The Deluge (vol 2) by Henryk Sienkiewicz [HIST NOVEL]-ans

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
DavidYoung

Post by DavidYoung » July 22nd, 2020, 11:27 pm

Section 44:
These are mistakes in the version on Project Guttenburg. I cross-checked the Polish and the corrected version matches the original

Scanned version:
Some men fell as if struck by lightning; others pushed themselves into their places, trampled their bodies, and forced themselves forward, as if seeking death of purpose.
Correct version:
Some men fell as if struck by lightning; others pushed themselves into their places, trampled their bodies, and forced themselves forward, as if seeking death on purpose.

Scanned version:
Evidently the storm continued there yet in full force, and judging from the feverish musketry-tire, the Swedes were not thinking of surrender.
Correct version:
Evidently the storm continued there yet in full force, and judging from the feverish musketry-fire, the Swedes were not thinking of surrender.

Scanned version:
Crowds of stormers were circling around it convulsively, not being able to enter and perishing for nothing in a cross tire; for bullets were rained on them from the Kraków gate as thickly as sand.
Correct version:
Crowds of stormers were circling around it convulsively, not being able to enter and perishing for nothing in a cross fire; for bullets were rained on them from the Kraków gate as thickly as sand.

Scanned version:
Nearly all the troops—that is, the troops of the kingdom under the hetmans, Czarniecki's division, the Lithuanians under Sapieha, and an immense crowd of general militia, together with the camp servants—assembled around his Majesty; or all were curious to see those Swedes with whom a few hours before they had fought so terribly and bloodily.
Correct version:
Nearly all the troops—that is, the troops of the kingdom under the hetmans, Czarniecki's division, the Lithuanians under Sapieha, and an immense crowd of general militia, together with the camp servants—assembled around his Majesty; for all were curious to see those Swedes with whom a few hours before they had fought so terribly and bloodily.

This line I left as it is as I do not physically have a copy of the printed original to compare it with:
The immense throng of general militia moved violently, precisely like standing grain when a hurricane is sweeping around it with giant wing.

I am assuming that the translator deliberately chose not to write 'with a giant wing'.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

Great job! :clap:

So far, Sections 39-42 are PL OK!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » July 27th, 2020, 9:32 am

Sections 43-45 are PL OK! :thumbs: