
Editor: Coldfire2112

Any questions?

Please post below
Last edited by Mozartjr on November 9th, 2021, 11:54 am, edited 20 times in total.
carteki

Post by carteki »

JorWat wrote:
barbara2 wrote:If JorWat can easily simulate the appropriate instrument, I think that would be very appropriate. I'm impressed.

Has he decided how to label each piece? I had been thinking by page number and then by order of occurrence on that page - e.g. 96 (2). I would be interested in his (and your) ideas on that.

Best,

Barbara
Hi Barbara,

Here's what I'm thinking. If it's obvious what instrument is supposed to be used (i.e. it's specifically mentioned in the text [e.g. extract 3 on page 75], or labelled on the sheet music [e.g. extract 1 on page 77]), I'll try to use that one, otherwise, I'll use piano. And also, anywhere where it is just a rhythm (e.g. page 47) I will just use middle C on piano to demonstrate it.

My naming scheme is such that 'p70b' is the second piece of music on page 70, for example.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Just your friendly conductor JorWat reporting for duty!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

OK then Kim and our friendly conductor. Here is the spreadsheet so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GjjLSqs7o-7Vg_IHQpV-wXdUOsv9r1kq45Co7RXTq9Q/edit#gid=0

All input welcome,

Best,

Barbara
carteki

Post by carteki »

Cool. Thank you.
Can you also split out the singing parts so that those can be done separately as well.
The MW would have up to 3 lines for each chapter.
I would like to suggest that the music is uploaded in zip files corresponding to the sections. I'll include this in the project instructions.
Barbara, Are you going to do the editing or do we need to advertise for one too?
Kim
carteki

Post by carteki »

First post edited and up. Now just waiting on an admin to "pick us up!"
Kim
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

carteki wrote:Cool. Thank you.
Can you also split out the singing parts so that those can be done separately as well.
Done. There are only 2 so far and they have their own column - "Vocal". I'll distinguish the voices by "M" and "F".
The MW would have up to 3 lines for each chapter.
4 lines for one of the chapters so far!

I would like to suggest that the music is uploaded in zip files corresponding to the sections. I'll include this in the project instructions.
Barbara, Are you going to do the editing or do we need to advertise for one too?
Kim
Kim, do you mean am I going to do the pasting in of JorWat's music files? That's what I had in mind.

Best,

Barbara
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Quick question, do you want me to produce piano recordings for the vocal parts?
Jordan

barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

The book was published in 1911. I have investigated - not only did the author live into his 90s, so did the translator!

I'm afraid that The Rule of the Shorter Term applies in Australia only for "Published Editions". Though I don't know what "published editions" means, it probably means that I'm excluded from recording this volume.

Presumably the contributors to Vol. 1 were OK geographically. I just never thought about it. So sorry to take up people's time.

I hope Jorwat's hard work is not wasted.

Best,

Barbara
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I did read the act with great care and reached the conclusion that the rule of shorter term does apply in Australia - except in so many cases that I am never comfortable that it does.
The book was certainly available in Australia - we had it at home. Schweitzer is not PD in the EU I would think - it fact probably only the USA,
Anne
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

barbara2 wrote:The book was published in 1911. I have investigated - not only did the author live into his 90s, so did the translator!

I'm afraid that The Rule of the Shorter Term applies in Australia only for "Published Editions". Though I don't know what "published editions" means, it probably means that I'm excluded from recording this volume.

Presumably the contributors to Vol. 1 were OK geographically. I just never thought about it. So sorry to take up people's time.

I hope Jorwat's hard work is not wasted.

Best,

Barbara
Yeah... I'm in Europe...

I guess that means I should stop working on this.

It's irritating, as I assume the sheet music itself is in the public domain.
Jordan

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes it is , so you should be OK - but I'll seek other advice - my qualifcations in international copyright law are not great (actually non existent)

Anne
carteki

Post by carteki »

annise wrote:I did read the act with great care and reached the conclusion that the rule of shorter term does apply in Australia - except in so many cases that I am never comfortable that it does.
The book was certainly available in Australia - we had it at home. Schweitzer is not PD in the EU I would think - it fact probably only the USA, even Canada and NZ are out

Anne
Anne, why is Canada out? 1965+50=2016 and we're in 2017 ...

So from what I can see the "Rule of Shorter Term" means that if a book is published in a different location - say the US - and their copyright timeframes are shorter than those for Australia then those apply. It doesn't say where the book was published, but it is a European based publisher who is still in business so my guess is that it is off the list for Australians too.
JorWat wrote:Yeah... I'm in Europe...

I guess that means I should stop working on this.

It's irritating, as I assume the sheet music itself is in the public domain.
Sorry - I also assumed "Bach ... ergo MUST BE PD!"

My thinking is to give the project - as great as it sounds a miss and let a US based person pick it up.

Anne could you update the Multiple volume thread with the pd info on this, unless you disagree with me on the Australian option and Barbara can still work on it.

Anon.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes I was wrong with Canada and NZ, I checked the first volume but of course that was 2010 - perhaps you all can migrate. I've asked others about the music , but they are mainly asleep.

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

carteki wrote:[
Anne could you update the Multiple volume thread with the pd info on this.

I think that's a good idea.

Best,

Barbara

I must be missing something because it seems to me Vol. 1 couldn't have been PD in the US in 2010?