COMPLETE Light Science for Leisure Hours by R. A. Proctor-ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Light Science for Leisure Hours by Richard A. Proctor (1837 - 1888).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/light-science-for-leisure-hours-by-richard-a-proctor/
In preparing these Essays, my chief object has been to present scientific truths in a light and readable form—clearly and simply, but with an exact adherence to the facts as I see them. I have followed—here and always—the rule of trying to explain my meaning precisely as I should wish others to explain, to myself, matters with which I was unfamiliar. Hence I have avoided that excessive simplicity which some seem to consider absolutely essential in scientific essays intended for general perusal, but which is often even more perplexing than a too technical style. The chief rule I have followed, in order to make my descriptions clear, has been to endeavour to make each sentence bear one meaning, and one only. Speaking as a reader, and especially as a reader of scientific books, I venture to express an earnest wish that this simple rule were never infringed, even to meet the requirements of style.

It will hardly be necessary to mention that several of the shorter Essays are rather intended to amuse than to instruct. ( the Preface)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54455
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. Footnotes: have a look at the footnotes in your section and read them if you find them interesting. if you choose to read a footnote, please mark it as such by adding "footnote: 9text), end of footnote". thank you!
    8. Abbreviations: if you encounter an abbreviation you are unfamiliar with, let us know and hopefully we can find its meaning together.
    9. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Light Science for Leisure Hours. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Light Science for Leisure Hours, by Richard A. Proctor. [Chapter title]"
        Source: at the end of each section is stated where and when the article was first published. please dont forget to read that bit at the end of your recording, too!

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Light Science for Leisure Hours, by Richard A. Proctor. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    10. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      lightscience_##_proctor_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lightscience_01_proctor_128kb.mp3)
    11. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this project is now ready to go! some light science for everyone :D

all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd like to read 30, Squaring the Circle, please, Carolin.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you peter!

somehow i thought the life expectancy of married men was going to go first :lol:
Carolin
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I'd love to DPL this, if I may :)
Kathrine
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thats great, thank you kathrine and welcome to this volume :D
Carolin
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Here's my Section 30: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/lightscience_30_proctor_128kb.mp3

(15.35)

I think maths interests me more than being married does! Besides, being a square was part of my adolescence.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you peter, that was so fast! :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Off we go to readers wanted :thumbs:
Carolin
lomeraniel

Post by lomeraniel »

I'd like to request sections 1 and 2.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi and welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to read those sections. to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. we can also link to your personal website or blog.

please also complete the one minute test before getting started :) thank you!
Carolin
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Section 30 is PL OK! :clap: We're off to a good start!
Kathrine
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you kathrine!
Carolin
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Carolin,
I would like to claim the following:
20; a Shower of Snow Crystals
21: Long Shots
24; a Ship Attacked by a Swordfish