[CLASSICS] Sentimental Education by Gustave Flaubert -smijen

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » October 5th, 2018, 6:26 am

AliceH wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 11:46 am
Hi folks

I'd be interested in contributing to this one.

I'd like to start by claiming section 11. the friend of the family, and might pick up some others later depending on how I get on.

This may be my first contribution (depending on how quick another one I've signed up for goes through) and I would like to be attributed as Alice Hastie.

Thanks, Alice
Hi Alice,

It's been almost a month since you posted this, and you never got a response from smijen, so I'm going to temporarily take over as BC and assign the chapter to you myself (assuming you still want to do this).
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

smijen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6620
Joined: May 14th, 2007, 7:34 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post by smijen » January 5th, 2019, 9:14 am

Thanks for stepping in, Jordan. I'm making you the BC officially (as discussed in PM).

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to orphan this section as Alice hasn't been back since last October. :(
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.

catem
Posts: 238
Joined: October 31st, 2009, 5:02 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by catem » January 21st, 2019, 3:00 am

Hi y'all, I found this project needs picking up again and would like to try :)
I'd like to claim sections 11 and 12 if that's alright.
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/

JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 21st, 2019, 3:02 am

catem wrote:
January 21st, 2019, 3:00 am
Hi y'all, I found this project needs picking up again and would like to try :)
I'd like to claim sections 11 and 12 if that's alright.
They're all yours!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

yellowpepper
Posts: 6
Joined: January 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by yellowpepper » January 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm

Hi,

I'm a fan of this book, so I'd like to help finishing it off (once I've had feedback on my one-minute test). Could I claim Chapter 13, A Dinner and A Duel? (I'll just commit to one, for now.)

- yellowpepper

JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 22nd, 2019, 2:58 pm

yellowpepper wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm
Hi,

I'm a fan of this book, so I'd like to help finishing it off (once I've had feedback on my one-minute test). Could I claim Chapter 13, A Dinner and A Duel? (I'll just commit to one, for now.)

- yellowpepper
Hi yellowpepper,

Do you have a name or pseudonym by which you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue (it can just be yellowpepper if that's what you want). We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

yellowpepper
Posts: 6
Joined: January 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by yellowpepper » January 22nd, 2019, 3:03 pm

JorWat wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 2:58 pm
Hi yellowpepper,

Do you have a name or pseudonym by which you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue (it can just be yellowpepper if that's what you want). We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Yes, planning to use just yellowpepper as my pseudonym! Thank you.

JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 22nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

yellowpepper wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:03 pm
Yes, planning to use just yellowpepper as my pseudonym! Thank you.
No problem with that! Well, the chapter is all yours. Though wait for the response on the one minute test before you start.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 22nd, 2019, 3:06 pm

yellowpepper wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:03 pm
Yes, planning to use just yellowpepper as my pseudonym! Thank you.
No problem with that! Well, the chapter is all yours. Though wait for the response on the one minute test before you start.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

yellowpepper
Posts: 6
Joined: January 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by yellowpepper » January 22nd, 2019, 3:09 pm

JorWat wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:05 pm
No problem with that! Well, the chapter is all yours. Though wait for the response on the one minute test before you start.
Lovely, thanks! I'll keep you posted.

catem
Posts: 238
Joined: October 31st, 2009, 5:02 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by catem » January 25th, 2019, 7:08 am

I started reading Section 11 (Chapter 9) yesterday and the recording ran way over an hour...and I hadn't even finished the chapter. There were some sections I would have edited out (fumbles, repetitions, pauses etc) that would reduce the length... but it's really, really long.

Would it be possible to split this chapter into separate sections? Or how does that work in the scheme of things?

If it needs to be one looooong recording, that's fine, and I'll complete it. But I'd rather ask just in case :)
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/

JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 25th, 2019, 7:13 am

catem wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 7:08 am
I started reading Section 11 (Chapter 9) yesterday and the recording ran way over an hour...and I hadn't even finished the chapter. There were some sections I would have edited out (fumbles, repetitions, pauses etc) that would reduce the length... but it's really, really long.

Would it be possible to split this chapter into separate sections? Or how does that work in the scheme of things?

If it needs to be one looooong recording, that's fine, and I'll complete it. But I'd rather ask just in case :)
Recordings can be as long as 74 minutes. If you think it's going to be longer than that, then I guess you'll need to split it up.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

catem
Posts: 238
Joined: October 31st, 2009, 5:02 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by catem » January 25th, 2019, 7:28 am

Thanks for clarifying. I'll record it and see how long it remains after editing, and we can discuss.
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/

catem
Posts: 238
Joined: October 31st, 2009, 5:02 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Post by catem » January 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm

So there was nothing to discuss: the file ran to 84 minutes so needed to be split up :) This means the subsequent sections need their numbering updating in the magic window I guess.

Section 11 (chapter 9, part 1) is available here: https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/sentimentaleducation_11_flaubert_128kb.mp3
it is 49:17

Section 12 (chapter 9, part 2) is available here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/sentimentaleducation_12_flaubert_128kb.mp3
It is 34:05



Looking forward to feedback,
cate
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/

JorWat
Posts: 1054
Joined: February 16th, 2009, 10:20 am
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Post by JorWat » January 31st, 2019, 3:24 pm

catem wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 12:45 pm
So there was nothing to discuss: the file ran to 84 minutes so needed to be split up :) This means the subsequent sections need their numbering updating in the magic window I guess.

Section 11 (chapter 9, part 1) is available here: https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/sentimentaleducation_11_flaubert_128kb.mp3
it is 49:17

Section 12 (chapter 9, part 2) is available here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/sentimentaleducation_12_flaubert_128kb.mp3
It is 34:05



Looking forward to feedback,
cate
I think I'm going to need to go through and split some of these chapters up. This is what you get when you inherit an old solo project...

Anyway, 11 is PL OK, and 12 has one note:

3:34-3:41: Repetition of "He offered Frederick a cigarette, and began his statement".
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.

Post Reply