LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently September 26th, 2017, 2:12 am


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 11  [ 152 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: February 10th, 2017, 11:32 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
taylcc wrote:
Jill. , could I please claim section 32 (December 24,1943)? This is a week after my father joined the Navy on his 17th birthday and going on to fight in the South Pacific. He talked about the fireside chats a lot and would do an imitation, "I hate war, Elanor hates war..." with FDRs accent. Thanks for taking this project!
Cal


Hi Cal, yes you certainly may claim section 32. I love that you have a personal connection to the chats. Thanks for being a part of this project. :)

Jill


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 11th, 2017, 12:59 am 

Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Posts: 435
Hello. I just learned that the fireside chats were recorded. There are audio recordings of all of FDR's fireside chats on Youtube. In fact, my text does not accurately correspond to his actual speech.

Would you mind if I bow out of reading section 16 17 and 18? I don't see the point.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 11th, 2017, 9:59 am 

Joined: January 30th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Posts: 3936
Location: Binghamton, NY
I would like to read Section 5.

-- dread

_________________
The range of literature is as wide as humanity. It touches every feeling, every hope, every craving of the human heart. -- David Jordan


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 11th, 2017, 2:01 pm 

Joined: July 7th, 2015, 10:12 pm
Posts: 1362
may I claim 12 and 35.

Betty


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 11th, 2017, 2:22 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
realisticspeakers wrote:
Hello. I just learned that the fireside chats were recorded. There are audio recordings of all of FDR's fireside chats on Youtube. In fact, my text does not accurately correspond to his actual speech.

Would you mind if I bow out of reading section 16 17 and 18? I don't see the point.


Yes, you may certainly bow out of your sections. Thanks for letting me know.

I hear and understand your concerns about making these recordings, I have actually given this a lot of thought in the past when considering LV projects of this type and when prepping this project. Here's where I'm at on it:

For anyone who may wonder, why record these speeches when we can listen to the president himself read them? For me there is power in reading the words of great speeches for ourselves. I believe that new and deeper understandings of the messages contained in the speeches can be gained through reading them out loud for ourselves.

I think there is value for our listeners in hearing modern people with modern inflections and current understandings of our world and history read the text of these historic speeches; it encapsulates our moment in time and our current appreciation for historic events. It is also inspiring and unifying to hear these speeches read by a group of volunteers from all around the world.

As to the text not matching the actual speech, this is true as often there was a version of the speech released by the White House which could be different than what the president actually read when he was in front of the microphone giving a Fireside Chat. I found in looking for these speeches that it was difficult to find information about the texts which clearly spelled out this distinction, so I decided to go with those that we could access most readily.

To sum up, if you want the historical effect of hearing FDR read these words, then definitely listen to the actual Fireside Chats, they are amazing and are powerful to hear. If you want to appreciate the language and the ideas in these speeches which are timeless and often universal, then I welcome you to claim a section. :)

Thanks for the discussion!

Jill


Last edited by jillebean on February 11th, 2017, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 11th, 2017, 2:23 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
Thanks dread and BettyB, your requested sections have been assigned to you. Welcome.

Jill :)


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 14th, 2017, 1:42 pm 

Joined: January 5th, 2017, 4:35 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Kent, Washington USA
I have recorded section 3. (19:51) Here is the link!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firesidechats_03_roosevelt.mp3

Best,
Michael

_________________
Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 14th, 2017, 4:00 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
Mfassio wrote:
I have recorded section 3. (19:51) Here is the link!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firesidechats_03_roosevelt.mp3

Best,
Michael


Hi Michael.

This section sounds great! You have a very nice voice that makes a nice addition to the other voices here at LibriVox. I only have one tiny technical change for you to make to the file and that is to reduce the silence at the beginning of the file to no more than 0.5 to 1 seconds (right now it's just over 2 seconds). That's it! If you'll make this one change and then resubmit the file, it should be good to go.

Thanks very much for your work on this section!

Jill :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 15th, 2017, 2:10 pm 

Joined: January 5th, 2017, 4:35 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Kent, Washington USA
Jill,
I have reuploaded section 3 as you instructed. Thank you for the very nice feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firesidechats_03_roosevelt.mp3

It was fun to record this! Learn something about history. And as I'm reading I can picture my grandparents gathered around the radio listening to these with my parents on their laps. :-)

I could not find an original FDR audiorecording of my section other than some computer generated one, which I found to be a good thing. For those reading, I recommend putting your own unique voice into them without first listening to FDR himself do yours as it may help in resisting the natural urge to mimic. Let's face it, that would be hard to do well!

Michael

_________________
Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 15th, 2017, 4:22 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
Mfassio wrote:
Jill,
I have reuploaded section 3 as you instructed. Thank you for the very nice feedback!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/firesidechats_03_roosevelt.mp3

It was fun to record this! Learn something about history. And as I'm reading I can picture my grandparents gathered around the radio listening to these with my parents on their laps. :-)

I could not find an original FDR audiorecording of my section other than some computer generated one, which I found to be a good thing. For those reading, I recommend putting your own unique voice into them without first listening to FDR himself do yours as it may help in resisting the natural urge to mimic. Let's face it, that would be hard to do well!

Michael


Thanks! It's now PL OK! Congrats!

Jill


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 16th, 2017, 7:52 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Posts: 12980
Location: Chicago, IL
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
Jill,

Looking further at the Fireside Chats on the UC SB website, I think they should PD as they are speeches given by a government official in the course of his official duties. That being said, I have written to the "contact" for that website to describe our project and ask if they make any claim in the transcribed text of those speeches.

For now, let's include them in the project. If we hear something back raising a question about the PD status, then we can pull them from the project.

And I'll move us over to Readers Wanted.

MaryAnn

Jill,

I've heard back from the American Presidency Project. They said we could use their transcripts if we provide attribution to their Project. As we release recordings under a PD license (no attribution required), I'm afraid that we won't be able to use American Presidency Project as a source. I have thanked them for their response and indicated that we would not use their material in our project.

I suggest that you leave those sections in the MW, remove the title and mark them as PL OK. That way, our section numbering doesn't change. I'll renumber the sections during cataloging to remove the gaps.

Disappointing, but at least we know.

MaryAnn

_________________
My Librivox solos
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, waddya say, Cubs are gonna win today!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
Jill,

Looking further at the Fireside Chats on the UC SB website, I think they should PD as they are speeches given by a government official in the course of his official duties. That being said, I have written to the "contact" for that website to describe our project and ask if they make any claim in the transcribed text of those speeches.

For now, let's include them in the project. If we hear something back raising a question about the PD status, then we can pull them from the project.

And I'll move us over to Readers Wanted.

MaryAnn

Jill,

I've heard back from the American Presidency Project. They said we could use their transcripts if we provide attribution to their Project. As we release recordings under a PD license (no attribution required), I'm afraid that we won't be able to use American Presidency Project as a source. I have thanked them for their response and indicated that we would not use their material in our project.

I suggest that you leave those sections in the MW, remove the title and mark them as PL OK. That way, our section numbering doesn't change. I'll renumber the sections during cataloging to remove the gaps.

Disappointing, but at least we know.

MaryAnn


If I were to listen to those speeches and transcribe them myself, releasing them into the public domain, would that work?


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 16th, 2017, 12:43 pm 

Joined: November 4th, 2012, 11:05 am
Posts: 2293
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes, USA
And/or the actual scanned text of his speeches are at the FDR library. It's the actual copies from the White House and there is a note about copyright on the page I listed below. I would be glad to contact them and find out about PD on them. If they are PD, I would maybe retype them since they have handwritten notes (by FDR) on them and might be confusing in their current format.

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collections/franklin/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=582

Sorry if I'm being a pain about finding these speeches, long ago I used to work in interlibrary loan and tracking down hard to find materials was one of my favorite things about that job, I guess that continued on even without the job. ;)

Jill


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 16th, 2017, 4:29 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Posts: 12980
Location: Chicago, IL
Jill,

You are quite the efficient tracker downer!

The problem with this site, which I suppose was also a problem with the UC SB website except that I didn't catch it at the time, is that neither source is traditionally published. We have gotten several suggestions lately to read "public domain" materials which have never been published in paper form and are only available on the internet. Those kind of sources can raise some uncertainties from a PD perspective, so to be fair to everyone (and create a somewhat clear line) we are looking to see that source materials have been traditionally published. The PG book which is your primary source was traditionally published. The materials from the FDR Archive do not appear to have been published in book form anywhere.

I would really prefer that we simply take the PG book and what it includes and stop there. Another option, if you would like to see the other three chats read, is to read them and upload them to Archive as a separate non-LV project. Anyone can upload to Archive . . . I've uploaded scans of old books and it truly is very easy.

MaryAnn

_________________
My Librivox solos
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, waddya say, Cubs are gonna win today!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: February 16th, 2017, 5:46 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Posts: 36360
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)
Section 16, please! This is right after Germany invaded Poland, sparking WWII.

_________________
Original journals on the Exploration of the Mississippi: Here
Thoughts on the Death Penalty: Here
Watergate Report, Vol 1: Here
Fiction about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group