COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

shadagee wrote:I found a copy online and read it. Yes, it's very long, and contains far more than the English Setter. Other than some pronunciations and advice on how to handle quoted material, I'd probably be OK. (I used to edit video for a living)
shadagee wrote:I'll be glad to do the 8 pages as well. Can you give me some time frame you'd like to work within? Have to get a mic and Audacity up and running.
The First Post explains LV's policy to allow a 2 month time frame once you've claimed a section. This should also include time to edit any changes requested from your proof listener. The First Post also gives a link to the authorized text from which this project must be read. (There are sometimes several editions of a single book, each one slightly different, so all our readers have to read from the same text for our project to be authentic.) Okay, I will put you in for Section 2, English Setter, and you can choose Basset Hound, one of several terriers, or the Mexican Hairless for your 8 pager. Let me know what you decide.

As to pronunciation, when in doubt I open my Bing browser and search "Pronounce WORD', and it often comes up with an audio file for that WORD, or at least gives the textual pronunciation breakdown. If it doesn't, any one of the listed pronunciation guides (Farvo, HowJSay, YouTube) provides fairly good results . . . . . usually, mostly, sometimes.
satyrosjay

Post by satyrosjay »

I would like to claim, 14 The Beagle Hound please. Thanks! I shall do a fine reading! Awaiting your response!
Jay Lenhert
msfry

Post by msfry »

satyrosjay wrote:I would like to claim, 14 The Beagle Hound please. Thanks! I shall do a fine reading! Awaiting your response!
Hi, Jay. When your 1-Minute test is OK'd (per your Welcome Letter), please come back here and let me know. Meanwhile I suggest you read through the last few pages of this project where I offered some good advice to other new readers, which I think will help you too. Of course I will reserve Section 14 for you, and welcome to Librivox.
tommack

Post by tommack »

I would like to claim sections 25,28, and 34.

Tommack
msfry

Post by msfry »

tommack wrote:I would like to claim sections 25,28, and 34.

Tommack
Hi Tom. Welcome to the project! I've put you in the MW for 25, 28, and 34. I see you're new to Librivox but have recorded a few things already, so if you need help or have any questions, just let me know.

For example, when you read the Value Charts, you can just say Head Value 10, Chest Value 15; or you can read Head Value 10, Chest 15, etc.

Post by tommack »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Tom. I look forward to listening soon.
tommack

Post by tommack »

here is section 28 The Airedale Terrier Length 17:29

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_28_various_128kb.mp3

More later,

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 25

2:16 - 7:35, volume collapses. In Audacity, I would go Effect/Amplify +3 to match the surrounding volume.
8:22 - 15:08, volume collapses. I would again go Effect/Amplify +3
I tried this and it brings your overall volume up to 89.9, well within LV range.

Good job, Tom. Very clear. Well read. Just a few comments below, and it's up to you whether you change these, based on how comfortable you are with the editing process.
7:00 A slur: In the rapid advances of show dogs, I hear Is rapid advances
8:09 Incorrect proper name: Little Dorrit, you say Lady Dorrit (again, its not necessary to change this, but if the breed line is still viable, and/or the owner's family (who happens to be the author family) ever listens to this rendering, they could be disappointed.
tommack

Post by tommack »

Thank you or the constructive comments on section 25

I'll be happy to make the changes you suggest and will re-send the file.

Tom
tommack

Post by tommack »

Here's the corrected file of Chapter 25 The Bull Terrier.

I really appreciate your constructive suggestion and will try to be a better proof listener of my own work in the future.

i made some changes/improvements to my recording setup since the original recording so the inserts made here are not exactly the same quality as the original recording.

Thanks again,

Tom

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_25_various_128kb.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 25 is PL OK.
Those edits pass muster just fine, Tom. True, not only do changes of settings and venues alter your pitch, base, treble, volume, etc., but also time of day, if you are sipping hot or cold beverages, your mood, energy levels, etc.! I've gradually learned to make use of various techniques and Effects to compensate for these factors.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 28 Airedale Terrier

I found this chapter very interesting, especially the part about how breeding records weren't kept for many years so nobody really knows the origin of this dog. Like a Cajun recipe, "throw in a little more bull dog, to add courage"! Nicely read, Tom. Just a few items to attend to:

2:09 missing the "end quote". Thus Mr.Dalziel's comment appears to continue to the author's comments. (optional to add)
9:48 I hear "and with their thick hair seems to sicken the dogs", delete "with" (or it doesn't quite make sense). I tried it and with zoom and careful selection the word can be deleted.
14:48 jaws free from flews, I hear flaws. (Flews are the thick hanging lips of a bloodhound or similar dog.)
16:25 - 16:42 Sharp increase in volume. Recommend you go Effect/Amplify -3.5
5 seconds of silence required at the end. Recommend you extend the silence by copying a few seconds from the end then pasting it in til you get 5.
tommack

Post by tommack »

here is the corrected chapter 28 The Airedale terrier.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_28_various_128kb.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 37 St. Bernard

Sorry this has taken me so long to PL, Nuria. Your post of December 22nd somehow got past me during the busy holidays. In future feel free to prod your BC if your post isn't replied to in reasonable time frame.

What an interesting chapter, and fascinating breed. Who would think that long hair is detrimental in heavy snow. I would think the longer and thicker, the warmer the dog! But no, there are other considerations, like the weight of the snow that sticks to the hair.

Some items require your attention (not too many for such a very long file):

1:40 delete stumble, "a b . . . a breed of dogs"
7:58 delete repeat "I resolved to obt . . . I resolved to obtain it.
18:13 delete repeat "and from the hip . . . and from the hip
22:16 a 3.5 second pause is acceptable, but seems over-long given your otherwise very rapid pace. You might consider trimming this to 1.5 seconds.
25:58 missing phrase: "Nature has no doubt done its part also,"...for we find
27:35 missing phrase: the farther it is "from the proper form." According to
28:44 - 32:22 NOTE: In one chapter I read I omitted reciting a similarly long and practically useless (and the author said "only partial") list of breeder and kennel names and addresses of yesteryear, which here lasts almost 4 minutes, and in mine was even longer -- about 3 whole pages. Most of the other chapters I've PL'd or read so far don't include this exceedingly boring recitation. In my opinion it could be omitted.
39:36 delete extraneous phrase "that she beck",

After editing, save the file with the same name, and upload exactly as before and post notice here for spot PL. I promise not to take so long to reply.

Any questions about any of this, don't hesitate to ask.