~[MUSIC]J.S. Bach, Volume 2 by A. Schweitzer d1965-mtf

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

carteki wrote:Anne could you update the Multiple volume thread with the pd info on this.
I think that's a good idea.
I did so.
I must be missing something because it seems to me Vol. 1 couldn't have been PD in the US in 2010?
PD in the US goes by publishing date; has nothing to do with author/translator death date. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This sounds really neat, and I'd be interested in the singing bits. I'm in the US, so no problem here on my end. But all I know or do musically is voice, and I'm not even a great sight reader, so I wouldn't be much help otherwise. I guess if this ever gets off the ground again, give me a shout?

EDIT: Never mind! See below. :)
Last edited by mightyfelix on August 18th, 2017, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Checking in as co-BC and editor. Looks like we're ready to go after all!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm getting pretty excited about this! I already have the first four bits of music done, actually. Hoping we get picked up soon.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm willing to MC this, but want to be sure of my responsibility. I'm just doing the regular old MC stuff (cataloging it), right? Everything else is worked out? :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote:I'm willing to MC this, but want to be sure of my responsibility. I'm just doing the regular old MC stuff (cataloging it), right? Everything else is worked out? :)
I believe so, yes. I'm doing the music and editing. I believe (?) Kim is/has worked out how the chapters will be broken down. I don't yet have a list of what singing parts will be needed, but I'll work on that.

Reading over the first few posts on this topic (before PD issues came up), I notice that some other questions came up, such as naming of the musical bits. I've been using a ##-# format, where the first two digits are the page number and the last one is which score on the page. For instance, page 54 has three musical excerpts, so I have them numbered 54-1, 54-2, and 54-3.

Jordan had asked (again, before PD questions intruded, obviously), whether or not to produce piano recordings of the vocal parts for our singers to listen to. I have the same question, and I'm actually in favor of doing so. Even if our singers are skilled musicians, it's always helpful to hear what you will need to sing.

Kim, you said something early on in the thread about submitting music as zip files. Could you explain more about that? Why not just submit them as flac, or even mp3, like DR parts are submitted? Or maybe I misunderstood you.

I have been playing with the MuseScore program (and thanks again for sharing that, Kim, it's really cool!), and I have learned how to change the type of instrument. So if the text specifies what kind of instrument is used, I'll use that. Otherwise, I'll use piano. For the rhythms, I'll use a wood block (percussion).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

FYI, there were no keywords in volume 1 besides the default "LibriVox" and "Audiobook": https://archive.org/details/jsbach_volume1_1310_librivox so feel free to provide some before we go to catalog. :)
carteki

Post by carteki »

I've updated the MW. Please take a look and see if we need to add anything (I think a couple of the singing parts are missing).

You should also have access to updating the MW etc. If you've never done so before Tricia will need to send you a link with your password and there are some instructions, but it's pretty basic.

Filenames - I guess its pretty much up to you. The "zip file version" was how JorWat would've put it together. A single .flac file with spaces between the pieces also works. We can easily record 1 file per line in the mw. Can do more, but that is just way too complicated and I'd like people (if there are others) to sign up to do more than just one piece at a time, but rather a section.

If you're happy to do the piano parts for the singers that's great. Those would be saved under the "singing" line though on the MW.

All sounds good. Now lets see if we get some readers ...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, so I was looking through the book to see if any singing parts were missed, and I found one in chapter 24. Then I went to put it into the MW and realized that it ends at 23, although the book appears to go through chapter 35.

Were you using this spreadsheet for your section breaks?
barbara2 wrote:OK then Kim and our friendly conductor. Here is the spreadsheet so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GjjLSqs7o-7Vg_IHQpV-wXdUOsv9r1kq45Co7RXTq9Q/edit#gid=0

All input welcome,

Best,

Barbara
Because if so, I wonder if you overlooked the "so far"?

If you like, I'm happy to continue with finding section breaks in some of the remaining chapters. In the meantime, I will upload piano parts for the two singing bits we have thus far.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright, I have those two recordings uploaded, and now the MW is giving me headaches. I know that you can add links in the notes field, because I've seen it done. But when I enter the HTML, it isn't showing up with a link.

Here and here is what I was trying to do.

:help:

I've left my attempt unaltered in the MW so someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're using BBCode (forum formatting) rather than html. Use this:

<a href="">here</a>

(the link between the two quote marks)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote:You're using BBCode (forum formatting) rather than html. Use this:

<a href="">here</a>

(the link between the two quote marks)
Ah, thank you. You know, the funny thing is, I used to know some HTML, and even thought I remembered some, but I never even realized that that isn't what we use in forum posts. So I guess I don't remember it as well as I thought! :oops:

All fixed!
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thanks Devorah.
If you could complete the MW that would be great!!
Also, please "claim" the music bits that you're working on so that if we find others who're interested in capturing the music can know what is still available.
I know there are some musically inclined readers among us, so hoping we get some volunteers shortly!
Cheers
LizardD

Post by LizardD »

Once the MW is finished, I can claim some parts. I can do music, singing, and reading. I mostly sing alto, but I can do soprano in a pinch.
Elizabeth Davis
a.k.a. "Lizard the Wizard"

Musician, vocalist, writer, reader, amateur chef, nerd, and all-around fun person.