COMPLETE The Three Midshipmen by WHG Kingston -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RonJ

Post by RonJ »

Carolin,

I would like to claim section 4 of The Three Midshipmen.

Thanks,
RonJ 8-)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you ron :D
Carolin
tjp1421

Post by tjp1421 »

Hello just finished my 1 minute test and ready to go! I'd like to take a run at chapter 12 adventures on shore pls. I can just go by my sign in name I suppose tjp1421. Anything else I should know?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:

I have signed you up, your personal catalogue page is here https://librivox.org/reader/11711

Enjoy this chapter!
Carolin
RonJ

Post by RonJ »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/midshipmen_04_kingston_128kb.mp3

Carolin,

I have uploaded chapter four of The Three Midshipmen. The length is 34:28 minutes.

RonJ :lol:
RonJ

Post by RonJ »

Carolin,

I would like to claim section "14" of "The Three Midshipmen."

Thanks,
RonJ
tjp1421

Post by tjp1421 »

Hi Carolin

So I might have been a tad hasty in claiming section 12. :oops: I will still try to get it done in time, so you don't have to change anything. But I would rather start with section 9 the wreck of the San Fernando. Will try and have it done up this week.

Thanks!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :D :thumbs:
Carolin
tjp1421

Post by tjp1421 »

Carolin

I uploaded section 9 of the three midshipmen. length 33m 22sec

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/midshipmen_09_kingston_128kb.mp3

First one so I hope everything is up to snuff. Any suggestions or feedback would be great. or just point me to a thread i should consider. Thanks!

Tim :)
Jules8

Post by Jules8 »

:D Hello Carolin:
May I claim Chapter 5--"Roasting the Bully."
It has been a long time and hopefully I'll be OK. This story reminds me of my navy days on a Canadian Destroyer H.M.C.S. Nootka.---- Lots of memories.
:D Jules
Animals have these advantages over man……they have no theologians to instruct them……their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts law suite over their wills.
Voltaire
linny

Post by linny »

I can PL chapter 1.

Carolin,
I'm not taking any DPL projects until after my summer vacation. I'm be crossing the country and visiting both of my grandmothers. Neither has internet and I can't stand the thought of coming home to readers waiting so long for feedback. I'll help out as I can on your projects until then.
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for Chapter 1
Opening silence needs to be less than 1 second. Please trim.

Intro: I’ll need Carolin to tag in on this note. It may be acceptable but she will need to make the determination.
• "Chapter [number] of The Three Midshipmen. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
• If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
• Say:
"The Three Midshipmen, by William Henry Giles Kingston. [Chapter]"

First bullet read as stated, however 2nd and 3rd bullets are merged. "The Three Midshipmen, by William Henry Giles Kingston. Recording by [your name], [Chapter]"

2:25 Missing word - One was a slightly made, dark, and somewhat delicate-looking boy; another was a sturdy little fellow, with a round, ruddy countenance, and a jovial, good-natured expression in it, yet he did not look as if he would stand any nonsense; the third was rather smaller than the other two, a pleasant-looking fellow, and though his eyes were red with crying, he seemed to be cutting some joke which made his companions laugh.
I’ll leave it to you to decide if this descriptor should be included. You don’t have to change it if you don’t want to.

Ending silence is almost 7 seconds. Please trim to 5 seconds.

EMBischoff,
Welcome to LV! I really have enjoyed your reading style for this chapter.

One area I struggled slightly with was the consistency of volume. The overall volume is 88.2dB which is in range and no changes need to be made. While listening I found I had to have the volume all the way up to hear the majority of your reading yet this sometimes caused your characters to be rather loud. When you have some free time, and if you are interested, here is a video you may want to review to show you a way to balance the volume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU
Last edited by linny on May 30th, 2017, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for chapter 2

2:42 There were several other passed mates in the berth, and two assistant-surgeons—one of them old enough to be the father of any of the youngsters—and a second master and a master’s assistant, and the captain and purser’s clerks, and three or four other midshipmen of various ages.
I hear pursuers

3:07 The fathers of some present were of high rank, and they had been accustomed to all the luxuries wealth can give, while others were the sons of poor men, officers in the army and navy, who had little beyond their pay on which to depend.
I hear way

Hello Ron,
Welcome to LV! Great reading. :thumbs:

One note of caution. Our volume range is 86-92dB. This chapter is exactly 92dB. No change needed but be sure not to get any louder.
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for chapter 9
3:45 There is a 4.5 second pause here which sounds really long. Was this your intent?

8:05 Missing text - We must trust to the help of the Almighty, not to our own arm to save us; still we must exert ourselves to the best of our power to take care of our lives; we must husband our resources, we must behave with the utmost order, we must be kind to each other, and we must keep up our spirits and hope for the best.

11:11 missing word - Once more the wind got up, and sent the water washing over the frail raft, which worked fearfully, as if it would come to pieces.
While this is not a word perfect project I believe the missing word changes intent and should be included.

24:00 He had taken a great antipathy to slavers.
I hear grain

24:18 stumble - Two of them stepped on board the raft, to which they secured a rope, and began towing it towards the brig.

29:37 They, with Hemming, ran forward to ascertain the state of things, and there they made out through the darkness on the port bow amass of white breakers.
I hear part

Ending silence – We need 5 seconds of ending silence. While you are there, please delete the noise in the end. I believe it may be when you were turning off your mic.

Hi Tim,
Welcome to LV! Nice job on your first chapter!

From a prior project I learned that forecastle isn’t pronounced even close to how it is spelled. Pronunciation is not an issue here at LV so you don’t have to change anything for it. I found it interesting so I’ll pass it along in case you come across the word again in the future. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forecastle

Be sure to post if you aren’t sure how to make the changes I noted. Lots to learn early on and we are all here to help.
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Carolin,
I realize you hadn't posted Tim's section to the MW but since he is a new reader I thought it would be nice to give feedback right away. I can't believe all three chapters I listened to are new readers and they all did great! The project is off to a wonderful start.

If a DPL doesn't pick you up first I'll try to get by this weekend for Ron's remaining chapter.

Be well :D