COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sherrilothridge

Post by sherrilothridge »

Thanks so much Michelle. I will make the changes and slice them in. Your tutorials have been very helpful! For the catalog my name is Sherri Lothridge. Have a great weekend!!

Here is the edit for spot check. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyourav ... _128kb.mp3
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

Hi Michele,
May I read section 37, the St. Bernard?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nuria wrote:Hi Michele,
You certainly may and I'll reserve it for you, but are you sure you want to start with something that long? It's 22 pages (about 40 minutes of completed recording). If I could entice you to read a shorter piece first, there are several here to choose from, some with only 8 pages. :)
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

msfry wrote:
Nuria wrote:Hi Michele,
You certainly may and I'll reserve it for you, but are you sure you want to start with something that long? It's 22 pages (about 40 minutes of completed recording). If I could entice you to read a shorter piece first, there are several here to choose from, some with only 8 pages. :)
I read a few chapters from Robert Hooke's Micrographia, the longest was about 17 minutes, it has probably a similar length as the 8 pages you mentioned, so I think I'll manage it.
And I know someone who breeds St. Bernards and would like to give him more to Christmas then cookies, so there is additional motivation! :D

Thanks for reserving!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, Nuria, 37 is reserved for you! Motivation is a precious commodity! :thumbs:
kittypryde12

Post by kittypryde12 »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 47 is PL OK. Excellent edits, I must say! :thumbs:

FYI, I almost didn't catch your upload because you spliced it into a previous post. Apparently, we don't get email notices of edits to posts -- something I didn't know myself, something to keep in mind.

Now, are you ready to chase those Foxhounds? :P
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 18

Only two text errors found, both in the same sentence:
8:22 "Sussex Spaniel is not very marked, but he should not be devoid of this quality."
I hear riot very marked, but you should not

Checker reports volume at 93, hotter than LV's range. In Audacity, I recommend you select your whole track and use the Effects/Amplify, set to -3.5, to bring the range down to between 89 and 90. (LV's optimum is 89). Then I recommend you Amplify the segment between 4:47 - 5:15 up by 1.6 to match the surrounding text.

When you re-load your file with these corrections, please rename your file:
americanbookofthedog_18_various_128kb
and save as an .mp3

Your original file is misnamed with two extra characters after 123kb (128kbps)
americanbookofthedog_18_various_128kbps

RECOMMENDATION: When I name my files, I always copy and paste from the First Post to ensure accuracy. No chance for a typo that way. :wink:
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

shadagee

Post by shadagee »

Well, I'm brand new, and this seems like serendipity. I'm the breeder and owner of the #1 Irish Setter in AKC Best in Show records, a Sporting group winner at Westminster and ranked 7th and the all time Sporting Dog. (She may have dropped down one or two, I haven't looked in a while.)

Are there breed specific chapters? I can read on this sport with authority and can say "bitch" without laughing.
Debbie
msfry

Post by msfry »

shadagee wrote:Well, I'm brand new, and this seems like serendipity. I'm the breeder and owner of the #1 Irish Setter in AKC Best in Show records, a Sporting group winner at Westminster and ranked 7th and the all time Sporting Dog. (She may have dropped down one or two, I haven't looked in a while.)

Are there breed specific chapters? I can read on this sport with authority and can say "bitch" without laughing.
Welcome to Librivox, Shadagee! I presume you got your Welcome letter, which will help you get your Librivox bearings. Included in that letter is information for submitting a 1-Minute Test Recording: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test.
This is not a "talent audition" but helps us help you set up the parameters of your recording software correctly to meet LV specifications. Once you submit your test and it receives an OK from one of our admins, you are ready to begin.

Look through the list in the Magic Window for Open sections (within the First Post). There are plenty to choose from, alas the Irish Setter has already been recorded. Let me know what you decide.

You also need to give me a Catalog Name, which can be your username, your Real Name, or another name by which people can look you up in our cataloged books. This name will appear by every section you read in any of our projects. Once you establish this name, I don't think it can be changed.
shadagee

Post by shadagee »

Ah, it seems I am too late for the Irish. :cry: If you can bear with me learning how to do this, I can do English Setters. I'll need guidance.........
Debbie
msfry

Post by msfry »

shadagee wrote:Ah, it seems I am too late for the Irish. :cry: If you can bear with me learning how to do this, I can do English Setters. I'll need guidance.........
That's what I'm here for! English Setter is 22 pages, kind of long if you're not used to editing. I can reserve that one for you, though. And if you want to cut your teeth on something shorter first, there are a few 8 pagers available.
shadagee

Post by shadagee »

I found a copy online and read it. Yes, it's very long, and contains far more than the English Setter. Other than some pronunciations and advice on how to handle quoted material, I'd probably be OK. (I used to edit video for a living)
Debbie
shadagee

Post by shadagee »

I'll be glad to do the 8 pages as well. Can you give me some time frame you'd like to work within? Have to get a mic and Audacity up and running.
Debbie