COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes 38 Mastiff

This has been beautifully read and wonderfully paced, Joshua. Some corrections are needed, listed below:

1:15 the admirable monograph, I hear Admiral monograph
4:55 need to say "End of Footnote" or something like that.
10:05 - 10:58 Volume drops noticably. Could Amplify +1.5 for a more even transition.
13:19 repeat Mr. Charles H. Morgan, of Worcester, Mass.
22:30 remonStratingly, the S is ear-pearcingly shrill. 24:11 another shrill S at "And for Some centuries previous...

As my recordings are full of these (yours wasn't), I thought I'd share how I edit them out (without re-recording anything) -- not that you have to. In Audacity, I just highlight the word, notice the high peak at the s, zoom in, highlight the highest point of the peak. Using your keyboard shortcuts, press your C key to hear what the word will sound like with that peak removed. Drag the margins of the highlighted selection a tad left and right, press C to listen again, until the S sounds normal (the shrill part omitted). When you are satisfied, press Z then X. It will be gone. NOTE: Shrill 's's are probably not annoying to a listener unless they happen a lot.

25:48 stutter: ....Such a dog as my glorious old Gypsie. Was. Would be invaluable. Should say "....Such a dog as my glorious old Gypsie was, would be invaluable".
27:08 as a dog is likely ever to do. to is missing.
28:27 are miserable failures as producers. I hear at producers.

Most importantly, the last 3 pages of text is missing, from POINTS OF THE ENGLISH MASTIFF, page 586, to end, as well as the OUTRO.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL 19 Field Spaniel

12:08 well formed muzzle, I hear muscle
13:46 horny soles, I hear sides
15:50 missing phrase, ..... wedginess of face, "teeth sound and regular," eyes intelligent in expression ...
12:23 to end. Volume drops considerably. To match the front end, I recommend you Amplify this later section +2.

All else, well done, and very interesting. :thumbs:
tommack

Post by tommack »

Here's the revised and corrected chapter 19 The Field Spaniel

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_19_various_128kb.mp3

length 17:56

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

19 is PL OK. :thumbs:
Thanks, Tom.
tommack

Post by tommack »

HayleyM

Post by HayleyM »

Hi

Can I please claim sections 26 (the white English terrier) and 33 (the Maltese terrier)?

As it's my first time recording chapters on here I've gone for some of the smaller ones :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

HayleyM wrote: April 18th, 2018, 11:55 pm Hi

Can I please claim sections 26 (the white English terrier) and 33 (the Maltese terrier)?

As it's my first time recording chapters on here I've gone for some of the smaller ones :D
Hello Hayley, I see you've submitted your 1 minute test and are ready to record! All I need now is for you to choose a Catalog Name that you want to appear in our Catalog of completed projects. This can be your Real Name, your username, or anything else you'd like to be searchable by. I use Michele Fry in the catalog so my friends and family can easily find me, and msfry as my username. It's your choice, but once chosen, can't be changed on catalogued material.

I'll reserve 26 and 33 for you, and add you to the Magic Window (MW) when I get the above info. Before recording, read the First Post carefully for what to say for your INTRO and OUTRO, what to name your file and where to upload it. Any more questions, ask.

I will be your proof listener. Looking forward to it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 21

What an interesting dog, and interestingly read, Tom. Alas, I looked him up and it seems the CHESAPEAKE BAY DUCK DOG has all but died out. What's left is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever, not the same stock. :(

Here are a few PL notes:
7:32 I like your little laugh here.
9:18 and 11:40, I think "end quote" is needed to differentiate who is talking.
19:23 fierce, I hear tierce?
24:45 "For instance, on the Irish Setter; result, a litter of all black puppies". result is missing. Maybe not necessary, but in the examples that follow, the word is included.
29:24 after "Neck ... 6", you skipped ""Symmetry and quality ... 6"

Next lifetime, I might choose to live in a hunting dog household. It seems like a hearty outdoor life, close to nature, lots of game for the table, and then there are these amazing dogs to marvel at every day.
tommack

Post by tommack »

here is the revised section 21 The Chesapeake Bay Dog

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_21_various_128kb.mp3 33:10

BTW at 19:23 my text says tierce not fierce. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I didn't change it.

One good thing about recording for Librivox is that you don't have to look your best!

Tom
tommack

Post by tommack »

Correction:

on further review "Fierce" is correct. I'll fix it now.

Tom
tommack

Post by tommack »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Corrections to 21 checked and OK. One weird thing, the old file was 33:35 in length, and this one with text added in, is 33:10. I checked the Intro and Outro as well as the corrected spots and all that seems to be there. I don't know how to account for the missing 25 seconds. Can you?

Gutenberg often has text errors. Some could be lifted straight from the original printed book (as seen on Internet Archive), others from Gutenberg's OCR process. Readers have to use their best judgment in these cases to make the best sense they can of it. When in doubt, some readers try to compare texts from multiple sources. None of us are perfect, but both Gutenberg and IA appreciate when we alert them to their errors, they gladly fix the errors we report, and send nice thank you notes. :D
tommack

Post by tommack »

I attribute the difference in length to "truncate silence"
I usually use it to eliminate unnecessary pauses.

Thanks for your patience.

If you want me to do another section I'll be happy to do it.

Tom
HayleyM

Post by HayleyM »

msfry wrote: April 19th, 2018, 9:02 am
HayleyM wrote: April 18th, 2018, 11:55 pm Hi

Hello Hayley, I see you've submitted your 1 minute test and are ready to record! All I need now is for you to choose a Catalog Name that you want to appear in our Catalog of completed projects. This can be your Real Name, your username, or anything else you'd like to be searchable by. I use Michele Fry in the catalog so my friends and family can easily find me, and msfry as my username. It's your choice, but once chosen, can't be changed on catalogued material.

I'll reserve 26 and 33 for you, and add you to the Magic Window (MW) when I get the above info. Before recording, read the First Post carefully for what to say for your INTRO and OUTRO, what to name your file and where to upload it. Any more questions, ask.

I will be your proof listener. Looking forward to it.
Hi Michele

Thank you. Umm I think I'll do the same as what you do thanks, I'll have Hayley McCardle in the catalog and use my username HayleyM around other places.

Okie dokie, will do :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ok, Hayley, you've been added to our catalog! And if you check the MW (Magic Window) in the First Post, you will see you have been assigned 26 and 33. I'm here to help, so ask if you have any questions, and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

I highly recommend you watch the Video Tutorials on how to edit using Audacity (Librivox wiki, linked to in the menu), done by volunteer Phil Chenevert. Especially about the C, Z, and X keys. I can't imagine trying to edit without those keyboard shortcuts. I've tried my hand at creating video tutorials, too, and they contain good tips, though they are not as entertaining as Phil's.

My one piece of recording advice is to just keep talking, and if you read something incorrectly, just repeat the phrase and keep going. If you need to practice untwisting a complicated word or phrase just repeat it over and over until you are satisfied, but don't stop, and no clicking, clapping, or otherwise to note the error. This keeps your voice in the same pitch, tone and tempo. It will be readily apparent what to cut out when you go back and listen.

When you get one finished, upload per instructions in the First Post, and post the address here, and I'll proof listen a.s.a.p. and give you feedback. Looking forward to it. How exciting!