Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA
|The Legends of the Jews, Volume 4 by Louis Ginzberg (1873 - 1953)
. Volunteers outside the USA: Rabbi Louis Ginzberg died in 1958. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
Volumes one and two were recorded back in 2007 and 2008.
1 - https://librivox.org/legends-of-the-jews-volume-1-by-louis-ginzberg/
2 - https://librivox.org/legends-of-the-jews-volume-2-by-louis-ginzberg/
3 - https://librivox.org/the-legends-of-the-jews-volume-3-by-louis-ginzberg/
(Completed February 2017)
Rabbi Louis Ginzberg was one of the outstanding Talmudists of the twentieth century. He was born on November 28, 1873, in Kovno, Lithuania; he died on November 11, 1953, in New York City. Ginzberg taught at the Jewish Theological seminary from 1903 to 1953. For 50 years, he trained two generations of Conservative Rabbis.
The Legends of the Jews is an epic 7-volume compilation of traditional Jewish stories loosely related to the Bible. Volumes 1-4 contain the stories, while volumes 5-7 contain Ginzberg's notes and commentary. Over the millenia, these stories, which expand on the Bible, flesh out the lives of biblical figures. In the process, they help bring to life the Bible's valuable lessons.
The Legends of the Jews has been called a monumental work of scholarship. It is studied by serious students of both Judaism and Christianity. And yet the stories continue to be accessible and understood by all. They were designed to impart lessons of the Torah, and any child or adult will find much to enjoy about this work. (Summary by Scott Sherris and Wikipedia)
Volume 4 covers BIBLE TIMES AND CHARACTERS FROM JOSHUA TO ESTHER
- How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
- New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
- Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
- Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2882
- Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard BC will also be DPL
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity); *Non-fiction/Religion
Keywords that describe the book: religion, samuel, solomon, Esther, Israel, judges, Judah, Jonah, David, joshua, saul, elisha
- BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
- DURING recording:
Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to your recording:
START of recording (Intro)
- "Chapter [number], (if applicable) Part [number] of The Legends of the Jews, Volume 4. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
- If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
"The Legends of the Jews, Volume 4, by Louis Ginzberg. [Chapter name, First Story Name]" example "Chapter 1, Joshua: The Servant of Moses"
- Your section includes multiple stories, include the following between stories:
- Leave a 3-second silence after the end of a story
- [Next Story Name]"
END of recording
- At the end of the section, say:
At the end of the section, say: "End of Chapter [number], (if applicable) Part [number] "
At the end of a chapter, say instead: "End of Chapter #, [Chapter Name]"
- If you wish, say:
[i]"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
- At the end of the Chapter 12, say (in addition):
"End of The Legends of the Jews, Volume 4, Bible Times and Characters from the Joshua to Esther by Rabbi Louis Ginzberg"
There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording. Please note that for section longer than 30 minutes the ending silence should still be 5 seconds.
Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
- AFTER recording
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
legendsofthejewsvolume4_##_ginzberg_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. legendsofthejewsvolume4_01_ginzberg_128kb.mp3)
- Example ID3 V2 tags
Please ignore ID3 tags – These will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Please post below
_________________My PL list
Last edited by linny on February 21st, 2017, 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.