[COMPLETE] History of the Universe 4: Chemistry - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

The Science - History of the Universe, Volume 4, Chemistry by Francis Rolt-Wheeler (1876 - 1960).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-science-history-of-the-universe-vol-4-by-francis-rolt-wheeler/

Volunteers outside the USA: Francis Rolt-Wheeler died in 1960. The death date of William Allan Hamor is 1961. Their work is (possibly) still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
The death date of Professor Charles Baskerville is 1922, so the introduction is fair game for everyone.

Multi-volume work on science edited by Francis Rolt-Wheeler. The fourth volume is on Chemistry written by William Allan Hamor with an Introduction by Professor Charles Baskerville. It discusses the development of chemical knowledge, from the ancients to modern times. It expanded further on the early works of alchemists and into the phlogistic period. The last chapters cover atomic theories and the development of organic and inorganic chemistry. (Sienna)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here. To find a section to record, simply look at point 5 below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/sciencehistoryofv4rolt
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
      Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Science/Chemistry
      Keywords that describe the book: science, chemistry
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:

No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Science - History of the Universe, Volume 4. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Science - History of the Universe, Volume 4, edited by Francis Rolt-Wheeler. Chemistry, [Chapter] [Title] [Part]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Science - History of the Universe, Volume 4, Chemistry, edited by Francis Rolt-Wheeler"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording

Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      histofuniversevol4_##_wheeler_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. histofuniversevol4_01_wheeler_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Everything's set - we're ready to go! :clap:

Could you check the disclaimer for the authors please? If the prof. who died in 1922 wrote the introduction, then this part is okay for anyone. Did he write more of the book?

And now, for once, I'll wait for the MW before I'm claiming... ;-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Glad to have you back, thanks Dave! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sienna,

I'll leave the intro for the broader audience and offer to read 15 (atomic weights) since it's all PD for me. I am a bit daunted by the tables, so maybe we can chat about that. Any that you think can be skipped as unintelligible in verbal form?

MaryAnn
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Sienna,

I'll leave the intro for the broader audience and offer to read 15 (atomic weights) since it's all PD for me. I am a bit daunted by the tables, so maybe we can chat about that. Any that you think can be skipped as unintelligible in verbal form?

MaryAnn
We can skip these tables on these pages: 289-291, 293-296. As they are illustrations of how the table looks and will be hard to read. You may have to omit the words, "as follows," etc.

Anyone can pitch in and contradict me, if you think of a better way to deal with the tables. :D
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Availle wrote:Could you check the disclaimer for the authors please? If the prof. who died in 1922 wrote the introduction, then this part is okay for anyone. Did he write more of the book?
Just the introduction.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Sienna,

Please put me in for chapter XII, The Development of Organic Chemistry. :)

Thanks!
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Unless you want it, I'd be glad to do the introduction, but wil wait later to see about anything more.
~ Larry
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Sienna wrote:
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Sienna,

MaryAnn
We can skip these tables on these pages: 289-291, 293-296. As they are illustrations of how the table looks and will be hard to read. You may have to omit the words, "as follows," etc.

Anyone can pitch in and contradict me, if you think of a better way to deal with the tables. :D
Sections 20-21 assigned.
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Hi Sienna,

Please put me in for chapter XII, The Development of Organic Chemistry. :)

Thanks!
Section 17 assigned.
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

silverquill wrote:Unless you want it, I'd be glad to do the introduction, but wil wait later to see about anything more.
It's yours!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:lol: I'm barely getting my foot into this door...

Could I read Chapter 13 - Valence and Stereo-Chemistry for now, please?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sienna

Post by Sienna »

Availle wrote::lol: I'm barely getting my foot into this door...

Could I read Chapter 13 - Valence and Stereo-Chemistry for now, please?
Section 18 assigned.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Could I claim sections 3 and 4?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!