COMPLETE A Book of Scoundrels by Charles Whibley-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GregLn

Post by GregLn »

A Book of Scoundrels by Charles Whibley (1850 - 1930).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-book-of-scoundrels-by-charles-whibley/

An ironic history of notorious criminals, mostly British and pre-Victorian. Here we meet Moll Cutpurse the Queen of thieves, Jonathan Wild the Thief-taker General, Captain Hind the gallant highwayman and many others. The book begins with an essay on the artistic achievements of thievery followed by a sequence of short biographies. ( Greg Lewin)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1632
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of A Book of Scoundrels. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Book of Scoundrels, by Charles Whibley. Section [number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of A Book of Scoundrels by Charles Whibley. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Book of Scoundrels, by Charles Whibley. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename scoundrels_##_whibley_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. scoundrels_01_charles_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by GregLn on November 30th, 2017, 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Greg,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get things set up and then come back with a few instructions.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK Greg, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

We won't worry about a DPL just yet - folks often see new projects and volunteer to listen before anything is posted. If no one sees this, we will advertise once you have a section or two ready to listen to.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And,
For the preface, you can read the introduction/disclaimer as "Preface" rather than "Section 0".
MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

:D May I be your DPL?
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Welcome Helen! I've added you to the MW.
MaryAnn
GregLn

Post by GregLn »

Hello Mary Ann and Helen,

Thank you both very much for volunteering!

I have already recorded several sections to test my stamina so there should be something to listen to quite soon.

Mary Ann, the introduction is quite long - almost 10,000 words - and about 20% of the book's length. I had reckoned on doing this in two sections. Is it ok to alter the mw to reflect this?

Many thanks,

Greg
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Splitting the intro would be fine Greg. I've added a section up top. You can add sections yourself as you go through the project . . . when you are behind the scenes in the MW, you will see a button to "add a section". They always add at the bottom. The MW sections can then be rearranged by clicking and dropping the sections in the order you want them.

MaryAnn
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

TY Mary Ann & Greg,

I am looking forward to this project, sounds interesting. :thumbs:
Helen

Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
GregLn

Post by GregLn »

Hi Mary Ann,

I've added in the section titles. There is one section too many now - are you able to delete this?

I'm afraid that I got the author's name muddled in my original post. He is firstname Charles, surname Whibley.

Hopefully this can be adjusted.

Apologies,

Greg
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Greg,

I'll remove the extra section. As for the author's name, I've already fixed it behind the scenes, but I forgot to fix it in your first post (the intros and outros). You can edit that post yourself (there's an edit button in the right hand corner of your posts) or you can just be sure to read the intros and outros correctly.

MaryAnn
GregLn

Post by GregLn »

Hi Mary Ann,

I think I've sorted the author name. I've modified the file title to reflect the correct surname - will this cause a problem?

I'm just about to upload the first two files. Do I need to add mp3 metadata?

Cheers,

Greg.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Greg,
As long as you are consistent in file names, and the links in the MW match the actual file name, there's no problem. Don't worry about metadata. That is added at cataloging.

MaryAnn
GregLn

Post by GregLn »

HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

PL OK for:

sect 0 Introduction - Part 1
sect 1 Introduction - Part 2

Well read Greg. :clap:
Helen