~[MUSIC]J.S. Bach, Volume 2 by A. Schweitzer d1965-mtf

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

kathrinee wrote: June 25th, 2018, 2:56 pm I'd like to read sections 32 and 35 (the chapter about Magnificat and St. John Passion). Thanks :)
I've assigned that to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, so everyone knows, all claims should be up to date in the MW. I've also orphaned some sections that had been claimed by readers who haven't been around since 2017. I've contacted Lillis as well. She's still working on her sections, and I have no problem allowing her an extension. It's great to see a renewed interest in this project! I guess I will need to get on the ball and get the remaining chapters into the MW! :lol:
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Here is section 32 -- chapter 26 part 1 (24:00)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jsbach2_32_schweitzer_128kb.mp3

I did my best with the German but I am woefully reminded that I don't speak the language... Please let me know if you'd like to to edit and/or re-record anything.

Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

And section 35 (chapter 26 part 2) (19:42)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jsbach2_35_schweitzer_128kb.mp3

I was in doubt whether to leave in the footnote on page 178 (2:20-2:55) -- I haven't edited it out yet, but I am kind of in favour of eliminating it. Thoughts?

Please let me know it anything is amiss :thumbs:
Kathrine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I will advertise for a PL for this one. To be honest with you, I've already taken on a larger role for this project than I initially anticipated, and I'd really rather not end up as DPL as well. I will take a look at the footnote, though, hopefully tonight.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

kathrinee wrote: June 30th, 2018, 10:51 am And section 35 (chapter 26 part 2) (19:42)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jsbach2_35_schweitzer_128kb.mp3

I was in doubt whether to leave in the footnote on page 178 (2:20-2:55) -- I haven't edited it out yet, but I am kind of in favour of eliminating it. Thoughts?

Please let me know it anything is amiss :thumbs:
I've marked your sections ready for PL and I've just posted in Listeners Wanted, so hopefully we'll get a nibble.

Hm, I wouldn't have been heartbroken if you'd left that footnote out, but then it sounded alright to me, and may be enlightening to some listeners. Since it's already in there, I'd say we can leave it alone.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've added the final sections for readers in the MW. I'll still need to go through those chapters more carefully later and add music parts, but the MW is (finally) finished as far as readers are concerned.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

mightyfelix wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 8:25 am I've marked your sections ready for PL and I've just posted in Listeners Wanted, so hopefully we'll get a nibble.

Hm, I wouldn't have been heartbroken if you'd left that footnote out, but then it sounded alright to me, and may be enlightening to some listeners. Since it's already in there, I'd say we can leave it alone.
Ok, thank you!
Kathrine
linny

Post by linny »

I’m a little confused. I stared PLing section 32. I got up to 6:30 and found that the music hasn’t been inserted yet. Am I listening to the correct version? Shouldn’t it be complete before PL so everything doesn’t need to be spot checked?

The only correction I have so far is that the intro is missing “part 1”.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

linny wrote: July 12th, 2018, 10:37 am I’m a little confused. I stared PLing section 32. I got up to 6:30 and found that the music hasn’t been inserted yet. Am I listening to the correct version? Shouldn’t it be complete before PL so everything doesn’t need to be spot checked?

The only correction I have so far is that the intro is missing “part 1”.
You're right, the music isn't yet available to insert. Even so, I'd like the chapters PL'd as soon as possible after they're submitted. I know you've had experience with certain long-running projects, especially dramatic, not being PL'd in a timely manner, and then, a year later, someone discovers errors or missing bits, and the reader has disappeared. That's what I want to avoid here. Yes, it will mean a spot PL later on, but I will be sure to provide time stamps and page numbers when that time comes, to make it as painless as possible.

I appreciate your jumping in here more than I can say! This is a complex project, far more than I realized when I became the de facto BC.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Devorah. I spent some time looking at the MW and finally figured it out. I originally just glanced down to where a section needed to be PLed. I’m not sure where you intend to put the final edited sections but realized that Kathrine’s reading was similar to that of ‘narrator’. Have you considered moving this project to dramatics? You might have an easier time finding readers, especially for the singing pieces.

Anyway, all that said...

Section 32 only has the one Pl note that ‘part 1’ is missing from the intro. It is included at the ending so hopefully just a copy paste should clear it up.

Good luck with the project. It is indeed complex but seems extremely interesting. I can’t DPL but I’ll check in on you from time to time until a DPL comes along.

EDIT: The MW still has a DPL listed so that was confusing as well, but then again theses days I’m easily confused. :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

linny wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:10 am The MW still has a DPL listed so that was confusing as well, but then again theses days I’m easily confused. :wink:
Yes, that's true. It's because we had a DPL who then disappeared off the boards. I guess he was never officially removed from that role.

This book is somewhat similar to a dramatic work, in that various parts by different volunteers will end up being cut together to form the finished piece. But I don't feel that putting it in dramatic works would really fit. There's no acting at all. And we have had, as you may have noticed, a few singers already. I don't know how many of the volunteers who tend to participate in dramatic works would be comfortable with this kind of classical choral music. I'm a member of a choir myself, though, and I figure that if we're still struggling to find singers when most everything else is done, I can ask for volunteers from that bunch. Maybe get a few of them into recording other things for LV, too. :wink:

Really, I guess section 32 is actually just waiting on me, now, since I'm the one who'll be creating the music files and pasting them in.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mightyfelix wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:38 am
linny wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:10 am The MW still has a DPL listed so that was confusing as well, but then again theses days I’m easily confused. :wink:
Yes, that's true. It's because we had a DPL who then disappeared off the boards. I guess he was never officially removed from that role.
I guess that means I should officially remove him from the role? :lol: Done!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks! :thumbs:
retzel

Post by retzel »

Hi!! I would love to record some singing clips, but I have a couple of questions before I decide which ones I'd like to do.

One is whether you mind whether a biological female or male sings the sections marked "female" and "male" in the MW. I usually sing alto, but would be comfortable with many sections marked both female and male. Do you have a strong preference?

As for recording the singing clips, would you like the normal intro and "recorded by" parts? It seems a little excessive for such short segments, but how else would you attribute the music recordings to the volunteers?

Thanks a bunch!
Rowan
they/them/theirs
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzq74klHuclGomB1P8ZxyiA?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I really only marked them that way according to whether the notation was given on a treble or bass clef, although I realize that either can be sung by either gender. If you're confident that the piece is in your range, then I'm fine with that.

No intro will be necessary. The sung portions will be inserted into the narrated chapter, and the reader of each chapter will do the intro. As for attribution, to be honest, I hadn't thought of it. I don't think it would make sense to insert a voice credit into the recording itself, and the singers who've already participated didn't record one. I'm thinking we'll include a list in the book description, something like, "Vocal performances provided by..." and then a list of all the singers, linking to their reader pages.