COMPLETE[GROUP]Abe and Mawruss by Montague Glass - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

There are two ways that I use:
1. Use the instructions below to install the plugin ReplayGain into Audacity.
- Click this link,
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4685
and save the file to your computer - somewhere you can find it.
- Then go to the folder in which Audacity is installed (on my computer, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity) and open the Plug-Ins folder.
- Drag or copy the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
- The next time you start up Audacity go to Effect/ReplayGain* and it'll tell you how much you can amplify your file. If you highlight part of the file it will tell you how much you can amplify just that part of the file. It does not give you the exact dB of the file but it can be inferred from how much it tells you to amplify.
*If you do not see the plugin (near the bottom of the Effect dropdown menu), then at the very top of the Effect menu click on Add/Remove Plugins. You may need to "enable" the plugin. Once enabled restart Audacity and look for the plugin in the Effect dropdown menu.

2. Another useful program is Mp3Gain. It gives you actual dB levels for the audio file and it can also analyze multiple files (e.g. an entire book). It is a separate program independent from Audacity and is available free at the following link:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php
You should amplify using Audacity not Mp3Gain though.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I will try both of those options. My computer doesn't work very well (considering the screen is completely detached, it runs Windows XP and the neither the keyboard or mouse works) but I think I can figure it out. Thank you for that great advice.

I see that my recording is listed, but it say for me to "see PL notes", what are the PL notes?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

9 PL OK.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Edmonds wrote: February 18th, 2018, 3:40 pm I see that my recording is listed, but it say for me to "see PL notes", what are the PL notes?
Volume is a tad above (92.2dB) the recommended volume range (86-92dB).
Bitrate should be constant and 128kbps.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I will edit that and get you the link right away.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Edmonds wrote: February 20th, 2018, 11:32 am I will edit that and get you the link right away.
Upload the corrected file using the same name as the original file. The earlier file on our server will be renamed and saved in case it is later needed (i.e. the newly uploaded file will replace the earlier file).
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I will do that.

I have tried uploading the file twice now, and every time I get this: "SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0". What would be the problem?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

We will have to wait until Todd (the MC for the book) reads your message and can respond. The only file on the server at present is the original file.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

craigdav1 wrote: February 20th, 2018, 11:09 am9 PL OK.
Like a Thanksgiving dinner. Cook all day and all night aaaand it's gone. :lol:
Thanks!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

:D :D :D

I got my upload to work. Here is the edited file: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/abeandmawruss_12_glass.mp3
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The bitrate and volume are correct but the file is in stereo. Here is a video showing (on an older version of Audacity) how to set your exporting of mp3 files to mono.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmCOxOs_pM
Feel free to ask questions if you have any problems.
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

12 PL OK! :clap:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both for the section and for the PL/fix suggestions!

Todd