COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 28 is PL OK :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 34 is uploaded. The Collie.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_34_various_128kb.mp3 18:08

Nuria, are you available to PL?
JoshuaDickey

Post by JoshuaDickey »

Would like to claim section 13, 38, and 39.

First set of recordings and woukd be happy to use JoshuaD as my pseudonym or title or whatever it's called. ;) Nothing fancy.

Thank you.
msfry

Post by msfry »

JoshuaDickey wrote: January 11th, 2018, 12:06 pm Would like to claim section 13, 38, and 39.

First set of recordings and woukd be happy to use JoshuaD as my pseudonym or title or whatever it's called. ;) Nothing fancy.

Thank you.
Hi Joshua, I've put you in the Magic Window (First Post) for 13, 38, and 39, and added your user name JoshuaD into our catalog. This name will show up next to every section you read in our catalogued material and on Internet Archive, and your friends can search Librivox for all your work by entering either your forum name or user name into the Search The Catalog box. The First Post will explain everything you need to know about what to name your file, where to upload it, which MC's folder to upload it to, as well as what to say at the Intro and Outro of your file. The recording and editing of the rest is up to you. I welcome you to this project and to Librivox, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It is often helpful to read thru prior posts of different projects for valuable information, and this one in particular has several tips for newbie LV'ers.
tommack

Post by tommack »

Here is section 35 The Old English Sheep Dog
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_35-various_128kb.mp3

Length 33:29

Many thanks for all your help

Tom
rraem

Post by rraem »

May I claim 20?

Also, do we need to narrate the footnotes?
Rebecca
msfry

Post by msfry »

rraem wrote: January 12th, 2018, 8:07 pm May I claim 20?

Also, do we need to narrate the footnotes?
Hi, Rebecca. I'll put you in for 20, Cocker Spaniel, and unless otherwise specified in the First Post, reading of footnotes is a judgment call by the reader, i.e., if you think it conveys sufficiently new and interesting material.

My adopted cocker spaniel bit me as a child, while I was playing hopscotch in the neighborhood. I've still got the teeth marks to prove it, and I've heard they don't like kids much, so I want to know if this is true and what these dogs were actually bred for. They are beautiful animals to look at.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 35

Hello Tom. Very interesting segment. Soooo, my physician can treat my dog better than a vet can, and they make house calls!!!

Quite a few issues with this file:

:55 uncompromisingly, I hear comprisingly
7:20 to end, volume drops to a whisper. Amplify +10
27:03 - 33:25, stuttering audio, beginning with "should be carefully rem--- and burned", numerous syllables are dropped throughout. Examples: stuttering anim---, do it with pleas---, one of his pa----, I recommend you re-record this 6 minute segment, as the drops are far too numerous to fix. I thought it might be my machine, but the first part of your file does not stutter, nor do any of my other files. The only thing I know that causes this is when some program on your machine is doing a scan or update in the background.
Outro: Shorten your silence at the end down to 5 seconds.

Michele Tip: I notice quite a few quotes in this segment. Sometimes our expressiveness can make those distinctions better than chopping it up with "quote/end quote"
Examples:
- G. R. Jesse quotes from "The Passionate Pilgrim", saying quote 3 times in a row is cumbersome. Feel free to just read, Jesse quotes from . . . The Passionate Pilgrim. . .
or
- the densely coated face is also the "correct type", rather than say "quote correct type end quote", the phrase can be emphasized with a slight pause, the . . . .correct type.

It is always the reader's call, of course, but having wrestled down recording several biographies which are chock full of quotes, I've finally learned that some of the "quote/end quotes" can be replaced by pauses, which I think makes the reading go much smoother, without any loss of understanding.
:)
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Hello Michele,
I just wanted to let you know that I am still working on my chapter (section 36/The Great Dane). I hope to deliver it soon.
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list
tommack

Post by tommack »

Here is the corrected and updated section 35 The Old English Sheep Dog

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americabookofthedog_35_various.mp3

length 33;29

many thanks to you and Michele for your help and sugestions

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

RiDi wrote: January 16th, 2018, 4:28 pm Hello Michele,
I just wanted to let you know that I am still working on my chapter (section 36/The Great Dane). I hope to deliver it soon.
No rush, Ricardo, you have plenty of time, but thanks for checking in.
msfry

Post by msfry »

tommack wrote: January 16th, 2018, 6:50 pm Here is the corrected and updated section 35 The Old English Sheep Dog

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americabookofthedog_35_various.mp3

length 33;29

many thanks to you and Michele for your help and sugestions
Tom
A few important discrepancies noticed here, Tom:
File names and file lengths vary from your original and revised submissions.
The original submission (listed first below) has the correct file name, whereas the second submission omits the _128kb.
The original submission is in actuality almost 4 minutes longer than the second submission. Not sure where, but I fear a large block of text has been inadvertently deleted from your second submission.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_35_various_128kb.mp3
36:26

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_35_various.mp3
32:35
tommack

Post by tommack »

Michele,

here is the file with the title corrected. I can not explain the discrepancy in the file lengths.
I don't think there is anything missing from this file. I listened to the mp3 before I sent it in and I think it's all there'
I show the length as 32:35. I was pretty relentless in trimming out pauses when I made the corrections, but i can not account for 4 minutes

anyway here goes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_35_various_128kb.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

tommack wrote: January 17th, 2018, 2:13 pm Michele,

here is the file with the title corrected. I can not explain the discrepancy in the file lengths.
I don't think there is anything missing from this file. I listened to the mp3 before I sent it in and I think it's all there'
I show the length as 32:35. I was pretty relentless in trimming out pauses when I made the corrections, but i can not account for 4 minutes

anyway here goes.

I PL'd the first one following along with the text and it was all there, nothing much extra included, so I guess I'll PL the new one from scratch and try to locate the missing 4 minutes.
tommack

Post by tommack »

Michele,
i just listened again to the mp3 file on chapter 35. The Old English Sheep Dog

I did it with script in hand and I can assure you there is nothing missing. I hope this helps. I still cannot explain the differences in length as I no longer have a copy of the original longer file. If you have a copy of the original or can tell me how o get it, I'll be happy to try to solve this mystery.

Tom