[COMPLETE] Journal of Francis Asbury, Vol. I - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Very well done, Sondra! :clap: Section 4 is PL ok! :thumbs:

I did hear those couple of spots you mentioned, where you stopped and picked up again later. Again, this is perfectly fine and doesn't prevent your recording from being ok as-is. But since it sounded like you wanted some tips on this, I can share a couple of simple things that I do. (The first two are simpler than the third. If that one doesn't make sense right now, just ignore it!) First, I try to always put my chair and my mic in the exact same place every time I record anything. (I don't have a permanent recording space, either.) Next, I'll often back up a few sentences from where I left off the last time, so that by the time I get to the first sentence I haven't recorded yet, my voice is good and "warmed up". Finally, while editing, I'll fiddle with the volume right around the spot where I made the transition. Suppose sentence A (where I left off) is rather softer than sentence B (where I started again). I might select sentence B and make it a smidge softer, and maybe make sentence A a little louder. That way, while there are still slight differences in volume between each sentence, they're not different enough to jar the ear. This last tip, about playing with volume, is something I only started doing after I'd been recording books for 6 or 8 months or more. If you're not comfortable with that right now, just don't mess with it! :D

One last thing I'll point out, and you're not by any means required to make changes (though you can if you want). Exhort has a silent H. It's pretty much like egg-ZORT. But kind of like we're not picky about professional sound quality, we're not picky about pronunciation. I almost didn't mention it, and wouldn't have, except that he uses this word a lot! The first time I heard it, my brain thought "ex-hoarder"! :lol: So no need to change it, but you may like to keep it in mind if you come across it again. :)

Feel free to pick up another section if you enjoyed this one. I enjoyed listening.
dravon

Post by dravon »

Thanks for the great feedback! We have a guest bathroom with a tub that isn't used. I was watching Booth Junkie and he fixed a shower stall to work, so I did that except with lots of spare comforters from around the house. It's quite the sight! Stuck a barstool in there and marked the floor for the mic stand positioning. Other than being hot, it sounds pretty good. Going to test recording quality tonight, and see how that goes. *fingers crossed* If it goes well, I'll sign up for more!

I don't know enough about editing yet to play with sound levels but I'll be sure to learn it. :-)

As for the pronunciation, I'll keep that mind since he does seem to love that word. heh. I think I'll leave it for now (otherwise the recording will start sounding like a verbal ransom note), but in the future will soften that H down to silence. I did research and then practice the Greek word though. Glad to know I didn't butcher it too badly. *lol*

As always, any feedback is welcome. Helps me learn and improve. Thanks again!

- Dravon
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

dravon wrote:Thanks for the great feedback! We have a guest bathroom with a tub that isn't used. I was watching Booth Junkie and he fixed a shower stall to work, so I did that except with lots of spare comforters from around the house. It's quite the sight! Stuck a barstool in there and marked the floor for the mic stand positioning. Other than being hot, it sounds pretty good. Going to test recording quality tonight, and see how that goes. *fingers crossed* If it goes well, I'll sign up for more!

I don't know enough about editing yet to play with sound levels but I'll be sure to learn it. :-)

As for the pronunciation, I'll keep that mind since he does seem to love that word. heh. I think I'll leave it for now (otherwise the recording will start sounding like a verbal ransom note), but in the future will soften that H down to silence. I did research and then practice the Greek word though. Glad to know I didn't butcher it too badly. *lol*

As always, any feedback is welcome. Helps me learn and improve. Thanks again!

- Dravon
Lol verbal ransom note! I love it! Best of luck with your setup. I'm a little jealous, actually! I literally have a cardboard box lined with tiny pillows that my mic sits inside of.
dravon

Post by dravon »

This was me after my test:

Hopefully it'll work and not be too loud. Can I take the next section, section 5?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

dravon wrote:This was me after my test:

Hopefully it'll work and not be too loud. Can I take the next section, section 5?
Absolutely! I'll sign you up when I get home tonight. If I forget, just give me a nudge. :wink:
dravon

Post by dravon »

Section 5 is completed and posted here for review: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/journaloffrancisasbury1_05_asbury_128kb.mp3

Duration: 19:53

Date correction: It's January 25 that ends with this phrase on this page.

In listening, this is about how fast I talk but I'm thinking I should slow down. Thoughts? Do you think I'm speaking too fast? Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ooh, thank you for that correction! :thumbs:

I've entered this in the MW, but won't be able to listen tonight. I'll try to get back with you tomorrow.

In general, it's a good idea to read a little slower than your normal speech. Most of our listeners will not be following along with the text while listening, so we don't want to go too quickly and leave them behind. :wink: This is just in general, though, and remember that I say it without having listened yet. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sorry for the lack of PL this week. Things are pretty hectic right now, preparing for a trip to NY this weekend. I've downloaded section 5 to my computer, so that, if I have some time today, I can listen during the LibriVox update. (In case you haven't heard, LV will be down all day today, starting in less than two hours.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Sondra, great work again! Whatever you did to your little bathroom recording studio did the trick!

Only one small edit needed. At 2:40-2:45, there is a repeat of: "then went about two miles to preach at Mr. D's".
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Please note that there seems to be a minor glitch regarding email notifications now that the update has completed. See Tricia's post here.
dravon

Post by dravon »

Got the repeat taken care of here: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/journaloffrancisasbury1_05_asbury_128kb.mp3

I totally understand how it goes around the holiday time! No worries.

I'll go ahead and take section 6 if that's alright. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it this weekend and get that done. I think I finally have his voice, just need to have the courage to actually read aloud that way. heh
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, I've assigned you section 6. We're flying out tomorrow, so this will be the last time for a few days I'll be able to make changes in the MW, but I may pop in and post now and then.

I tried to spot PL section 5, but I can't access it now. I'm getting a 404 Not Found error. Tricia, could this be related to the uploader problem post-update? Or is it just me?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, what is the new running time, please?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It downloaded fine for me using the link in the post.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
billschaferjr

Post by billschaferjr »

Hi, Tricia
Section 0 of the Journal has been uploaded. Please access it using link: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/journaloffrancisasbury1_00_asbury_128kb.mp3
The recording is 13 minutes 39 seconds long. Please let me know if you have any corrections or suggestions. Thanks!

Bill S.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Bill. Great job! I have just a couple of notes for you.
  • At 7:49, you forgot the "End of Footnote" bit. Please add this in for extra clarity. (You can even copy/paste "End of footnote" from one of the others, if it's easier.)
  • At 13:30-13:35, there is that strange little "1*" at the bottom of the page. I understand why you read it how you did, but because this doesn't give us any real information (or actually even make much sense), just delete it.
  • Last, the volume is pretty low. I had to turn up my speakers quite a bit to hear you. According to Checker, your volume is only 78 dB, and it should be 89 (or close). One good way to check volume is explained here. This is a helpful video explaining a different method of checking your volume. One more video, here explains how to adjust your volume. I hope this helps.
Thanks again!
Last edited by mightyfelix on November 29th, 2017, 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.