COMPLETE [S. F. Group] Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rrobinson84

Post by rrobinson84 »

Hi folks,

I just searched for "Flatland" and saw you have it as a work in progress.

This is one of the top 10 books of literature for me of all time. Like most devotees, I was introduced to it by my math teacher (7th or 8th grade), and I've probably read it thru 20 or 30 times since then. I often reference quirky sections of this book, and am still impressed by the mind that came up with it, and the possibilities it indicates of dimensions beyond our own even here in Spaceland!

Not to mention the hilarious satirical commentary it offers regarding the role of women in society, how Government functions, the treatment of the military and those "less Equilateral" than others. It's a real gem!

If there is anything I can do to help this work progress to completion, please let me know. I've just started reading for LibriVox (about 8 or 9 submittals so far), but I'd be happy to contribute in any other way since it looks like you have each reading section already assigned.

Best of luck. This is a fantastic book!!!
Robert Robinson
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

rrobinson84 wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 2:16 pm Hi folks,

I just searched for "Flatland" and saw you have it as a work in progress.

This is one of the top 10 books of literature for me of all time. Like most devotees, I was introduced to it by my math teacher (7th or 8th grade), and I've probably read it thru 20 or 30 times since then. I often reference quirky sections of this book, and am still impressed by the mind that came up with it, and the possibilities it indicates of dimensions beyond our own even here in Spaceland!

Not to mention the hilarious satirical commentary it offers regarding the role of women in society, how Government functions, the treatment of the military and those "less Equilateral" than others. It's a real gem!

If there is anything I can do to help this work progress to completion, please let me know. I've just started reading for LibriVox (about 8 or 9 submittals so far), but I'd be happy to contribute in any other way since it looks like you have each reading section already assigned.

Best of luck. This is a fantastic book!!!
Hi! Thanks for your comment! I agree with you, that this is a wonderful piece of literature! This is a solo project, but if anything happens, and we need someone else to contribute to the narrations, I will let you know. If there’s any other way that you could get involved, I will also contact you with a private message. Please let me know, also, if you have any questions about LV, or the recording process. I’ll be happy to help you out, as well!
From the 4th dimension,
Linda
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
rrobinson84

Post by rrobinson84 »

Thanks, Linda! I'll be hovering just above Flatland waiting to intersect the plane if needed!!!
Robert Robinson
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Hahahaha! You really know Flatland well! :D

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Linda, are you still with us? It's been awhile, is everything okay?
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Hi Dave! I’m still here, just busy with work. Do you think we should put the project on hold, or open it for group recordings?

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

This Solo has been opened up as a Group Project.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Hello. I love this book and would love to take a section of it. This would be my very first recording, so maybe just one to start. Can I try my hand (voice) at Chp 14?
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Welcome to Librivox aaronwhite1977, please follow all the directions in the opening post and have fun with your first reading. :D

*Please let me know under what name would you like to appear in the LV catalog and if you have one, we can put your personal URL link on your catalog page too.
You can view your brand new LV Catalog page by clicking your forum name in the Magic Window.
David Lawrence

aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Thanks! Okay - I think I've done it. It was a lot of fun. But more work than I first thought it would be. The link for Section 14 is

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/flatland_14_abbott_128kb.mp3

If it looks good, I'd be glad to take another section!

Oh - and it can be just my normal name: "Aaron White" My website could just be my facebook - https://www.facebook.com/aaron.white.313

Thanks!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

To MC: Volume is 86dB. Acceptable but at the lowest end of the range desired (86-92dB). Clipping prevents amplification.
As per the instructions on the first page the shorter intro is used.
To Reader: At outro you say "end of section 4" not 14. This should be ocrrected.
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Thanks for that catch!

Here is the corrected file. https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/flatland_14_abbott_128kb.mp3

I noticed about the amplification. Is there anything I can do to prevent this next time?
Thanks
Aaron
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

14 PL OK.

Dynamic readings can sometimes lead to this problem. While it is better to not have clipping issues the following video shows you how to deal with them in Audacity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

David - I'd love to take another chapter if that's okay with you. Maybe Section 15?
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thanks Aaron, you are down for section 15.
David Lawrence