[COMPLETE/BAD SCI-FI] Social War of 1900 by Simon Landis - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The Social War of 1900, or The Conspirators and Lovers! by Simon Landis ( - 1902).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-social-war-of-the-year-1900-or-the-conspirators-and-lovers-by-simon-landis/
Described by io9.com contributor Jess Nevins as “the worst science fiction novel of the 19th century,” The Social War of 1900, or The Conspirators and Lovers! has become infamous for its overwrought prose, flimsy characterizations, ludicrous plotting, and repugnant ideas. For these same reasons, the book has gained infamy as a cultural oddity, a guilty pleasure, and a somewhat over-imaginative work of outsider art.

The Social War of 1900 follows the adventures of Dr. Victor Juno, a Naturalist who heals sickness through animal magnetism, and his sweetheart Lucinda. Juno, the leader of a secret paramilitary society, wages a revolutionary war against an American society steeped in sin and avarice—and, in particular, against a villainous triumvirate known as “The Bloody Conspirators.” But will his revolution succeed? And if so, what form will his idealized utopia finally take? (ChuckW)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/entirelynewfeatu00land
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Social War of 1900, or The Conspirators and Lovers!. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Social War of 1900, or The Conspirators and Lovers!, by Simon Landis. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Social War of 1900, or The Conspirators and Lovers!, by Simon Landis. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      socialwarof1900_###_landis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. socialwarof1900_001_landis_128kb.mp3)

Note: Please use the 3 digit format for file numbers.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on February 23rd, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Fun Fact: I had briefly considered launching this as a solo, but thought the idea of recording all 400+ pages of this book by my lonesome would send me into some sort of Lovecraftian state of madness. So I decided to launch this as a group project instead. :-)

For those curious, here's the io9 article I mention in my summary: http://io9.gizmodo.com/5890703/the-worst-science-fiction-novel-of-the-19th-century

I also don't mind being my own DPL. I've done it before... and suspect the extreme length of this book might put some people off. I would, however, be happy to share DPL duties with someone (perhaps I could take odds and someone else could take evens?). Either way, I'm just fine and dandy.

I'm also being somewhat disingenuous. The full title of this book is An Entirely New Feature of a Thrilling Novel! Entitled, The Social War of the year 1900; or, The Conspirators and Lovers! Um... do we need to give that full title in the recording?

I'll be gone for a little while, but should be back sometime tonight. I'll try to keep tabs on this thread while I'm out, but it might take a while to respond.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds crazy! I'll MC.
I'm also being somewhat disingenuous. The full title of this book is An Entirely New Feature of a Thrilling Novel! Entitled, The Social War of the year 1900; or, The Conspirators and Lovers! Um... do we need to give that full title in the recording?
I'm thinking we could put that full title in the database entry, so someone searching for it would find it. But I think the audio can just have what you put in the post.

For now I've left you out as DPL, in case someone wants to PL the whole thing. :)

100 chapters, 400 pages = about 4 pages per chapter, correct? I wonder if it would be better to combine chapters, maybe do 2 per section. I did that on my solo of Omoo, which had 82 short chapters. I think listeners would appreciate 15-20 minute sections rather than 8-10 minute ones. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TriciaG wrote:Sounds crazy! I'll MC.
I'm thinking we could put that full title in the database entry, so someone searching for it would find it. But I think the audio can just have what you put in the post.

For now I've left you out as DPL, in case someone wants to PL the whole thing. :)

100 chapters, 400 pages = about 4 pages per chapter, correct? I wonder if it would be better to combine chapters, maybe do 2 per section. I did that on my solo of Omoo, which had 82 short chapters. I think listeners would appreciate 15-20 minute sections rather than 8-10 minute ones. :hmm:
Wow! That was much faster than I thought! Thanks Tricia! I promise, the craziness of this book will not disappoint. The ending is quite literally jaw dropping (no... really... my jaw dropped).

As for combining the chapters... what do you think? Just surveying the first few chapters, most of the chapters range anywhere between 1500-1850, with one clocking in at 2000. Landis manages to squeeze quite a lot of text into those skinny pages!

(It doesn't help that I've already put together all the chapters and page numbers in my notebook... but I will try to combine them, if you think this is best.)
PROJECTS
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I can't resist. Would enjoy being dpl. I will listen to it all but will willingly split the chapters with you. Could it be as bad as "Plan 9 from Outer Space?"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. Okay, if they're 1500-1800 words, that's probably fine for separate sections. :) Carry on!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TriciaG wrote:Hmm. Okay, if they're 1500-1800 words, that's probably fine for separate sections. :) Carry on!
Thanks Tricia. I was actually a little shocked when I did the initial word count for each chapter. The font is so, so, so tiny. I guess Landis had a lot to say. :roll:
craigdav1 wrote:I can't resist. Would enjoy being dpl. I will listen to it all but will willingly split the chapters with you. Could it be as bad as "Plan 9 from Outer Space?"
Haha! Well, perhaps... although Plan 9 at least ended with a message of peace and tolerance, however misguided it might have been. This book... um... kinda goes off the rails near the end.

And I would love for you to join this project. Glad to be working with you again. :-) Thank you so much!
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Alright, the MW's set up. Sorry it took so long. There are obviously many, many chapters... and I had to stop to read my kid bedtime stories.

Tricia -- would you mind giving me one more section? I forgot that Landis ends this book by literally explaining its moral to the reader.
PROJECTS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Done! For the record, you as BC or soloist can add sections by clicking the "add new section" button. But you can't delete any, for safety's sake. I did it for ya this time. :)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TriciaG wrote:Done! For the record, you as BC or soloist can add sections by clicking the "add new section" button. But you can't delete any, for safety's sake. I did it for ya this time. :)
Aha! I think I vaguely remember doing that once upon a time, but I wasn't sure. Anyway... thanks! We're ready to get things started. :-)
PROJECTS
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

Oh my I have got to listen to this when it's completed. Good luck with this project and I'll follow this thread to satisfy my sci fi curiosity. :D

Betty
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

libraryanne wrote:Oh my I have got to listen to this when it's completed. Good luck with this project and I'll follow this thread to satisfy my sci fi curiosity. :D

Betty
Haha! It's, um... kind of a hoot, to be honest. The overblown purple prose only makes the whole thing more ludicrous and unbelievable. :-)

By the way, I just made some minor, cosmetic changes to the summary. Nothing major... just some typos and clarification stuff.
PROJECTS
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

I will take the moral of the story. And i will look through it also and see what else would be fun to read.
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

jasonb wrote:I will take the moral of the story. And i will look through it also and see what else would be fun to read.
Starting backwards? That seems so appropriate for this book. :-)

Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing you channel the author of this masterpiece.
PROJECTS
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted.