COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

35 is PL OK. Nothing missing. :thumbs:

Some mysteries I just accept as unexplainable. They probably are explainable, but not worth the time to do it.
NOTE: LV does keep the old file, but alters its name when you re-load the new file by the same name over it. However, in this case, since you mis-named your latest upload, the old file is still there.

Scroll up a few messages to where I compared both of your file names, and Right Click/Save Target As the longer file to download the original file back to your computer. Right Click/Save Target As the shorter file to retrieve the newest file.

When this is done, then I'll ask Jo to fix the file name so the shorter file is in the MW, with the longer file name, and mark it PL OK.
tommack

Post by tommack »

I've checked. it's still a mystery. Some mysteries are better left unsolved.

Let it go and move on.

Tom
msfry

Post by msfry »

Agreed. What's left, then is to rename the shorter version (32 minutes), to the proper file name, adding the _128kb. Jo has offered to do that for you from her end, and I presume she will change it in the MW.
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Here comes section 36, the one about the Great Dane.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_36_various_128kb.mp3
duration: 45m:30s

I loved the part with the discussion about cropping of ears and the author's decided commentary against it. 1891!
The German Dogge is described as fearless or courageous, though I happened to know some very anxious specimens, they were like mice in an elephant's body....... Very funny for men to watch, but supposedly not funny for the Dogge. Then I knew three specimens that turned out to be very nasty and dangerous so that they had to be put down. As far as I can tell, there was no fault of the owners'.
Here in Germany, they are regarded with much suspicion, because most people are afraid of them. So, if you are the owner of one, you have to have it well trained and there will be many restrictions as to walking them without leash. A Great Dane running around without leash, even in the country or the forest, will be seen as an intimidation of and a potential danger to children, bikers, joggers etc. An incident as described in the text, where a Great Dane might be seen playing with children, would absolutely call for police action nowadays, I am afraid.

I found the text very difficult to read, what with all the Latin and names.
I hope I got it all (or most of it) correct and listening might be enjoyable, though.

Ricarda
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

msfry wrote: January 20th, 2018, 10:49 am

When this is done, then I'll ask Jo to fix the file name so the shorter file is in the MW, with the longer file name, and mark it PL OK.
All set.
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Ricarda, I look forward to listening, and to learning more about the Great Dane.

Thanks, Jo.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 36 PL Notes
This section was beautifully read, Ricarda, difficult words and all. in fact I think your German accent for a German breed and all the German words was a wonderful choice for you, and a lucky choice for this project. Just one thing needs attending:

:29 The title should be "The Great Dane (German Dogge)" German Dogge is missing. This is important to include as both names are used interchangeably through the entire article.

Make your edit then upload again using the same file name, and post here when that is done so I can do a spot check.

Good job! :thumbs:
rraem

Post by rraem »

Hey, can I have an extension? I finished recording, but I haven't gotten the chance to edit yet.
Rebecca
msfry

Post by msfry »

rraem wrote: January 31st, 2018, 7:54 am Hey, can I have an extension? I finished recording, but I haven't gotten the chance to edit yet.
You made your claim on 1/12, so no extension is required. LV readers have up to 2 months to complete a section, because we all have many other things to do and sometimes those things pile up high and thick. :D

Thanks for checking in, though. It is much appreciated. If you need help with anything, please let me know.
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Thank you very much for your kind feed back, Michele.

Skipping the words in brackets was totally unintentional, I am so sorry, :oops:
I do not know how this could happen. I promise to fix it soon.
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list
msfry

Post by msfry »

RiDi wrote: January 31st, 2018, 8:41 am Thank you very much for your kind feed back, Michele.

Skipping the words in brackets was totally unintentional, I am so sorry, :oops:
I do not know how this could happen. I promise to fix it soon.
No need to be sorry or embarassed. It's very easy for our eyes to skip over words, phrases, or lose our place and skip sentences, or even paragraphs. Or to read things twice. Or reverse words. Or speak phrases like we are used to hearing them, and not notice that the author expressed it differently. That's why we have proof listeners, and why this is a team effort. Makes it more fun, I think. :D
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

Here is the fixed recording.
I guess I am lucky that the expression "German Dogge" appeared several times in my text...... :wink:

duration: 45 min: 31 s

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_36_various_128kb.mp3
msfry wrote: January 31st, 2018, 8:57 am No need to be sorry or embarassed. It's very easy for our eyes to skip over words, phrases, or lose our place and skip sentences, or even paragraphs. Or to read things twice. Or reverse words. Or speak phrases like we are used to hearing them, and not notice that the author expressed it differently. That's why we have proof listeners, and why this is a team effort. Makes it more fun, I think. :D
sounds like you have a lot of experience here :P
Ricarda

My reading list
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 36 is PL OK. :thumbs:
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

msfry wrote: January 9th, 2018, 2:26 pm PL Notes Section 37 St. Bernard

Sorry this has taken me so long to PL, Nuria. Your post of December 22nd somehow got past me during the busy holidays. In future feel free to prod your BC if your post isn't replied to in reasonable time frame.

What an interesting chapter, and fascinating breed. Who would think that long hair is detrimental in heavy snow. I would think the longer and thicker, the warmer the dog! But no, there are other considerations, like the weight of the snow that sticks to the hair.

Some items require your attention (not too many for such a very long file):

1:40 delete stumble, "a b . . . a breed of dogs"
7:58 delete repeat "I resolved to obt . . . I resolved to obtain it.
18:13 delete repeat "and from the hip . . . and from the hip
22:16 a 3.5 second pause is acceptable, but seems over-long given your otherwise very rapid pace. You might consider trimming this to 1.5 seconds.
25:58 missing phrase: "Nature has no doubt done its part also,"...for we find
27:35 missing phrase: the farther it is "from the proper form." According to
28:44 - 32:22 NOTE: In one chapter I read I omitted reciting a similarly long and practically useless (and the author said "only partial") list of breeder and kennel names and addresses of yesteryear, which here lasts almost 4 minutes, and in mine was even longer -- about 3 whole pages. Most of the other chapters I've PL'd or read so far don't include this exceedingly boring recitation. In my opinion it could be omitted.
39:36 delete extraneous phrase "that she beck",

After editing, save the file with the same name, and upload exactly as before and post notice here for spot PL. I promise not to take so long to reply.

Any questions about any of this, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks for PL'ing.
It's no problem that you took longer, as you see, I take my time too :wink:
Here is the corrected section 37:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_37_various_128kb.mp3 43:27
msfry

Post by msfry »

37 is PL OK. Thank you for those nice fixes! Good job.
Last edited by msfry on February 7th, 2018, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.